How do I fatten up a banana bread mix?

humphrey711

My 5yr old loves banana bread. I usually use a mix and make one or two loafs a weeks. She takes it to school for snack in the morning and will often eat what is left for the afternoon snack period too. It is a box mix and calls for eggs and oil and water. Is there anything I can do add some calories? She doesn't like it with butter or nuts so those are out. I am also open to making it from scratch if anyone has a good recipe.

Thanks!

LouLou

So glad I saw this thread! I receive Cooking Light which had an article with 15 different banana breads. I made a couple & one had a delicate peanut butter drizzle on it. I have found it!
http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-...pes-staff-favorites-00400000041611/page5.html
and you can scroll through to see the other 15 recipes.

Since it is something you are doing regularly I would find a recipe that is easy and stick with it instead of using the box mixes that are so processed and full of junk. You could take a large ziploc and mix all the dry ingredients in advance to make it easier and like a box mix in terms of convenience. Additionally, remember that banana bread freezes really well.

Flax and coconut oil would be great additions to box or recipes!
Enjoy!

humphrey711

These recipes are great. Thanks! One question...what can I use instead of the low fat yogurt to add calories? Would cream cheese work? This is for the chocolate banana bread.

chicagocubsmom

Coconut oil as someone recommended. Also, to keep it moist I use a combination of whole milk and full fat sour cream. That's a good substitution for yogurt. For whatever the yogurt amount calls for - I generally will do half milk and half sour cream. I'll try to post my recipe later but I don't think it has exact nutrition details (calories, etc.)