How many PICCs before Port?

live2breath

I had a little bit of trouble getting PICCS in the childrens hospital but when I transitioned I have not had a single problem

live2breath

I had a little bit of trouble getting PICCS in the childrens hospital but when I transitioned I have not had a single problem

T

TleighsHusband

Our breaking point was not how many PICCs in the past but how often Tiffany needed them in the present. When she started needing them twice a year we opted for the port and were very thankful for making the transition.

T

TleighsHusband

Our breaking point was not how many PICCs in the past but how often Tiffany needed them in the present. When she started needing them twice a year we opted for the port and were very thankful for making the transition.

M

MCGrad2006

I had about 20-25 PICCS (more in my left arm, because my right didn't like PICCs) before my port. I started to need IV's more often too. I had mentioned to my doctor that I was thinking about a port a while back and he shook it off...until I started needing IV's more than once a year. He didn't want me to be held back because I had a port that I only used once a year or less. Then last year I had a blood clot in a PICC, as well as a PICC that stopped working midway through the two week course of abx. That was my third PICC in 9 months! So when I mentioned it at that time, my doctor was all for it. He didn't want to see me struggle anymore with placements (those were also getting extremely difficult) and other issues during treatments.

M

MCGrad2006

I had about 20-25 PICCS (more in my left arm, because my right didn't like PICCs) before my port. I started to need IV's more often too. I had mentioned to my doctor that I was thinking about a port a while back and he shook it off...until I started needing IV's more than once a year. He didn't want me to be held back because I had a port that I only used once a year or less. Then last year I had a blood clot in a PICC, as well as a PICC that stopped working midway through the two week course of abx. That was my third PICC in 9 months! So when I mentioned it at that time, my doctor was all for it. He didn't want to see me struggle anymore with placements (those were also getting extremely difficult) and other issues during treatments.

SIcklyhatED

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Havoc</b></i> Some people do have tricky veins, but the majority of the time when you hear "your veins roll, wiggle, hide" etc., it just means they have bad technique. Yes, veins do sometimes move, but that's the advantage of having 2 hands, as you can use your non dominate hand to stabilize the vein. Sometimes veins are hard to see, but that's why they teach anatomy, so you know where they should be. I've started thousands of IV's, once on an infant who was only a few days old. I have a 96% success rate on the first stick (they track that kinda stuff these days). Don't let them make excuses, ask for someone who has a really good track record.</end quote>

no no, trust me, my veins suck! before I get bloodwork done I hydrate hydrate hydrate hydrate at least 2 days in advance. I was in the hospial a few years ago for a bowel obstruction--32 pokes in 5 days because no one could get it. Even a pediatric anethstesiologist (I guess they're supossed to be the Supermans of IVs) <em>using </em>numbing stuff as he went couldn't get it D:
I think I can probably get another 2 PICCs out of my left arm, then maybe switch to m right. My rights the better of the two. A port ust freaks me out because you can see them under the skin..... eeeehhh

SIcklyhatED

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Havoc</b></i> Some people do have tricky veins, but the majority of the time when you hear "your veins roll, wiggle, hide" etc., it just means they have bad technique. Yes, veins do sometimes move, but that's the advantage of having 2 hands, as you can use your non dominate hand to stabilize the vein. Sometimes veins are hard to see, but that's why they teach anatomy, so you know where they should be. I've started thousands of IV's, once on an infant who was only a few days old. I have a 96% success rate on the first stick (they track that kinda stuff these days). Don't let them make excuses, ask for someone who has a really good track record.</end quote>

no no, trust me, my veins suck! before I get bloodwork done I hydrate hydrate hydrate hydrate at least 2 days in advance. I was in the hospial a few years ago for a bowel obstruction--32 pokes in 5 days because no one could get it. Even a pediatric anethstesiologist (I guess they're supossed to be the Supermans of IVs) <em>using </em>numbing stuff as he went couldn't get it D:
I think I can probably get another 2 PICCs out of my left arm, then maybe switch to m right. My rights the better of the two. A port ust freaks me out because you can see them under the skin..... eeeehhh

