How long would an e-cig stay in my body for?

Enzo2311

So I'm going to a friends house and he always smokes his e-cig, if I were to smoke it a few times, how long would the nicotine stay in my system and lungs for? I'm going to the CF clinic in about 2 weeks, next week I have an app. With my primary care doctor so he can refer me to my CF clinic I always go to.

Now I know its not good, but it's way better than smoking an actual cig and its also something I don't do a lot. Probably once every month.

So I have two different situations. If I decide to smoke the e cig over the course of 3 days, how long will it stay in my system for?

If I decide not to smoke it, but I'm around it constantly for 3 days, how long will that stay in my system for?

When I say system, I mean blood, lungs, mucous, etc.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
I don't think there are any studies to answer this yet, since e-cigs are so new. But they contain nicotine. Nicotine will stay in your body for a day or two max after you stop smoking or chewing the gum. However, it does leave behind a metabolite that can be detected in the blood or urine for up to 10 days. I suspect it would be similar with e-cigs but I don't know for certain. And I don't know if it would be in sputum.
Consider just letting your doc know you have been trying ecigs so he can help you figure out the effects it will have if any on your unique body and health situation. Docs are supposed to be helpful, not judgmental and they are suppose to keep your information confidential. Precisely so you can talk to them about anything, without fear of recourse. It could relieve a lot of your stress over the ecigs! If your doc is too judgmental, consider another doc! And if you're worried he will tell your parents, just ask him if he is under any obligation to discuss something you want held confidential with your parents. If he says no, then you can feel free to talk to him. If he says yes, just smile and tell him that's all you wanted to know!

Enzo2311

I don't think there are any studies to answer this yet, since e-cigs are so new. But they contain nicotine. Nicotine will stay in your body for a day or two max after you stop smoking or chewing the gum. However, it does leave behind a metabolite that can be detected in the blood or urine for up to 10 days. I suspect it would be similar with e-cigs but I don't know for certain. And I don't know if it would be in sputum.
Consider just letting your doc know you have been trying ecigs so he can help you figure out the effects it will have if any on your unique body and health situation. Docs are supposed to be helpful, not judgmental and they are suppose to keep your information confidential. Precisely so you can talk to them about anything, without fear of recourse. It could relieve a lot of your stress over the ecigs! If your doc is too judgmental, consider another doc! And if you're worried he will tell your parents, just ask him if he is under any obligation to discuss something you want held confidential with your parents. If he says no, then you can feel free to talk to him. If he says yes, just smile and tell him that's all you wanted to know!

i decided not to do it.
but I have been around it a lot, I mean a ton over the past 4 days.

So what do I do about that? How can I clear the smoke I've been breathing out of my lungs?

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Congratulations! You've made a mature and wise decision! Its not easy to resist friends especially at first. But you should feel very proud.
I don't know of any way to get nicotine out of your system early. But I don't think the secondhand vapor is likely to be detected during any testing. If it is, let your doc know its not you. Its your friend, the vapor chimney! And ask if the vapor is likely to be as harmful as secondhand smoke can be. You can't control others. You can only make decisions about when to be around friends who are doing things that are harmful to you. If it's bad for you to be around, you can still be his friend ya know. You just may choose not to be around him when he's smoking. Depends on its effects on you!
Is there anyway you can talk to your parent about this? They know so much more about you and your situation.

Enzo2311

Congratulations! You've made a mature and wise decision! Its not easy to resist friends especially at first. But you should feel very proud.
I don't know of any way to get nicotine out of your system early. But I don't think the secondhand vapor is likely to be detected during any testing. If it is, let your doc know its not you. Its your friend, the vapor chimney! And ask if the vapor is likely to be as harmful as secondhand smoke can be. You can't control others. You can only make decisions about when to be around friends who are doing things that are harmful to you. If it's bad for you to be around, you can still be his friend ya know. You just may choose not to be around him when he's smoking. Depends on its effects on you!
Is there anyway you can talk to your parent about this? They know so much more about you and your situation.

well I was also around normal smoke cause his dad smokes normal cigs.