How bad is smoking pot?

Enzo2311

I'm just curious, how bad is smoking pot (out of a bubbler/bong) for your lungs if you only smoke 2-4x a week? I also have a question about drug testing, if you're applying for a job and they require a drug test and you fail it, do they call the police or are you just denied of the job? What about drug tests at a phlegm checkup or blood tests at a hospital, if you fail is it just between you and your dr or do they call the police?

I figure it's a whole lot healthier in comparison to ecigs and it's twice as healthy than cigs. I kinda think of it as breathing in camp fire smoke in a way, but maybe even healthier?

B

badweather

I find that it helps quite a lot.

As an expectorant it is pretty good.

There are studies that show cannabis has some anti-cancer effects even though it has twice the benzene of cigarettes.

Eating or vaporizing (what I do) is best of course.

benefits I derive are increased appetite, anti-nausea, anti-depressant, anti-migraine,

it may prevent diabetes, and promote lipid function in the liver

here's a blog post that I keep updating as I discover more information regarding the efficacy of cannabis for cystic fibrosis patients. Having CF myself, I'm very interested in the fact that many cannabinoids are actually antiboitic.

Marijuana Helps My Cystic Fibrosis And My Migraines
http://qcmississippimud.com/blogger/2012/11/05/marijuana-helps-my-cystic-fibrosis-and-my-migraines/

here is the best paper directly suggesting that cannabis helps CF by a doctor:

Cannabinoids and Cystic Fibrosis: A Novel Approach to Etiology and Therapy
http://www.cannabis-med.org/data/pdf/2002-01-2.pdf

I have a DF508 and a D1152h btw

anien2

smoking pot is twice as healthy than cigs?? I think you mean is half as harmful. I assume you are an adult so I wont tell you what to do with your life, but smoking pot if you are applying for a job sure wont help. Not to mention the CF issues.

azdesertrat

Smoking ANYTHING is a bad idea when you have a chronic lung disease.
Should you fail a pre-employment drug screening, you will not be hired. I've never heard of police being called & a person being arrested for failing a drug screening.
As far as I know, police can't use that as evidence to build a case against you. Same with blood work, phlegm testing, etc. etc.
I will reiterate though, it is simply not a good idea to smoke anything when you have CF.
If you really feel the need to get high, eat some brownies or use a vaporizer.
Even then, I'm not sure if there could be complications with your lungs from using a vaporizer to inhale THC.

W

welshwitch

Speaking from experience, it never really yielded good results for me. Dried out my lungs, making my airways feel tight. Lots of coughing. Why add more coughing when you already have CF?

D

Dhobs

Look up a recipe for green butter, then bake any goody you want using green butter instead of regular butter. It takes longer for the feeling to take effect than when you smoke it.

It seems contradictory to smoke anything when you have CF, so I'd stick with edibles.

Also, if you are looking for work, lay off the weed. They don't call the cops on you, but work is more important than weed.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
As for a pre-employment drug screen, check with your friends and find where to get a pee kit. Just like the movies, a small container with drug free male urine and a means of delivery at the time of the test slips in your shorts and you're a drug free employee. Every young adult I have met seems to know about these. You won’t have difficulty finding one. Some employers screen for drugs only at the time of employment so one test is it. Some employers' policies extend to drug tests after employment. They are either RDT or random drug tests or scheduled tests. Chances are good the jobs your looking at don't test after your pre-employment screening but find out.

The difference between ethics and morality is action. You may know something is wrong which makes you ethical. Not doing wrong is morality. I have been employee and employer and I personally find drug testing offensive from either viewpoint. It is against my moral principles to invade the bodies of people, or their credit history and such to satisfy my standards for employment. I also have submitted to extensive personal background checks including drug testing in order to secure certain business for the company. People have repaid me with loyalty and some have paid with deception, hurting me, our company, our customers and themselves in this betrayal of trust.

I don't know any employer that would risk reporting a positive drug screen on a potential employee to anybody. It is not my job as an employer to police the public. It isn't why I am in business and any effort to follow the life of a disqualified job applicant is unprofitable and a crime. Reporting a poor soul who fails a drug screening for employment would invite lawsuits and I would bet against the employer, and the media attention could turn talented people away from companies with punitive employment policies. It could be a company's death knell.

A positive RDT or random drug test as an employee is a different issue. The employee rules or handbook must inform you of any RDT policy in writing. In that document the remedies or rules, testing procedures, your implicit permission to a drug test and the consequences of a positive drugs test are in black and white. It should be carefully read and read again by a trusted friend for now. Later in your life when you have a family and career that friend might be an attorney. Your being fired with no notice may be the remedy or the procedure to end your employment. In a "position of trust" a legal term for working with little kids, the elderly or a judge, policeman or Mikky D's playground supervisor could be criminal if something happened and you just failed a RDT. Chances are very good that most of your peers are entering the workplace with the same concern. Nearly all will either cheat or just drink, ugh, alcohol to numb their pain. Just be able to do your job, be prompt and reliable, and always be worth more to your employer than he/she is to you.

Your employment will determine the next step. If “Walsmart” or “Wendals” ran RDTs on employees, there would always be new openings because an estimated 60% of new employees cheated or got clean for jobs requiring a drug test prior to. Truck and bus drivers once were just expected to be on drugs. Today RDTs for truckers keep a pretty clean record. They tend to be certain that no violations soil the reputation of a truck driver. There are many parallels in day care, medicine and technology. To be legitimate after employment, or possibly be excused from a RDT, a prescription for Marinol gets you out of any THC found in the test whether you take the Marinol of vaporize pot.

