How do you keep your hope alive?

LisaGreene

Hi All,
I've been invited to write an article for a parenting magazine about CF with a focus on how we keep our hope alive. I thought it would be fun to have our collective ideas rather than just mine. We can learn so much more from each other.

A couple of things that help me when I feel sort of blue about our kids having CF are: helping others either by writing or volunteering to do something and reading inspiring stories of other people who have overcome the odds.

So, how do you keep your hope alive?

Thanks!
Lisa G.
mom of 2 kids with CF and author

LisaGreene

Hi All,
I've been invited to write an article for a parenting magazine about CF with a focus on how we keep our hope alive. I thought it would be fun to have our collective ideas rather than just mine. We can learn so much more from each other.

A couple of things that help me when I feel sort of blue about our kids having CF are: helping others either by writing or volunteering to do something and reading inspiring stories of other people who have overcome the odds.

Thanks!
Lisa G.

LisaGreene

Hi All,

Thanks!
Lisa G.

LisaGreene

Hi All,

Thanks!
Lisa G.

LisaGreene

Hi All,
<br />I've been invited to write an article for a parenting magazine about CF with a focus on how we keep our hope alive. I thought it would be fun to have our collective ideas rather than just mine. We can learn so much more from each other.
<br />
<br />A couple of things that help me when I feel sort of blue about our kids having CF are: helping others either by writing or volunteering to do something and reading inspiring stories of other people who have overcome the odds.
<br />
<br />So, how do you keep your hope alive?
<br />
<br />Thanks!
<br />Lisa G.
<br />mom of 2 kids with CF and author

M

Mommafirst

Good question, Lisa. Some days I find it hard. . . ironically my daughter is doing terrifically. Other days I am motivated by looking at the great changes that have come in the last thirty years, and find hope in the likelihood that by the time my daughter reaches adulthood those changes will continue to grow.

I find hope in helping others, especially those that are dealing with brand new diagnoses. I remember how scared my husband and I were, how dumbfounded and overwhelmed, when we first heard the words cystic fibrosis for the first time nearly 2 and a half years ago when my daughter was born. Not only were we facing a disease that was historically considered a death sentence, but reading about it and learning on the forums was like learning a completely new language -- being a foreigner in a land you never even realized existed. So for me, I find my hope in helping other new parents to acculturate to this new and scary place. In the consoling words I offer them, I find my own consolence.

I find hope in knowledge as well. Even if that knowledge needs to include the not-so-happy components of CF that are yet to come for our family. I've spent a lot of time reading and learning in an effort to best be able to cope, and in that I find hope.

Thanks for asking!!! I hope this helps you!

M

Mommafirst

Good question, Lisa. Some days I find it hard. . . ironically my daughter is doing terrifically. Other days I am motivated by looking at the great changes that have come in the last thirty years, and find hope in the likelihood that by the time my daughter reaches adulthood those changes will continue to grow.

I find hope in helping others, especially those that are dealing with brand new diagnoses. I remember how scared my husband and I were, how dumbfounded and overwhelmed, when we first heard the words cystic fibrosis for the first time nearly 2 and a half years ago when my daughter was born. Not only were we facing a disease that was historically considered a death sentence, but reading about it and learning on the forums was like learning a completely new language -- being a foreigner in a land you never even realized existed. So for me, I find my hope in helping other new parents to acculturate to this new and scary place. In the consoling words I offer them, I find my own consolence.

I find hope in knowledge as well. Even if that knowledge needs to include the not-so-happy components of CF that are yet to come for our family. I've spent a lot of time reading and learning in an effort to best be able to cope, and in that I find hope.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />I find hope in helping others, especially those that are dealing with brand new diagnoses. I remember how scared my husband and I were, how dumbfounded and overwhelmed, when we first heard the words cystic fibrosis for the first time nearly 2 and a half years ago when my daughter was born. Not only were we facing a disease that was historically considered a death sentence, but reading about it and learning on the forums was like learning a completely new language -- being a foreigner in a land you never even realized existed. So for me, I find my hope in helping other new parents to acculturate to this new and scary place. In the consoling words I offer them, I find my own consolence.
<br />
<br />I find hope in knowledge as well. Even if that knowledge needs to include the not-so-happy components of CF that are yet to come for our family. I've spent a lot of time reading and learning in an effort to best be able to cope, and in that I find hope.
<br />
<br />Thanks for asking!!! I hope this helps you!