How do enzymes work?

anonymous

I may be becoming pancreatic insufficient (I see my doc on the 24th so I'll talk to him then). I was wondering how supplemental enzymes work...I understand how normal enzymes produced by your own body work and how they help digest food, I mean - how do the supplemental type affect the CF person. Does it make you gain weight? Or does it simply aid in the breakdown of food? I'm just curious because I know it's hard for the CF person to gain weight, but I always figured that taking enough supplemental enzymes would make them able to keep the weight on or gain more. Also, I had tried enzymes in the past (when my docs thought I had IBS) and they caused a lot more problems - I'd take them 15 minutes before my meal and have no appetite or I'd get full really quickly. I'd also get horrible cramping and constipation. Anyone else have problems with enzymes?Thanks!Piper

anonymous

how do enzymes work..your body's naturally occurring enzymes cannot escape from your pancrease so taking them orally introduces them to your system. It is widely suggested that your doctor specifies 'no substitutes' for your prescription, meaning 'no generic'...problems have been identified with the use of generic enzymes...good luckken

kybert

im not sure exactly how they break down the fats but there is a particular enzyme in the pills that does it. cant remember which 'ase' does it. it does make you gain weight, but alot of people still have trouble putting it on. enzymes cant replace and arent as good as the real enzymes your body produces so weight can still be a problem. i wouldnt recommend taking enzymes 15 minutes before food. people often say it fills them up and they cant eat. i take them immediately before food. i doubt theyd cause cramping and constipation, unless you were on a dose that was far too high. i think a sign of taking too many enzymes is that your butt hurts [i dont know what kind of pain]

anonymous

I, too had cramping w/ a certain type of enzyme (can't remember the name) and I switched to another type & have done great. There are a couple of different options. I use Ultrase now & haven't had the cramping.As far as the weight gain goes...common sense would tell us that you would gain weight when your food is broke down properly, but I really have never asked my Dr that question. Sometimes I have had constipation problems w/ enzymes & I somtimes lay off a little until the constipation gets better & start back up again. I'm sure no Dr would suggest this, but it works for me. Up to this point, though, I've not really had a problem w/ weight loss, when I do, I'm sure I'll use enzymes all the time, constipated or not (such nice things to discuss, huh?) I hope all goes well for you.

anonymous

The enzymes did not help me gain weight, but they did help me digest my food before I started taking enzymes I had to use the crapper about 5 times a day, now 2 at the most.Dave 29 w/cf