live2breath

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>SIcklyhatED</b></i> <div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Havoc</b></i> Some people do have tricky veins, but the majority of the time when you hear "your veins roll, wiggle, hide" etc., it just means they have bad technique. Yes, veins do sometimes move, but that's the advantage of having 2 hands, as you can use your non dominate hand to stabilize the vein. Sometimes veins are hard to see, but that's why they teach anatomy, so you know where they should be. I've started thousands of IV's, once on an infant who was only a few days old. I have a 96% success rate on the first stick (they track that kinda stuff these days). Don't let them make excuses, ask for someone who has a really good track record.</end quote> no no, trust me, my veins suck! before I get bloodwork done I hydrate hydrate hydrate hydrate at least 2 days in advance. I was in the hospial a few years ago for a bowel obstruction--32 pokes in 5 days because no one could get it. Even a pediatric anethstesiologist (I guess they're supossed to be the Supermans of IVs) <i>using </i>numbing stuff as he went couldn't get it D: I think I can probably get another 2 PICCs out of my left arm, then maybe switch to m right. My rights the better of the two. A port ust freaks me out because you can see them under the skin..... eeeehhh</end quote>
I used to be a heard stick for normal things but when I got older I started working out and my vains got a whole lot better might wanna give it a try

live2breath

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>SIcklyhatED</b></i> <div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Havoc</b></i> Some people do have tricky veins, but the majority of the time when you hear "your veins roll, wiggle, hide" etc., it just means they have bad technique. Yes, veins do sometimes move, but that's the advantage of having 2 hands, as you can use your non dominate hand to stabilize the vein. Sometimes veins are hard to see, but that's why they teach anatomy, so you know where they should be. I've started thousands of IV's, once on an infant who was only a few days old. I have a 96% success rate on the first stick (they track that kinda stuff these days). Don't let them make excuses, ask for someone who has a really good track record.</end quote> no no, trust me, my veins suck! before I get bloodwork done I hydrate hydrate hydrate hydrate at least 2 days in advance. I was in the hospial a few years ago for a bowel obstruction--32 pokes in 5 days because no one could get it. Even a pediatric anethstesiologist (I guess they're supossed to be the Supermans of IVs) <i>using </i>numbing stuff as he went couldn't get it D: I think I can probably get another 2 PICCs out of my left arm, then maybe switch to m right. My rights the better of the two. A port ust freaks me out because you can see them under the skin..... eeeehhh</end quote>
I used to be a heard stick for normal things but when I got older I started working out and my vains got a whole lot better might wanna give it a try

justdance

I don't have a port but I have what I've been told are "crap veins", which has often been closely followed by a pitying look and "probably cos you've been accessed so much"...cue my exasperated response...BUT I HAVEN'T! Relatively speaking i've had quite little access. Didn't get an iv until age 17 and you know what, they tried a PICC and found it really difficult. Given that was my first i'd say its just small veins I have. It bugs me no end to have people say that.
Now i'm 27 and I have really slim veins, like I've held my arm next to my 4 year old niece's and marvelled at our similar widths! I think they should use paediatric kits but they usually don't listen to me. They're happier with their own opinion that they've already formed.

justdance

I don't have a port but I have what I've been told are "crap veins", which has often been closely followed by a pitying look and "probably cos you've been accessed so much"...cue my exasperated response...BUT I HAVEN'T! Relatively speaking i've had quite little access. Didn't get an iv until age 17 and you know what, they tried a PICC and found it really difficult. Given that was my first i'd say its just small veins I have. It bugs me no end to have people say that.
Now i'm 27 and I have really slim veins, like I've held my arm next to my 4 year old niece's and marvelled at our similar widths! I think they should use paediatric kits but they usually don't listen to me. They're happier with their own opinion that they've already formed.

