How much of your depression/anxiety is caused by CF?

Enzo2311

So its common in those with CF. If you have those issues, how much is caused by CF? I think 50% of it is caused by CF indirectly. For example, I would be able to gain muscle easier, I wouldn't have been late entering puberty in MS/HS, I wouldn't be using the bathroom so much and I would probably have healthier looking teeth (due to lack of vitamins ADEK), I wouldn't leave the bathroom smelling like I let a dead body rot in there (lol)

Just things like that.

W

windex125

My bad times did not kick in till my 30's and it's been downhill since. Enzo I'm glad you mentioned teeth, can you believe I still suffer over this... as mentioned too many times I am older, but hvg those pale yellow teeth was the most horrible part. I hope that does not sound too vain... The constant being made fun of was so not nice as a child. I had them whitened at least 3-4x in the past 6yrs. once all of that became avail. but they just go back to the ulgy color. I never smile in pictures, also a main concern is phelgm I go out with friends we laugh a lot I cover my mouth immediately as I can see a big phelgm ball going across the table and hitting someone in the face how gross. I get chills just thinking abt it. I also love salsa dancing, or any dancing for the most part, but now with only one lung I run out of air so fast. The anti-depressants help some what but I still hv the pale yellow teeth, and no air..... so I walk a lot now and read, I've become the life of the party to the sad sole robbed of my fun. Pat

nmw0615

I don't think I can quantify how much of my depression is CF related. I was predisposed because depression runs in my family, so I likely would have experienced some depression regardless of having CF. I'm on an antidepressant, but I don't use it to fix my depression. The med only allows my thoughts to become organized. I write and see a therapist to sort everything out. As for the physical issues of CF, I've accepted them. My stomach is always going to stick out a little. My teeth will always be a little yellow. I've got a ton of scars and I proudly show them off. I've never felt like I needed to hide any aspect of my CF.

W

windex125

nnw0615 very well said, great positive thinking I forgot abt the belly part I bought spanks... they are hard to get in and even harder to get out of, screw that too. I've accepted a lot of the same issues, well except the teeth that will haunt me till I die I guess... Pat

ethan508

There is an interesting theory that low oxygen might affect mental health. The article below speaks to oxygen poor air, but I think oxygen poor blood would have similar effects.

http://mic.com/articles/104096/ther...ah-and-one-neuroscientist-thinks-he-knows-why

"Renshaw believes that oxygen-poor air tampers with brain chemistry, leading to a drop in serotonin and an uptick in dopamine. Serotonin and dopamine are neurotransmitters, brain chemicals that relay signals between neurons and other cells.

"Serotonin, an inhibitory neurotransmitter, helps stabilize emotions. Antidepressants — SSRIs, (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor), which include Prozac and Lexapro — work by blocking the transport of serotonin back to the neurons, thereby increasing its supply in the brain.

"Dopamine, an excitatory neurotransmitter, plays a vital role in our ability to focus. Too little dopamine can make us scatterbrained, whereas a dopamine increase causes hyper-concentration and feelings of euphoria. Caffeine, prescription drugs, including some ADD/ADHD medications, and illegal stimulants like cocaine and methamphetamine, work by increasing the availability of dopamine in our brains."

nmw0615

Windex, I do have something that's almost like a modern day corset for when I am wearing a dress that needs a smoother tummy area, but it doesn't really "tuck it in." It just smooths my stomach so it doesn't look like I'm trying to chop my stomach in half, haha.

I did eventually get veneers for my top middle teeth. Eventually, they got so sensitive from myself trying to whiten and my dentist trying to make them cleaner, that the veneer was a way to protect them. They're still tinted slightly yellow to match the rest of my teeth, though.

Ethan, that's an interesting bit of information. I'll have to look into it more. Thanks for sharing!

ladybird

I believe I was born depressed. As an undiagnosed CF baby I am told I screamed nonstop for my first two years of life, due to burst ear drums, whooping cough and constant infections. I am on 150 mg of sertraline a day, and I think it just makes me feel normal. I have to watch my anger levels though and focus on gratitude and the other people in my life. I can definitely say I have experienced the full scope of human emotions, from rage to hatred to full on nihilistic suicidal thoughts. It has been a plus for me as a writer as I feel I can understand almost any character! I think of the negative emotions as the dark part of chiaroscuro in a painting that makes up one's complete life.

Just want to encourage everyone experiencing depression to exercise daily, esp. interval training, pursue hobbies that give you enjoyment, cut back on TV - ideally toss the whole thing out the window, and dance around naked while blasting your favorite music. It works for me!

imported_Momto2

I'm not sad or depressed often, but when I am, probably about 50% of the time its due to CF/complications. The other 50% is family stuff or choices I regret.

nmw0615

Ladybird, have you heard of the Day Designer? It's a pretty expensive daily planner, so I'm not suggesting anyone purchase one, but part of the daily plan is a place to write a daily inspiration. Based on that idea, I make sure to write (using a dry erase marker) on my bathroom mirror something positive. That way, one the the best first things I see when I wake up is something positive. It's really helped me.

