How do you like your Vest?

Did you have a Hill-Rom Vest before? If so, how did you get Blue Cross to approve you for a different vest system? We have the Hill Rom Vest and the RT only wants the Vest. From what you say the Afflo Vest is probably a lot smaller than a machine plus the hoses plus the vest. From what I understood we would not be allowed another system. We had a hard time getting insurance to approve it in the first place about 17 years ago.

shay

How does the Incourage compare with the SmartVest as far as noise level goes? My daughter has a SmartVest now and was thinking of upgrading to the smaller quieter new SmartVest, but wanted to know more about the Incourage.
Thanks!

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
We just got the new Smartvest upgrade too and it really is lighter (I want to say 5 or 7 pounds lighter) and much quieter (and smaller too).

Tnjackson2

Thanks all for posting on this topic. We should be getting our first vest hopefully tomorrow or sometime this week. We went w/ the InCourage vest, I only had the options of the SmartVest or that one. I didn't really know the difference, and I had to make a somewhat quickish decision while at clinic so the RP recommended the InCourage overall. We'll have a trainer come by the house tomorrow to do a tutorial. We have Cigna insurance and once CareCentrix got the information, and the Rx, looked at our insurance plan rates, it got approved. I'm excited because I hope it will really cut down on all the coughing/wheezing spells he's had this winter season (and speed up the treatment times b/c at four times a day it can get consuming as y'all know. :) I know our trainer will be coming by to help, but do any of you have any advice/tips for using the vest on a 5 1/2 month old? We are supposed to do it for 30 minutes, stopping every 10 min to lift him up/down, flap arms just to move crud around I guess (?) Thanks everyone!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS didn't get his vest until he was a toddler, but we started off slowly and over time gradually increased the pressure, speed and time we did treatments. While we were used to doing CPT for 30 minutes, we started off vesting for 10 minutes, so he got used to it. And I still did morning CPT for awhile because he didn't fall asleep or sleep thru vesting at first.