How many calories with tube feeding?

markinohio

I've had a feeding tube for almost a year, but haven't had much luck in gaining weight. For anyone who has had success gaining weight- how many calories per day did you use? how did you take your enzymes with the tube feed? And, if diabetic, how did you handle the insulin with the tube feeding?
Thanks for any help.
Mark

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
I do tube feeds about 5 days a week. I can't say it's helped me gained a significant amount. It's only helped me gain a few pounds and MAINTAIN it. Unfortunately, it's been a long struggle with it ever since I got it placed when I was 11. I've switched formula's about 3 or 4 times hoping that was the issue. One formula would work for a little bit and then it would be back to the nausea and stomach pains and constipation. I've switched enzymes as well and that hasn't seemed to help either. My current formula is Peptamen 1.5 I use 3 cans a night. 375 calories in each can. I'm pretty petite so thankfully I don't need a ridiculously huge amount of calories. My current enzymes are Ultresa 17,500 capsules. I take 4 before feeds and 4 after feeds. ( I used to use VIOKASE before they stopped making it) I have an insulin pump and I do a square wave bolus over the number of hours I'm doing the feeds. It's been working well for me at least. Before I had the pump I did shots with two kinds of insulin. One insulin was long acting and the other was short acting. My doctor actually said it was one of her most difficult insulin routines she's had! I'm so happy I switched to the pump. I love it! Sorry I can't be much help. I hope you have some luck with gaining weight! Much love,