Houston, TX adult CF Clinic - Any Info will help

apiciz7

Possibly moving to Houston and will be switching to the Houston Adult CF Clinic. Moving to a new clinic is always nerve wracking, because you get so used to the way the clinic runs you go to now. Anyone out there have any pros or cons against this clinic?

Thanks!

njlins

You are so lucky. I just moved from my Houston CF adult clinic and miss them so miuch. They excel in CF infection protocol. Dr Marsha Katz is the most kinowledgeable and bubbly doctor you could ever find. The respiratory therapist Bethanne is superior too. The nurse is Carolyn and she is the best too. I really miss them and wish I were back there. I don't think you will find a better patient friendly and supportative group and most of all they know how to treat CF. Good luck and tell them I gave you a head up. I am 69 and one of their if not their oldest CF patient so I am easy to remember. Norma Jean

njlins

Thanks, Bill, I too have DeltaF 508 and the 5T variant which has a 13 GT which I recently learned is significant as a CF gene when accompanied with another CF gene. It can be either the 5T GH 12 or 13 and be significant. Other 5T varients are not significant. I also have a 9T varient which is not signficant at this time. I was not detected until age 53 but was ill my entire life with mostly sinusitis and GI problems. What is 100%? I too have MAC and mycobacterium chelonae and absessus (sorry about spelling) and other nasty busg but doing good for the shape I am in. LOL I am sure that the CF treatments have saved my life as I was so sick by the time I was diagnosed with pseudonomas and other infection which my local ENT did not culture or realize it was bad. I had to cry in his office. He then took me seriously and sent me to Houston where my ENT immediately took me seriously and diagnoed me. And then I have been getting the care I need.

Printer

100% PI simply means that I my pancreas does not produce any enzymes.

Your story is very common among us who were dx later in life. Much healthier after the dx.

Bill

adamsants

I am so glad that Methodist is getting a thumbs up. My son is moving from Texas Children's (where he has been for the past 19 years) to Methodist this month. We are nervous about the move. This sets my mind at ease a bit!

apiciz7

You are so lucky. I just moved from my Houston CF adult clinic and miss them so miuch. They excel in CF infection protocol. Dr Marsha Katz is the most kinowledgeable and bubbly doctor you could ever find. The respiratory therapist Bethanne is superior too. The nurse is Carolyn and she is the best too. I really miss them and wish I were back there. I don't think you will find a better patient friendly and supportative group and most of all they know how to treat CF. Good luck and tell them I gave you a head up. I am 69 and one of their if not their oldest CF patient so I am easy to remember. Norma Jean

Thank you so much for responding. This makes me feel so much better about the move. Can you tell me if you need IV antibiotics, do they admit you in hospital first and then send you home on IV or will they start you on IV at home as long as you are not too sick? The clinic I go to now, will start you on IV at home (which I love) as long as your PFT's didn't drop extremely too low with your sickness. Maybe one day I will run into you there! :)

nanny

I am a patient at the Baylor Adult CF Clinic in Houston. I agree with the comments about how good they are. Welcome to Houston. This is my first post. I was diagnosed the week before my 73rd birthday after a lifetime of sinus misery and coughing and two sinus surgeries. The treatments and medications have made an enormous improvement in my quality of life. Many thanks to Dr. Katz and her team.

njlins

I am a bit confused. The Houston Adult CF clinic is at Baylor. But Dr. Katz admits her patients at Methodist. They are just blocks from each other. I see my ENT at one clinic and then walk the few blocks to Baylor to see the adult CF center doctor Katz. The ENT admits at Methodist too. TX Children's is across the street from Baylor. When I had my apppointments there I would watch the extensive expansion of the Childrens Hopsital going up. Don't be nervous about the move. Dr. Katz and her newer Dr in the practice Dr. Bartow are great. You will love her. Please tell her that I said, "Hi." Norma Jean

AggieGeologist

Hi apiciz7, I was born and raised here in Houston and I have been going to the Adult CF Center at Baylor College of Medicine for about 8 years now. I used to go to Texas Children's but they kicked me out when I turned 21 and I was very hesitant and nervous about switching to the adult center but Dr. Katz and the crew are amazing! I love it there! I feel very blessed to have such a great team working to keep my life as great as it is. And yes, they will let you start IV antibiotics at home as soon as you get your picc placed unless you are really sick. I was recently in the hospital last November (for the first time in 2 years) and I went in for about 4 days so they could run test and then I got my picc line and went home. I usually just start IV meds at home unless they want to put me on a med I haven't had before (for allergic reaction purposes). And depending on how sick I am, I still go to work with my picc and just do my meds in my office throughout the day. Don't be nervous about the move...the Houston Medical Center is one of the best in the world so you will be in good hands. And you will love Dr. Katz and the crew, they really are amazing and caring people and make my trips to the doctor a little less nerve-racking. Good luck with the move!

randomgirl

I also go to the Baylor Clinic in Houston. I've been going there for 8 years. I don't have any complaints (I get along with anyone though and am easy going). The doctors that I have met there are Dr. Katz (understanding, concerned about your health, and gets things done for you), Dr. Campbell (met her once but she listened very well and showed compassion and ordered tests right away for me for a complaint I had), Suzanne (a wonderful nurse who is caring and helps you any way she can), and Dr. Peacock (only met her a few times but she was an intent listener that was also helpful).