How can I lose fat safely?

Enzo2311

So I want abs really bad. I sort of do, but there is a layer of fat covering them. What can I do? How can I calculate how many calories I burn? From what I understand, cf makes you burn a lot more calories. If I ate healthy and I was strict with my diet, and I ate a calorie deficit, will that make me lose fat and will that be safe? Of course I will exercise as well.

knowitall

Banned
If you want ABS, work out your ABS. It doesn't happen in a week it takes months. You can supplement with coconut oil to help burn fat from just your ABS. You do not need to take enzymes with coconut oil because it is absorbed by your liver. Do not take more than 3 tablespoons in a day.

AmalynRose

I would suggest seeing a dietitian before making any significant changes to your diet. If all you are targeting is your abs, then exercising them more will help burn the fat around that area. If you are looking to just get to a healthier weight, websites or apps like http://www.sparkpeople.com/ or http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ are what my dietitian recommended for me (I have used both, and both are wonderful). Again, I cannot stress the importance of talking to your doctor or a dietitian before changing your calorie intake. Lowering your calorie intake will make you loose weight, but you still need to be eating the right kinds of foods to keep your immune system strong.

Gaining muscle or loosing weight doesn't happen over night, like knowitall stated. Don't go into it with the expectation of being ripped in one month. Don't get discouraged, either, if it's not coming off as fast as you had hoped. Keep chugging away and it will happen, just give it time!

Best of luck!

Twistofchaos

Abs are mainly made in the kitchen. You can hit your abs all day long with crunches and other creative nonsense but most likely all you'll be doing is hurting your back and creating hipinbalance and other stuff you don't want. Because contrary to tellsell television..they have quite limited potential to grow and there's just no such thing as localised fatburn to a point where that is noticeable.

You do want a balanced strong core and from earlier posts I believe you are getting into weightlifting so most likely you are squatting and deadlifting. Then you're pretty much set. Because those hit your abs incredibly hard.

So indeed for visible abs you need a low fat%. For men usually around 10% or less. There's a big genetic component there. Some people will easily have big ripped abs at 12% while others will barely have anything at 6%.

But remember that a low fat% is counterproductive to high resistance and bodyreserve that we need with CF.
So if you want to cut at all atleast take it slow, 1-200KCal under maintenance at most. But most likely you lose some fluidretention that way and feel better about your body very quickly anyway.
And keep watching for any telltale signs and up your intake right away when there's tummyaches, fever, feel crappy or stop recovering well, if you go on antibiotics and so on.

And maybe get one of those calipers so you can atleast get a ballpark estimate of your fat% and atleast keep it at 10% or above. But that might be lower than you think, especially when you've put on some musclemass.

Enzo2311

If you want ABS, work out your ABS. It doesn't happen in a week it takes months. You can supplement with coconut oil to help burn fat from just your ABS. You do not need to take enzymes with coconut oil because it is absorbed by your liver. Do not take more than 3 tablespoons in a day.
really coconut oil is a good fat burner?
Abs are mainly made in the kitchen. You can hit your abs all day long with crunches and other creative nonsense but most likely all you'll be doing is hurting your back and creating hipinbalance and other stuff you don't want. Because contrary to tellsell television..they have quite limited potential to grow and there's just no such thing as localised fatburn to a point where that is noticeable.

You do want a balanced strong core and from earlier posts I believe you are getting into weightlifting so most likely you are squatting and deadlifting. Then you're pretty much set. Because those hit your abs incredibly hard.

So indeed for visible abs you need a low fat%. For men usually around 10% or less. There's a big genetic component there. Some people will easily have big ripped abs at 12% while others will barely have anything at 6%.

But remember that a low fat% is counterproductive to high resistance and bodyreserve that we need with CF.
So if you want to cut at all atleast take it slow, 1-200KCal under maintenance at most. But most likely you lose some fluidretention that way and feel better about your body very quickly anyway.
And keep watching for any telltale signs and up your intake right away when there's tummyaches, fever, feel crappy or stop recovering well, if you go on antibiotics and so on.