rmotion

I have been in the same situation. I would dred getting a PICC line and it would actually keep me from getting admitted, adding one more complexity to the mix.
It would take hours of trying to get a line in me, the PIIC line nurse giving up sometimes. 15 years and 40 plus PICC lines later I did get a port. Not to mention if you come in a Friday many times you have to wait till Monday to get a PICC line and they will have to run a regular IV in the interim. Not to mention the nurses hate to have to stick us too.
I think we hold out not getting a PORT due to some notion that if we get a port it is one step closer to our demise. I guess being stubborn is just one more coping mechanism that we use to deal with CF.
If you are being admitted more than once a year and are hard to get a PICC line it is worth it. You do have to get it flushed once a month but well worth the hassle.
I wish I did it 15 years ago. Same goes true for a G-tube.(look up my post about G-tube advantage). Nutrition and compliance is all we have to stay well!
The new strategy needs to be for us holding on hope of these new drugs coming online in the next few years we have to do what we can to stay well. If something facilitates our compliance to therapy and such then we need to embrace it.
My hope is we are in the winter of CF and spring is around the corner. Sounds corny but rings true. I could not of said that 15 years ago when stuff if proposed to be coming out It seems the people on G551 treatment are doing well. Hang in there!
Rob - Almost 42 and feeling pretty good!

rmotion

I have been in the same situation. I would dred getting a PICC line and it would actually keep me from getting admitted, adding one more complexity to the mix.
It would take hours of trying to get a line in me, the PIIC line nurse giving up sometimes. 15 years and 40 plus PICC lines later I did get a port. Not to mention if you come in a Friday many times you have to wait till Monday to get a PICC line and they will have to run a regular IV in the interim. Not to mention the nurses hate to have to stick us too.
I think we hold out not getting a PORT due to some notion that if we get a port it is one step closer to our demise. I guess being stubborn is just one more coping mechanism that we use to deal with CF.
If you are being admitted more than once a year and are hard to get a PICC line it is worth it. You do have to get it flushed once a month but well worth the hassle.
I wish I did it 15 years ago. Same goes true for a G-tube.(look up my post about G-tube advantage). Nutrition and compliance is all we have to stay well!
The new strategy needs to be for us holding on hope of these new drugs coming online in the next few years we have to do what we can to stay well. If something facilitates our compliance to therapy and such then we need to embrace it.
My hope is we are in the winter of CF and spring is around the corner. Sounds corny but rings true. I could not of said that 15 years ago when stuff if proposed to be coming out It seems the people on G551 treatment are doing well. Hang in there!
Rob - Almost 42 and feeling pretty good!

lexisangels05

My Lexi doesn't have great veins...but only have to do 1-2 trys to get a PICC in. She has been in the hospital twice per year for the last 3 years. The problem we have is with the adhesive. She is highly sensitive/allergic to almost every dressing. It seems to be worse with every line. We even use the expensive IV3000...this doesn't make a difference. She experiences redness, swelling, and her skin begins to break down. Very, Very Painful!!!
Do any of you experience this? I wander if a PORT would be better?
Melissa

lexisangels05

My Lexi doesn't have great veins...but only have to do 1-2 trys to get a PICC in. She has been in the hospital twice per year for the last 3 years. The problem we have is with the adhesive. She is highly sensitive/allergic to almost every dressing. It seems to be worse with every line. We even use the expensive IV3000...this doesn't make a difference. She experiences redness, swelling, and her skin begins to break down. Very, Very Painful!!!
Do any of you experience this? I wander if a PORT would be better?
Melissa

semnle34

I spent years getting poked and proded from PICC lines. I have scars up and down both of my arms. I went through rolling veins, blowing veins, to now veins that dont even work because of the PICC lines. I finally decided to get the port and have NO regrets. Had a difficult time with placement of my port, first one got infected and had to be removed, second one didnt work out due to where I asked the doctor to put it but the third time was the charm. Its great and makes the long IV doses easy to handle. I learned how to access it by myself and need zero assistance from home health. The only regret I have is that I didnt do it sooner. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask. I am an advocate for the Port.

Kristen-29 yr old DF508, mother of 3 year of daughter {non-CF}, Mycobacterum

semnle34

I spent years getting poked and proded from PICC lines. I have scars up and down both of my arms. I went through rolling veins, blowing veins, to now veins that dont even work because of the PICC lines. I finally decided to get the port and have NO regrets. Had a difficult time with placement of my port, first one got infected and had to be removed, second one didnt work out due to where I asked the doctor to put it but the third time was the charm. Its great and makes the long IV doses easy to handle. I learned how to access it by myself and need zero assistance from home health. The only regret I have is that I didnt do it sooner. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask. I am an advocate for the Port.

Kristen-29 yr old DF508, mother of 3 year of daughter {non-CF}, Mycobacterum