How long before eating should one take enzymes?

B

BikerEd

Just a side note. The trick was to put our enzymes in either ketup or applesauce when we were younger. And so my Dad wouldn't steal our French fries we would smother them in ketup; even after we took pills like "Big Boys". I was thirteen when I saw my dad put ketup on his fries and I was like "Yo! When did you start eating ketup?!" and told me that was the secret to getting me and my brothers to take our "pills". I was like hearing about Santa Claus all over again (NNOOOooooo!) ha-ha

B

BikerEd

Just a side note. The trick was to put our enzymes in either ketup or applesauce when we were younger. And so my Dad wouldn't steal our French fries we would smother them in ketup; even after we took pills like "Big Boys". I was thirteen when I saw my dad put ketup on his fries and I was like "Yo! When did you start eating ketup?!" and told me that was the secret to getting me and my brothers to take our "pills". I was like hearing about Santa Claus all over again (NNOOOooooo!) ha-ha

R

rarab43

My son who is 26 has always taken his right before he eats with no problems. Can the teacher give them at the end of recess since lunch is right after?

R

rarab43

My son who is 26 has always taken his right before he eats with no problems. Can the teacher give them at the end of recess since lunch is right after?

R

rarab43

Gnome

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>rarab43</b></i>

My son who is 26 has always taken his right before he eats with no problems. Can the teacher give them at the end of recess since lunch is right after?</end quote>

No and I don't blame her for not wanting to wait around for a child to emerge to just give some enzymes to. The lunch person is making sure my son takes his enzymes.

Gnome

My son who is 26 has always taken his right before he eats with no problems. Can the teacher give them at the end of recess since lunch is right after?</end quote>

No and I don't blame her for not wanting to wait around for a child to emerge to just give some enzymes to. The lunch person is making sure my son takes his enzymes.

Gnome

j19h89

When I was younger, my pediatrician told me to take my enzymes at the beginning of the meal. Recently, my doctor told me I should try taking them in the middle of the meal. I started taking them in the middle but didn't notice any real change. I think the real key is just to make sure you take them!!

The real reason I'm posting on this forum though is because I'm at college studying to be a teacher. I know what it's like going through school as a student with CF, but I don't know much about what a parent's concerns are. If I were any of your children's teacher, what are some things you would want to make me aware of. I don't want to type cast every child with CF as myself.

j19h89

When I was younger, my pediatrician told me to take my enzymes at the beginning of the meal. Recently, my doctor told me I should try taking them in the middle of the meal. I started taking them in the middle but didn't notice any real change. I think the real key is just to make sure you take them!!

The real reason I'm posting on this forum though is because I'm at college studying to be a teacher. I know what it's like going through school as a student with CF, but I don't know much about what a parent's concerns are. If I were any of your children's teacher, what are some things you would want to make me aware of. I don't want to type cast every child with CF as myself.

j19h89

rhonda21

my kids had different pancreatic problems, so one had to take right away, or up to one hour after if he forgot, and the other one hardly has to take any and has no problems except that she doesnt gain much. I would suggest that you try to do it as soon as you eat, but you cannot stress about forgetting or not having any. You cant starve yourself!!

rhonda21

my kids had different pancreatic problems, so one had to take right away, or up to one hour after if he forgot, and the other one hardly has to take any and has no problems except that she doesnt gain much. I would suggest that you try to do it as soon as you eat, but you cannot stress about forgetting or not having any. You cant starve yourself!!

rhonda21

Jet

As you found out from the comments. No one approach works all the time. The most important thing is to make sure he takes them and the older he gets to make it his responsibility. As he ages and meals become less regimented he'll have to learn to adapt. If he is eating on the fly or sitting down for a lengthy meal at a restaurant he might have to adjust. When he gets to my age adjusting just
becomes old hat.

Jet

As you found out from the comments. No one approach works all the time. The most important thing is to make sure he takes them and the older he gets to make it his responsibility. As he ages and meals become less regimented he'll have to learn to adapt. If he is eating on the fly or sitting down for a lengthy meal at a restaurant he might have to adjust. When he gets to my age adjusting just
becomes old hat.

Jet

becomes old hat.

J

JenniferRose65

I used to take them after I ate when I was in school. Because of cafeteria lines and those awkward middle school lunch tables, that was the best way to do it until I finally was able to have them on my person and take them on my own (that wasn't until senior high) I DON'T AT ALL SUGGEST TAKING THEM AFTER. But it did work for me when it needed to.
Aside from then, I've always taken my enzymes RIGHT before the first bite. In since last summer I've had a difficult time with my stomach and I started taking them well before (about 10 or so minutes) I ate if I was having heavy meals. For example, when I go to eat at restaurants I'll take them as soon as I sit down instead of when the food arrives. It seemed to give them a jump start in my stomach and it did help with the stomach troubles.

Long post short- What Jet said. Enzymes work differently for everyone and no CF stomach is the same. Throughout his life he'll learn what works best for him and may sometime end up varying his enzyme schedule like I have. It really just depends what works for him.

J

JenniferRose65

I used to take them after I ate when I was in school. Because of cafeteria lines and those awkward middle school lunch tables, that was the best way to do it until I finally was able to have them on my person and take them on my own (that wasn't until senior high) I DON'T AT ALL SUGGEST TAKING THEM AFTER. But it did work for me when it needed to.
Aside from then, I've always taken my enzymes RIGHT before the first bite. In since last summer I've had a difficult time with my stomach and I started taking them well before (about 10 or so minutes) I ate if I was having heavy meals. For example, when I go to eat at restaurants I'll take them as soon as I sit down instead of when the food arrives. It seemed to give them a jump start in my stomach and it did help with the stomach troubles.

Long post short- What Jet said. Enzymes work differently for everyone and no CF stomach is the same. Throughout his life he'll learn what works best for him and may sometime end up varying his enzyme schedule like I have. It really just depends what works for him.

J

JenniferRose65