Renee Vasquez

I think I use to be more depressed about my CF than I am now. I use to see it as a huge barrier and think of all the things I may not have in life, like children. Then i had my son and I really can't recall being sad in the last 2 years of my life without really good reason. Of course the normal life wear and tear that no one can avoid. BUT the I want to die, life is horrible, I hate everything sadness just vanished. Its really weird to me, like i had some chemical imbalance that pregnancy hormones just sorted out for me or something. Before that though I'd say 75% of my depression was based in my diagnosis . I'm a very mild case but I read to much into it and watched others with CF go through some rough patches, and it gave me the "oh no this is gonna be me" thoughts. . . . all in all, I think like anything in life. You have to have a positive outlook. All my worried thoughts did nothing but keep me depressed. Once I had the ONE MAIN thing I needed in life (my child) nothing else really seemed worry worthy cause I focused on the one blessing I did have.

imported_Momto2

Renee, I noticed as well that I got depressed about the CF MUCH less often once I had kids. However *chuckle* I doubt it was the pregnancy hormones since my two girls were adopted. Then again, I did gain about 15 lbs before each "birth" (child coming home to us) even the one that we did not know it was happening and were only given 24 hours notice. Weird, eh? I totally agree that watching other with CF go through very very tough times and pass away really messes with your head. I think its only human to think that you are next, or this is gonna be me, etc. It can be very hard. I have found with 2 kids though, I rarely have the luxury of any time to think about such things :)

D

daniela.l

I have blamed my CF on my depression. However, it didn't start until my mid teens. That's when I started noticing it more. This is also the time where my CF got severe so I couldn't do normal things that others could, like walk up the stairs or play a sport. Simple things. It's as if the depression was slowly building up since I was a kid because my mom was so protective over me that she didn't let me engage in normal kid activities. Eventually that caught up to the point where myself and doctor figured out I had depression. Seeing a therapist helped, but not enough. Especially since my CF was getting worse and worse. There wasn't a bright side to look at. Finally, I started zoloft last year and it has definitely helped even though I was hesitant to take a medication that alters your brain. (still sounds weird to me lol). But depression comes with any chronic illness, it's a symptom and it has to be treated like the other symptoms of CF.

daniela
catchingyourbreaths.wordpress.com

W

windex125

Daniel I"m glad the Zoloft helped that was the first one I tried years ago an it really was helpful. As for our oxygen levels dropping and hvg a part in this a agree with that as well, as mentioned many times before I hv only one functioning lung the other has been collapsed for years, I sleep with o2 at night but I've never ckd my numbers I just do not want to know. I wake refreshed, and that is all that I care abt. Pat

cam

I have depression and anxiety im depressed for years over having this illness and not being able to do everything that I wanted and want to with my life and the anxiety only came on strong bout 8 years ago when my health started to go down and coughing up blood all the time so my anxiety is always there but gets worse as my health gets bad or when I think bout the future and the bad times that are coming what helps me for just a few hours is goin to the gym running, lifting wts. Amd to get oit my anger I hit the punching bag those things help me for little bit but after when I get home I start thinking why cant I ne healthy or normal so I can try everything I ever wanted and so on doing things with family helps also I hope everyone gets better and stays healthy physically amd mentally and keep fighting for a cure

Hi everyone - I just wanted to share this wisdom that was given to me from a dear wise 20 year old on this forum. He lives his life this way even though he faces many trials in this life and is presently in the hospital fighting this awful disease. It is hard to find anyone with such strength and courage and wisdom and insight. These are his words even from the hospital today. Just want to share them. Here they are exactly:

I want you to know that,

Fear is not real
Its an illusion of a future
that you know nothing about
If you fear
You're not present
You are worrying about the
future.
Which does not exist.
All we have is here and
now.
In fact the future is
created by what we do in
the present.

You should try and stay
present.
Forget about the future.
stop thinking about
scenarios and what might
happen
For we don't know
Anything can happen so you
have to live right here and
now.

Maybe this can help you:

Every time fear sets in
Every time you have a
negative thought
or and anxious thought,

I want you to stop for a
second, take a breath, and
look at that thought and
fear
As a third person.

You are not your thoughts.
Its your ego self
And it is talking to you.
Look at those thoughts
instead of identifying with
them.

That's what I do.
It helps me to stay present
and live my life instead of
worrying about things that
probably will never
happen.

There is a book out there
about this by Eckhart Tolle.
It might help you. I read it
myself.

It is called The Power of
Now.

Just wanted to share his words even from where he is. Such strength!