How many lines do they put in and when are they taken out?

Marjolein

* I had <b>4 chesttubes</b> (2 for air and 2 for blood and things like that). The 2 tubes for air were taken out 2 or 3 days post transplant i think.
The other 2 took a longer time. Cause they kept leaking more then 75 ml (that is the point that they were comfortable taking them out). I think they were taken out 12 and 18 days post tx.

* <b>line in my neck</b> that was taken out a few days post tx.

* I had a <b>venflon in my left hand</b> (that was put in to sedate me before my tx). It was taken out about 5 days post tx cause it started to irritate me and my porst was accessed for that.

* I had a <b>venflon in my right </b>wrist outer side that was taken out about 6 days post tx i thinik.

* And <b>arterial line</b> in my right wrist to check my bloodgasses (a lot).

* An <b>epidural in my upper back</b> to relieve the pain, that helped a lot, i didn't have painissues at all really. That was taken out about 10 days or a bit longer post tx.

* And a <b>foley catheter</b>. Taken out right after the epidural was stopped.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://marjoleins65roses.web-log.nl/marjoleins65roses/2006/08/index.html">Here</a> you can see my weblog (it's in english) and this is in august 2006 when my sister wrote a little bit every day post tx. There are pictures there too. One on the 13th of august, showing of all the lines in my arms hehe.

Marjolein

* I had <b>4 chesttubes</b> (2 for air and 2 for blood and things like that). The 2 tubes for air were taken out 2 or 3 days post transplant i think.
The other 2 took a longer time. Cause they kept leaking more then 75 ml (that is the point that they were comfortable taking them out). I think they were taken out 12 and 18 days post tx.

* I had a <b>venflon in my left hand</b> (that was put in to sedate me before my tx). It was taken out about 5 days post tx cause it started to irritate me and my porst was accessed for that.

* I had a <b>venflon in my right </b>wrist outer side that was taken out about 6 days post tx i thinik.

* An <b>epidural in my upper back</b> to relieve the pain, that helped a lot, i didn't have painissues at all really. That was taken out about 10 days or a bit longer post tx.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://marjoleins65roses.web-log.nl/marjoleins65roses/2006/08/index.html">Here</a> you can see my weblog (it's in english) and this is in august 2006 when my sister wrote a little bit every day post tx. There are pictures there too. One on the 13th of august, showing of all the lines in my arms hehe.

Marjolein

Marjolein

Marjolein

F

fr3ak

Hmm lets see, pretty much the same as everyone else

4 chest tubes. 2 removed, 2 remained for 14 days. Extra one inserted in upper left lobe due to air leaks - worst pain ever going in as well as coming out

Arterial Line

port accessed.

Neck line

Another IV in the same arm as my port

My feet also had IV's in them - OUCH haha

Epidural - needed to be replaced 3 times in 12 hours post tx due to wrong placement...

Catheter - best things ever invented, drink all ya like and never have to leave the bed LOL

Time frames for removal will change from person to person...

F

fr3ak

4 chest tubes. 2 removed, 2 remained for 14 days. Extra one inserted in upper left lobe due to air leaks - worst pain ever going in as well as coming out

Arterial Line

port accessed.

Neck line

Epidural - needed to be replaced 3 times in 12 hours post tx due to wrong placement...

Catheter - best things ever invented, drink all ya like and never have to leave the bed LOL

F

fr3ak

Arterial Line

port accessed.

Neck line

F

fr3ak

Arterial Line

port accessed.

Neck line

F

fr3ak

Arterial Line

port accessed.

Neck line

jfarel

So, two of you said, the having the chest tubes pulled hurt terribly? Am I to assume that for Lindsey and Marjolein it wasn't as bad?

jfarel

So, two of you said, the having the chest tubes pulled hurt terribly? Am I to assume that for Lindsey and Marjolein it wasn't as bad?

jfarel

jfarel

jfarel

shamrock

I had all as above except that my port was removed with my old lungs.

Re: the pain of chest drains: This was the thing I <b>DREADED</b> the most; I had heard about it, read about it and was terrified.

However (and keep in mind I'm a wuss) it honestly wasn't that bad!! I let my team know of my fears and they told me just to take some pain killers (I think I was on a morphine pump at the time) about 20mins before.

It takes like a second. You just roll with it, take a deep breath and it's gone. With most things the thought is so much worse then the actual thing. It wasn't that bad for me at all!

shamrock

Re: the pain of chest drains: This was the thing I <b>DREADED</b> the most; I had heard about it, read about it and was terrified.

However (and keep in mind I'm a wuss) it honestly wasn't that bad!! I let my team know of my fears and they told me just to take some pain killers (I think I was on a morphine pump at the time) about 20mins before.

It takes like a second. You just roll with it, take a deep breath and it's gone. With most things the thought is so much worse then the actual thing. It wasn't that bad for me at all!

shamrock

shamrock

shamrock