How many of you are stay-at-home moms?

F

FalseDisposition

And is that the recommended way to go? My son has cf and he's 2. Currently I'm a SAHM, but I had been thinking about going to college and getting a degree...But then when he's in the hospital I'll have to worry about my job and might have to leave during the daytime. But I could be thinking just with the mindset that I have a young son.... What do you think?

Also, at what age did you first have to get your child in the hospital for repeated visits? He was in and out the first four months of his life but he's been really healthy since...I just want to know what to expect as right now I really think I have unrealistic expectations.

MOM247

Hi there,

I'm a stay at home Mom, and had planned to be long before we knew are child had CF. CF wasn't the reason I chose to stay home.

I've met many awesome CF families with both working parents. I give those parents allot of respect. I think it's completely up to you and what's best for your family.

My sons almost #6 and has only had one week in the hospital, thus far. However, w/ CF there is no clear path on how things will go. It can drive us out of our minds with worry, but we have to strive not let it dictate everything. You have dreams & your child will have dreams. The balance is fighting and living those dreams.

I wish you all the best!

sarah
mom to Johnny 5 w/cf & Bailey 3 no/cf

ForeverDance

I'm not a SAHM. Both my husband and I work but that is only because my wonderful mother quit her job to take care of DD. If she hadn't offered to do it, one of us would probably have quit our job. But that is a personal choice. The only thing our CF clinic suggested was that if we put DD in daycare to try to go with a private one as there would be less kids and less chance of germs being passed around. Again, it is all a personal choice. You need to do what works for you and your family.

JennyCoulon

I am not a stay at home mom. I have a 13 year old and a 7 year old both with CF and my husband and I both work full-time. My husband is self employed so he is flexible but *knock on wood* neither of my boys have been admitted for a clean out. My youngest got pseudomonas about 3 years ago and he did have to go in for 2 days to get the picc line and also get the dose for IV antibotics set. They both have had g-button's placed but other than that we haven't been admitted. They are pretty healthy which we are very lucky for. The main reason I do have a full time job is because I am the one that carries the health, dental and life insurance for not only them but for my husband and our non-CF daughter. This day and age I think it is hard if both parents don't work but I am glad others are able to.

AnnieT

I'm a stay at home mom! My son is in kindergarten. I completely understand about wanting to go to college and getting a degree, but worry about your little one in the hospital. I can relate!

SaraNoH

I'm not a mom, but I can add a little tidbit about my own mother and father. Both of them have always worked full time, even after I was born and diagnosed. My family was very fortunate that I was always very healthy, that once I needed to be hospitalized I was a highschooler and growing in my independence, so it wasn't so much of a strain on them.

That being said, here are my thoughts:
1. Get your degree now while your son is younger and at his theoretical healthiest (since we generally decline as we get older). Hopefully that means less hospital stays and whatnot. Trying to keep him at his healthiest will of course delay the bad stuff. But, he's also young and is totally dependant on his parents....
2. Wait until he is older/more independent to get your degree. But.... he could be at a point where he is ill...

What are you thinking of studying, if you don't mind my asking? I've always wondered if the fact of both of my parents being healthcare professionals lent to their comfort in their continued working and letting me run around like a regular kid.