I get some relief vaporizing pot. To monitor its effects, keep track of your FEV PFT numbers in relationship to your pot use. Two modest bong hits a day isn't bad from my vantage, but it is your lungs and your decision. Use a lighter, never a match. Find or buy a 10X loupe or magnifier to study the pot before purchase. Study an area under high magnification for fifteen seconds, looking for moving critters like mites and aphids. It should be free of tiny bugs. You can also tell if there is any mold growing on it. Next use your nose. A hint of mildew or mold, insecticides or herbicide will be detectable and it's thanks but no thanks. Buy another time or place. This is important and sometimes the pressure to purchase is on you. Save your money and buy more of some clean schist.

Smoking marijuana is approximate to tobacco, in that truly unhealthy tars and carcinogenic products of combustion, or smoke, is inhaled. If tobacco use was limited to a couple bong hits a day, it wouldn’t be on medicines most wanted list but it would be similar to second hand smoke at worst. Keep your bong clean with soap and water and always dump out the water after using it.

I just Googled VapirNO2, the brand of vaporizer I use and it’s now about half of what mine cost. Check out the bargains, I found one on Overstock.com for $90. They are a digitally temperature controlled chamber vaporizer with a 0.004” stainless steel mesh filter. You prepare a little pot, preheat the vaporizer to between 356-360 degrees F. drop the pot in, and draw the vapors into your lungs. THC has a boiling point of 315 degrees F. and CBDs boil between 160-180 degrees C. or up to 356 degrees Cannabidiol (CBD(s)) have most of the therapeutics ascribed to help in MS, CF and other chronic diseases.

It is a thin line legally, but Vapir NO2 is accurately marketed as a medical product albeit for holistic use. It carefully controls the heat in the chamber at any temperature up to 400 F. (204 C.).

It has genuine potential as a drug delivery method for CF patients. In theory, any drug or compound that boils below 400 degrees F. could be vaporized and inhaled. This assumes the drug or compound isn’t destroyed at its particular boiling point, or when it goes into vapor. In addition to boiling off THC-CBDs, antibiotics or “bio-film solvents”, even turmeric if you please could be raised to vapor point and inhaled with this device. Keep it clean with rubbing alcohol.

Please purchase a vaporizer as soon as possible and consider edibles as an alternative.

LL

azdesertrat

I can tell you that truck drivers are subject to random drug tests, anytime, anywhere. I used to think I only had to worry about a random when I was in my home terminal, St. Paul, MN.
Then a few times when I called dispatch for my next load, I was told to proceed to a lab in Atlanta, among other places.
I was told to proceed to said lab IMMEDIATELY. Dispatch always called the lab to make sure I was there in the time allotted. It's the same with random alcohol screening. It's a rare case anymore when a truck driver is involved with an incident involving drugs or alcohol.

sroeseler

I'm just curious, how bad is smoking pot (out of a bubbler/bong) for your lungs if you only smoke 2-4x a week? I also have a question about drug testing, if you're applying for a job and they require a drug test and you fail it, do they call the police or are you just denied of the job? What about drug tests at a phlegm checkup or blood tests at a hospital, if you fail is it just between you and your dr or do they call the police?

I figure it's a whole lot healthier in comparison to ecigs and it's twice as healthy than cigs. I kinda think of it as breathing in camp fire smoke in a way, but maybe even healthier?

while I can't tell you I think it's ever a good idea for you to smoke anything or be around those that do. I can tell you it's not against the law to have drugs in your system it is only illegal to possess, sell or buy them as well as drive impaired under the influence of any substance, so no you will never have the police called for failing a test but you can be assured you won't get a job with it in your system. your doctor may council you and depending on your state and situation you can be offered or forced to a rehab center as well and if your a dependant your care taker will be notified of the screen results.

jersmith

Banned
People saying weed is cool and whatnot and mainly reasserting themselves that what they do is ok.

It's like smoking cigarettes, you end up conjuring up benefits for a very detrimental process. It's called an adiction mechanism and it's very hard to counter act.

Yes, it's bad for you. Makes you lose your mental sharpness and, with time, make you more prone to paranoia and depression. Some people are more susceptible to this than others, obviously.

M

m.coteklein

Aspergillus can be found in weed, and that is one thing that one does not want to develop an allergy to (called Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis). I have an allergy to it and it required me to be on I.V.'s last year. So, I would urge you not to try it to be on the safe side, but, if you do decide to use it-be careful.

Simba15

VERY bad

How bad? VERY bad. Smoking is bad for the lungs of all people. With CF your lungs are compromised. Smoking anything is going to tax them and make them work hard and quickly deteriorate them. DON'T DO IT.

Simba15

while I can't tell you I think it's ever a good idea for you to smoke anything or be around those that do. I can tell you it's not against the law to have drugs in your system it is only illegal to possess, sell or buy them as well as drive impaired under the influence of any substance, so no you will never have the police called for failing a test but you can be assured you won't get a job with it in your system. your doctor may council you and depending on your state and situation you can be offered or forced to a rehab center as well and if your a dependant your care taker will be notified of the screen results.
It IS against the law to have drugs in your system if you are driving and endangering the lives of others!

Daisymae1997

Am I the only one?

Am I the only one that has looked at your profile and realized that you don't even have CF????

politicaljules

I would worry about smoking something that is not regulated in how it is grown or what pesticides are used on it. In some parts of the world, B.Cepacia is used as a pesticide on crops. Not to mention the likelihood of pseudomonas being in the soil and on the plants.

nmw0615

I'm just confused. In many of your past posts, you want to lose weight. You ask about supplements, the best ways to lose weight, how easy it is for you to gain weight. And now you want MM for a dietary stimulant?

I'm sorry, but based on past posts of yours, it sounds like you just want a reason to get high.

On top of that, smoking anything into already compromised lungs is a bad idea. I'm not a fan of marijuana for personal reasons, but I would think if you want it for the reasons you state and not just to get high, edibles would be better.