And maybe get one of those calipers so you can atleast get a ballpark estimate of your fat% and atleast keep it at 10% or above. But that might be lower than you think, especially when you've put on some musclemass.
yep I know this. I was about to say something like this to the other people who think you can target fat when you cannot target it. And I was gonna mention the thing about working the abs to gt them cause I know that it's about what you eat. I just wanted to make sure that I could do a calorie deficit. I talked to my dr and he said to just eat healthy and exercise. But never went into specifics

So I shouldn't go below 10% bf? Jw, but why can't I go lower? To like, 8% bf? Also, do you know any way I can determine how many calories I should eat? Or do you think you can help tell me how many I burn?

Twistofchaos

Simply go from how much you are eating now and very slowly adjust it and carefully watch what happens to your body and how you feel. Takes a while to learn how much your body uses on an average day, when you workout, when you get sick, so on.

Yes we can do a small Calorie deficit but only when we're "healthy". The moment something comes up, when we might of been exposed to snotty folks or we get sick, it's all you can eat! Remember that.

So where are you at now with your weight?
10% a good middleground between being "ripped" and having some reserves. Any lower as a natural and you'll start to notice your body will tap into your musclereserves at the drop of a hat and most likely you'll notice your legs getting skinnier and lose strength. Not very useful when we have to work so hard to put any on.
But it's lower than you might think and more "ripped" than anyone you'll meet out on an average day. <10% is hardcore athlete territory and even they don't want to stay low like that all year if they depend on strength. For me it also prevents the completely caved in underfed-CF-sick-look-face etc.

azmaveth

If you do decide to start targeting your abs with crunches, etc, please be sure to do some back exercises as well. Like Twistofchaos said above, you want a strong, balanced core. If any muscle groups are drastically stronger than others, you risk injury that can follow you around for life. Take it from someone who just got out of the Marine Corps and has the back problems to show for it. Military physical training is very unbalanced, unfortunately.

Enzo2311

Simply go from how much you are eating now and very slowly adjust it and carefully watch what happens to your body and how you feel. Takes a while to learn how much your body uses on an average day, when you workout, when you get sick, so on.

Yes we can do a small Calorie deficit but only when we're "healthy". The moment something comes up, when we might of been exposed to snotty folks or we get sick, it's all you can eat! Remember that.

So where are you at now with your weight?
10% a good middleground between being "ripped" and having some reserves. Any lower as a natural and you'll start to notice your body will tap into your musclereserves at the drop of a hat and most likely you'll notice your legs getting skinnier and lose strength. Not very useful when we have to work so hard to put any on.
But it's lower than you might think and more "ripped" than anyone you'll meet out on an average day. <10% is hardcore athlete territory and even they don't want to stay low like that all year if they depend on strength. For me it also prevents the completely caved in underfed-CF-sick-look-face etc.
im 155 lb.
5 foot 8-9 iinches
and in almost 18 yr old
and I believe I'm around 15-18% bf

Melissa75

Administrator
Just want to throw out there that women can have a higher body fat % and ripped abs...if they carry weight in their butt.

Also, when I was little, my dad used to say people generally fell into one of three categories: endomorphs, ectomorphs and mesomorphs. (Google any of those words and see the amusing drawings under "images".) And he said that you can only modify what you are to a certain extent and still be healthy. (CF would be an example of a disease that, through lack of absorbtion of fat and nutrients, can thin a body's shape too far/past what would otherwise be its set-point.)

I don't hear people talk about those categories anymore. Maybe because the obesity health crisis has changed the bodyscape of America altogether? Anyway, at the gym I've been going to for years, seeing the same people for years, it seems to hold true that people have certain genetic physical types--roughly--a mesomorph is muscle-y, an ectomorph is thin, and an endomorph carries more body fat. No body/nobody there changes A LOT. Some change relative to past selves, yes. But no dramatic transformations.

Anyhoo, I'm sure with regular core and aerobic exercise, you will see an improvement in the look of your abdomen. Just don't let yourself give up or be disheartened if you don't immediately (or ever) look like a probably-photoshopped picture on the internet.

