how common is it to get kidney stones when you have CF.?

jshet

My son just turned 18. He has passed 3 in the last year. The nephrologist said people with cf are at a higher risk of them when there are dehydration issues. They did a 24 hr urine on him twice. Dehydration was an issue, and not enough citrate in his urine. Will need to take potassium citrate for the rest of his life, and push extra fluids.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
The thirst response in CFers is frequently muted or non existent. In spite of constant reminding by my doctor, it just never sank in. You need a reminder like a favorite water bottle. The reason soft drinks from vendors come with straws is it's been proven customers will consume huge pricey drinks from a straw but will leave most of the drink behind if they have to use a glass. Canned beverage companies paid a fortune for the funnel like pop top invention, twice! If you are old enough to remember, the original pop top was a pull tab that detached the whole thing from the can leaving a modest tear drop opening. Not exactly the best design to slam a drink. Although it became a larger opening when they redesigned the pop top to remain in the can the gulper openings gaining popularity is the beverage equivalent of spiking a beer. My point is we need a convenient, available means to keep downing water and you want to put some thought into a hydration source. And so much technology has gone into the deep sip.

I had kidney stones from about ten until my fifties when I was diagnosed. My thirst response is practically non existent which explains my chronic dehydration as a kid. When I was old enough to realize that I needed a full gallon of water based liquid daily to ward off kidney stones I was traveling most of the time. It was difficult to impossible to stock or buy water in the volumes I needed.

This may sound like an excuse but forty years ago bottled water wasn't that available, especially in North Africa where I was at the time. You'd think once you have one kidney stone, you will never be caught without water again. If you have a stone and certainly if you've had two or more, there's a constant stream of "gravel" passing through the urinary tract. They're all stones in the making. And there might be an actual problem behind not keeping hydrated.

I have a Starbucks Venté cold cup that's 24 ounces and the double wall keeps my drink cold. Gatorade is lauded by athletes and doctors. We need chloride and we mostly utilize salt or sodium chloride as much as extra water. Keeping all the electrolytes in balance is vital because that contributes as much as water to stone formation. Lastly keeping up on vitamins and minerals in appropriate proportions is important because vitamins often fix our minerals like D helping calcium maintain bones and not grow kidney stones. I mix equal amounts of coconut water, fruit juice and Gatorade as my electrolyte drink.

Here's hoping you NEVER have another kidney stone,

LL

Hey--I got them frequently until three years ago when I had some nurses teach me how to access my own port. Now (with my doctor's blessing, of course) I gravity infuse three bags a week. MUCH better on the kidney stones! Good luck.

Just as a side note, my Mom's borne two children and had kidney stones and says kidney stones are much worse!!

static

I can attest they hurt like hell. I've only had one so far *knock on wood* but I agree water water water.

kmhbeauty

Im DDF508 and I had a 1cm stone. One of the biggest the doctor had seen. It was removed when I was 27 or 28. Im 29 now.