hospital stays and insurance coverage

jilltaylor

We have been on medicaid to cover my sons medical costs with cystic fibrosis. We are preparing for the future and wondering how much typical insurance companies pay for hospital stays. Does any insurance company cover 100% of stays? Or even 95% of the cost? Please let me know your experiences with hospital stays and the cost you've had to fork out. Thanks!

JENNYC

I should have added this in my other post :) Our hospitalization insurance covers 80 or 85%, I forget. What we just last year is we bought supplemental insurance because Abby is in so much. It is called Combined Insurance, and it basically gives us money anytime we are admitted or have an emergency room visit, or a surgery. For instance: it gives us $800 for each hospital admission, and then an additional $200 a day that she is in the hospital. For surgeries it gives us $1,000, it also covers room and gas if needed. We bought it for the whole family and it ended up being $143 per month, but in our instance it paid us to have it. We had a one year waiting period with a pre-existing condition and that will be up in October so I am feeling much better financially!! I figured it up and one year if we would have had it, it would have paid us $7,125!!!! That's just crazy!! I of course figured it for every year, to see if it would benefit us and every single year it would have paid for itself with extra money in our pocket! And they can never cancel us, unless of course we don't pay. I will say this, my normal medical expenses for the entire year, whole family is usually between 10,000 and 12,000 per year out of our pockets. But Abby is an unusual little CFer as well that has surgeries and hospital stays every year :) So my input may not help, but it might so I posted. :) Again best of luck!! :)

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Ours is 90% coverage and there's an out of pocket maximum, too. When DS was in the hospital a few years ago, I think we had to pay a couple hundred dollars when it was all said and done -- radiology, surgical services, doctors calls, hospitalization bills all came at different times. So the way everything was billed it wasn't as if we had a huge chunk of change all at once.

Also, during his stay I wasn't buying groceries, putting gas in my car or paying for daycare those 3 weeks, so I did have some extra money to play with.