How do you like your Vest?

daver14

When you use your vest, do you like to do a high intensity for shorter period of time, or a low, less intense frequency worn for a bit longer? What are your preferences and habits?

truebrit

Our 14-year-old daughter hates the vest. We exchanged the part that looks more like a life jacket with the wraparound vest that resembles the one she used in the hospital, since it's less intrusive and she said the vest hurt her shoulders. Still, she continues to fight using it and lied about it. We now have to check on her to make sure she actually is using the device.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS vests for 30 minutes, 3 times a day. We've increased the number of treatments when he's been sick or done mini-cpt sessions on him. We gradually increase the intensity from I think 10 hz up to 20 hz with maximum pressure of 10. If he's sleepy or sleeping, I have decreased the hz. The vest has offered him more independence -- he plays computer games, watches tv, videos and has even played Xbox or Wii games during his treatments. The deal is he can do anything he wants during vesting, that's HIS time. Prior to the vest we did manual cpt (chest physiotherapy) 3 times a day for half an hour. Last Christmas his vest broke and until the new one was shipped, we went back to cpt.

D

dschertz

I use the inCourage vest and use the preset program, it goes up and down. 30 minutes twice a day. As I type, I'm round two for the day. Always am in front of the computer while doing therapy(ies).

CFkitty

I do 60-minute sessions, changing frequency every 15 minutes. On a typical day, I do about 3 hours, but during an exacerbation I do 5-6 hours day, whether I am in inpatient or at home.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
FYI...I shared this on the CF facebook page and there is also some advice and a discussion taking place there.
See: https://www.facebook.com/knowcf/posts/10152964474168777

Wow, realize the vest isn't readily available in other countries; however, the number of comments regarding exercise instead of vesting... DS vests and prior to getting his vest we did CPT, but we have always encourage exercise as well. We enroll ds in swimming, gymnastics and other sports activities.

ecsnut

We have the smartvest...and love it. The one hose is much better...and the vest is comfortable. We just got upgraded to the new smaller device which has all the bells and whistles. Doing 2 treatments X 30 min a day with ramp feature. Could not be happier.

Tipper

Wow, realize the vest isn't readily available in other countries;.

Ireland being one of those countries. I am interested in getting a Vest for my 4 year old son . Any suggestions for what Vest I should be looking at? or websites who sell these? I presume it is a lot cheaper to purchase in the US than Ireland,I can have it delivered to an address in the US. I do realize these are very expensive so trying to see what my best options are to get one here in Ireland.

J

juls

I highly recommend the Incourage system by Respirtech! We've used all of the vests discussed here. The Incourage is by far the best made, with superior technology, and is the most comfortable. The afflovest is likely the worst system on the market due to the very limited air volume displacement as sensed at the mouth -- unfortunately the afflovest is the most marketed right now. Air volume displacement is very important in airway clearance. I have two children that are now using the Respirtech Incourage system twice a day -- excellent system. http://www.respirtech.com

nmw0615

I have to agree with Juls. I have the InCourage vest and feel like it's really made a difference. It can have multiple settings saved, and switching up my routine helps, I think.

Plus, you have to "lock" the air tubes on to the best, and my dad pointed out that the air pressure, flow, and strength must be pretty good if you have to "lock and load" before turning it on.

ecsnut

And I will say the SmartVest..the new one is called the sql....smaller..quieter...lighter.... is my choice for my daughter. It is s oooo quiet.... Great customer service..better mobility..lifetime warranty on all products...I have had two upgrades for her....seamless ...no issues. It is the only device our cf center recommends. .and bottomline...she uses it......good luck.

JustaCFmom

Our 14-year-old daughter hates the vest. We exchanged the part that looks more like a life jacket with the wraparound vest that resembles the one she used in the hospital, since it's less intrusive and she said the vest hurt her shoulders. Still, she continues to fight using it and lied about it. We now have to check on her to make sure she actually is using the device.

We don't use a vest here, in Israel. We use the accapella & CPT. If she is 14, and lying about it, I think you should all discuss it with the clinic and find an alternative. I am in the middle of watching this excellent presentation
http://webcast.jhu.edu/Mediasite/Play/2d6bc20237e041f5a23276b8c7aa1f921d

There are times we have "taken a vacation" just to "recharge". I think running is almost as good (if not better) as the vest because there is the impact from the running, and everything gets loosened up.

I really encourage you to talk with your team, and maybe just try another track. This could be a case of winning the battle but losing the war. Honestly, I don't know if I could tolerate being shaken like crazy. 14 is not an easy age - good luck!

Tipper

We finally got a vest for my boy this week, I had contacted several companies in the states but ended up sourcing one in Ireland (a bit more expensive -but a lot less hassle). Hill-Rom seem to be the only suppliers in Ireland so went with the Hill Rom Vest Unit model 105
All going well so far and my little fella is getting on great (with no complaints!)
Thanks for the advise above.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We finally got a vest for my boy this week, I had contacted several companies in the states but ended up sourcing one in Ireland (a bit more expensive -but a lot less hassle). Hill-Rom seem to be the only suppliers in Ireland so went with the Hill Rom Vest Unit model 105
All going well so far and my little fella is getting on great (with no complaints!)
Thanks for the advise above.

Great to hear! Ours had difficulty at first with higher speeds, but years later he doesn't ever complain. Sometimes he even falls asleep wearing it. His vest time is his time to play video or computer games, watch tv or video, read... whatever he wants to do during that time. And am sooo glad the vests are washable as he sometimes snacks while vesting. :)

Beccamom

My 15 year old loves her vest but goes through sizes every couple months as her chest is growing. I began to take the vest to Pulmonary appointments to help get the straps adjusted, but she is now a D cup and needs adjusting again. My daughter finds no bra more comfortable. We also had a sales rep from hill Rom help adjust the straps one time which was very helpful. I also find with my vest wearing a soft short sleeve t shirt is more comfortable because otherwise the vest makes me itch. If she would like to talk with my daughter I am sure she would not mind. My daughter has taken her vest to overnight camp and a 3 night class trip.

G

GoryLori

I just receive the new AFFLO VEST and I am liking it...not LOVING it.....but liking it. Blue Cross received the bill for $12, 995 and bartered it down to just under $9,000 while my 20% came to $2,164. No more hoses to connect....just walk, Wii, Xbox or drive the car or golf cart, knowing you are "AFFLO"-ing at the same time. Getting a treatment done without a fight because I can rake the leaves and get it in. I do one hour four time every day because that works nicely for me. I turn it all the way up to beat the snot right outta me! It's not a magical device that does any better than the Hill-Rom Vest, just another way of doing the same thing but with more independence NT to be tied to a wall socket for electrical power. My family even saw it hanging on a chair back and asked why I had a life jacket in my room...they did NOT know it was the new AFFLO Vest. I let them ALL try it on and they got to feel what it might feel like to be beaten up for CF. I have a Large size and I'm liking it......