How many lines do they put in and when are they taken out?

T

theDUDE

i was just wondering how many lines they put in, and where? and how long do you keep they in post op? and while i am at it, how are most anti-rej meds taken? i wish i thought to ask my transplant doc these questions. lol

T

theDUDE

i was just wondering how many lines they put in, and where? and how long do you keep they in post op? and while i am at it, how are most anti-rej meds taken? i wish i thought to ask my transplant doc these questions. lol

T

theDUDE

T

theDUDE

T

theDUDE

coltsfan715

no worries about not asking the docs. I didn't ask this question either and quite honestly I did not want to know lol.

For me I had an arterial line in my wrist (to check blood gases on occasion), a catheter in my neck, an IV in my forearm, my port accessed, 4 chest tubes, a foley catheter to urinate and I want to say another IV type line in the opposite arm of the forearm IV and an epiduryl in my upper back.

length of time they were in:
The catheter thing in my neck was removed within 36 hours - it was out before they moved me from ICU - but I know others that have theirs longer depends on how you progress.

Arterial line was in a few days - maybe 2-3 but can't remember for sure.

IVs in both arms were removed after a few days - maybe 3 or so.

4 chest tubes were removed after 5-6 days.

Epiduryl removed shortly after the chest tubes (5-6 days)

Foley catheter removed shortly after epiduryl (5-6 days).

My port was accessed until about a week after I was discharged from the hospital post transplant - so about 3 weeks total post transplant.

For most I think the extra IVs are to administer the meds initially. As they feel you are able to tolerate swallowing the meds you will be given the chance too. I was wanting to and able to swallow the meds with a day or two after surgery, so they were able to remove the IV lines pretty quick. Initially you are given all your meds IV - even insulin if needed because the vent messes with your ability to swallow.

I will say I can not remember exact days on when some things were removed, but I know for sure when the neck line was removed and I also know for sure that EVERYTHING but my port was gone by my 6th day cause I remember walking around not attached to anything from that day on.

The anti rejection meds are in pill form that you will take long term. Along with the other meds too. Some are rather large but talk to them about which ones you can break in half and which ones you can not. Like Cellcept (one of my anti rejection meds) is a decent sized pill but I am not able to break it in half. Whereas I also take bactrim (MWF - like we have to with zithro pre transplant) and that one I had a hard time with for whatever reason and I was able to break it in half. They are both about the same size pill.

Initially they will give you what you need to take and as the days pass they will start to quiz you kind of by asking which pill is which. I know at my center we had to be able to name each pill by looking at it not by looking and reading the bottle. They want you to know what the pills look like in the event there is a pharmacy mix up you will know that you are taking the right thing.

Take Care and Good Luck,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

no worries about not asking the docs. I didn't ask this question either and quite honestly I did not want to know lol.

For me I had an arterial line in my wrist (to check blood gases on occasion), a catheter in my neck, an IV in my forearm, my port accessed, 4 chest tubes, a foley catheter to urinate and I want to say another IV type line in the opposite arm of the forearm IV and an epiduryl in my upper back.

The catheter thing in my neck was removed within 36 hours - it was out before they moved me from ICU - but I know others that have theirs longer depends on how you progress.

My port was accessed until about a week after I was discharged from the hospital post transplant - so about 3 weeks total post transplant.

For most I think the extra IVs are to administer the meds initially. As they feel you are able to tolerate swallowing the meds you will be given the chance too. I was wanting to and able to swallow the meds with a day or two after surgery, so they were able to remove the IV lines pretty quick. Initially you are given all your meds IV - even insulin if needed because the vent messes with your ability to swallow.

I will say I can not remember exact days on when some things were removed, but I know for sure when the neck line was removed and I also know for sure that EVERYTHING but my port was gone by my 6th day cause I remember walking around not attached to anything from that day on.

The anti rejection meds are in pill form that you will take long term. Along with the other meds too. Some are rather large but talk to them about which ones you can break in half and which ones you can not. Like Cellcept (one of my anti rejection meds) is a decent sized pill but I am not able to break it in half. Whereas I also take bactrim (MWF - like we have to with zithro pre transplant) and that one I had a hard time with for whatever reason and I was able to break it in half. They are both about the same size pill.

Initially they will give you what you need to take and as the days pass they will start to quiz you kind of by asking which pill is which. I know at my center we had to be able to name each pill by looking at it not by looking and reading the bottle. They want you to know what the pills look like in the event there is a pharmacy mix up you will know that you are taking the right thing.

Take Care and Good Luck,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care and Good Luck,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care and Good Luck,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care and Good Luck,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

I also just wanted to add that the only thing that I had accessed or done before being knocked out for surgery was my port. Everything else was put in while I was sedated during the procedure. Except my epiduryl. I needed a blood transfusion because my plasma was low, so they were unable to give me the epiduryl during the surgery. That wasn't bad to go through though. The rest of the stuff is uncomfortable but is more painful to get in than jus thaving it in my opinion - so you are unconcious for the worst part.

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

I also just wanted to add that the only thing that I had accessed or done before being knocked out for surgery was my port. Everything else was put in while I was sedated during the procedure. Except my epiduryl. I needed a blood transfusion because my plasma was low, so they were unable to give me the epiduryl during the surgery. That wasn't bad to go through though. The rest of the stuff is uncomfortable but is more painful to get in than jus thaving it in my opinion - so you are unconcious for the worst part.

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care,
Lindsey

CountryGirl

I had basically the all the same tubes as colts fan. However, I didnt have my foley catheter in for very long, it was taken out the 3rd day after getting out of surgery.
They had already taken my IV in my arm out before I woke up so I dont even remember having it. I have a port and that was accessed until i left the hospital about ten days after my transplant. Like coltsfan, the only thing accessed before I went under was my port, everything else they put in while I was asleep. None of the tubes hurt when they're taken out, except the chest tubes. I had four of them sticking out of the front of my chest. The scars look like bullet wounds. Anyways, those hurt really terribly when theyre pulled out, but the pain goes away soon after and its a relief theyre gone. Then it feels good to finally have them out. The catheter in your neck feels funny, kinda like a huge worm, but it didnt hurt.

CountryGirl

I had basically the all the same tubes as colts fan. However, I didnt have my foley catheter in for very long, it was taken out the 3rd day after getting out of surgery.
They had already taken my IV in my arm out before I woke up so I dont even remember having it. I have a port and that was accessed until i left the hospital about ten days after my transplant. Like coltsfan, the only thing accessed before I went under was my port, everything else they put in while I was asleep. None of the tubes hurt when they're taken out, except the chest tubes. I had four of them sticking out of the front of my chest. The scars look like bullet wounds. Anyways, those hurt really terribly when theyre pulled out, but the pain goes away soon after and its a relief theyre gone. Then it feels good to finally have them out. The catheter in your neck feels funny, kinda like a huge worm, but it didnt hurt.

CountryGirl

CountryGirl

CountryGirl