G

goherbs87654

Healthy diet, exercise, stay focused and consistent. Don't lose track even once. Watch out what you eat. Anyway, do you have CF? I thought CF patients are having problems with weight gain.

Enzo2311

I do have CF and I don't have a big problem with weight gain. But the weight I have gained has been fat not muscle

delta F508

knowitall

Banned
Goherbs87654... not all CF'ers are pancreatic insufficient, meaning not all have a hard time gaining weight. Mutations that are pancreatic sufficient generally support biosynthesis on the CFTR level thus having normal protein, but result in Narrow Channel (Conductance Mutations aka Class IV) or Class VI mutations which are poor quality of protein, or Class V which is lack of good amounts of protein.

A

Adwerd

There are really nice and most effective post. According to me you should concentrate to your diet and exercise. You should take low fat and carbs in your diet. Green tea is also effective for losing fat. But with your diet you must take cardio exercise. According to me cycling and swimming are most effective for this purpose.

Gemmy

Banned
Exercise is one of the best ways to get your brown fat in gear. In a study, scientists at Harvard's Dana-Farber Cancer Institute discovered that working out releases a hormone called irisin, which converts white fat to brown. Exercise for a half hour at least five days a week to turn up the burn.

S

Steve143

I do agree with above member, exercise is best solution for burning fats of your body. Always adopt a quality workout rather than long one. Be consistent and work efficiently. Eat right diet and avoid eating unhealthy foods.

B

Bruce555

Don't take junk foods and fast foods if you want to lose your belly fat.
Replace your junk foods diet with raw veggies foods and organic diet plan.
Add some natural fat burning foods in your diet plan such as green tea, citrus fruits juices, green vegetables soups, fish, and fish oil etc.

Carick

Don't worry dear, it's not a big deal I know you can't lose weight in a week it take months but you can do it. I always suggest herbal and effective ways like you drink green tea in your daily routine and drink orange juice because it's very effective and a big source of vitamin C, these tips has not any side effects.
With some useful tips a person can easily reduce his weight. These are some few simple tips and i am sure that you will like.
Drink more water
Avoid fast food
Do a walk daily
Eat less quantity food
Do exercise daily
Drink fruit juice or eat fruits and vegetables.

RobinB29

I'm trying to tone up too. After two kids and I'm approaching 30, it's rough. I don't eat gluten, cows milk dairy or soy cause I have Celiacs and those things give me massive joint aches. I don't see any reason for anyone else to give up those things but for me the GF foods tasted so crappy I began to eat less carbs and more protein which helped a lot. I have an app called MyFitnessPal which helps me track calories and see a pie chart breakdown of my protein-carbs-fat intake daily and it works in combination with the FitBit app and tracker which helps me see how active I am and set goals. FitBit also monitors your sleep patterns. I do take in workout supplements, but mainly just vitamin and BCAA mixtures. I'm a chick so no testosterone boosters or creatine. I work out 6 days a week, 10-30 minutes of cardio and 20-45 minutes weightlifting and I isolate individual muscle groups and make sure I rest muscles for recovery. For post workouts I make smoothies with veggies, almond milk and egg white protein powder. I also don't drink soda, take in minimal sugar and drink 64 oz water per day. It's only been 45 days on this plan but I've lost three inches off my waist and maintained my weight at 130 and I can actually see muscle definition in my arms and legs....my butt is another story....I shoot for about 1800 calories a day, this seems to be plenty- I'm not the kind to walk around hungry for a diet goal but everyone with CF is different so I would say eat healthy and keep track of your calories for a few days and see where your baseline is and then cut calories very minimally and add workouts. In week three I was trying for 1200 calories but then I noticed I was seriously lacking energy and losing 1/2 pound a day and my mucus was looking greener. I upped my calorie intake and felt a lot better. The key is just to keep working out and eating right. They tell us CF folks we can eat anything we want so long as we gain weight but just because you can eat 3000 calories a day in junk food and not be obese doesn't mean you'll be healthy. Eat whole foods, the longer the ingredients label the worse something is for you.