How to choose preschool and school

My daughter will be starting preschool in 1,5 years (at age 5) - I know I still have time but there are lots of kids here and to little schools - so we have to start choosing early.
Any help will be appreciated?
New building? sports classes? distance from home - what's most important.
Thanks

My daughter will be starting preschool in 1,5 years (at age 5) - I know I still have time but there are lots of kids here and to little schools - so we have to start choosing early.
Any help will be appreciated?
New building? sports classes? distance from home - what's most important.
Thanks

<br />Any help will be appreciated?
<br />New building? sports classes? distance from home - what's most important.
<br />Thanks

ymikhale

I would try to get a feel for how cooperative the teachers/management are. Will they let you know if any illness is going around? Or if your daughter is coughing, seems tired etc? Here in France we set up a special needs child plan with the school, they are supposed to adhere to it but I am really sceptical they will do everything as they should unless they are willing to.

ymikhale

I would try to get a feel for how cooperative the teachers/management are. Will they let you know if any illness is going around? Or if your daughter is coughing, seems tired etc? Here in France we set up a special needs child plan with the school, they are supposed to adhere to it but I am really sceptical they will do everything as they should unless they are willing to.

ymikhale

<br />

Melissa75

Administrator
Teachers!
Meet them. Find out it they are planning to stay. (I got burned on that once when splendid teacher left 2 weeks into the preschool yr. and apparently parents not new to the school like me knew this would happen!)

Sometimes a school has a very charismatic principal or leader, but the teachers are mediocre. Make sure you meet the teachers. An intelligent and motivated bunch of teachers can work around resource issues. And an apathetic group can do little with the tools handed to them.

What are their philosophies on learning and discipline? How do they structure the day? How do they account for different learning styles and different levels of advancement in the same age group.

Also look at class size, no matter how talented a teacher, too many kids to handle can wreck the learning potential of everyone. Also, how does the school handle special needs kids (ADHD, Autism)? Is their enough money for the class to get an additional teacher to compensate for the attention this/these children will need?

I am sure other people will have great advice, but this is what I've learned over the yrs. My kids are only 5, 7, and 9. They went/go to private preschools and go to public elementary school.

Oh, here is another thing I'll add which might come off badly, but try to look at who are the other kids and families that go to the school. In general what are their values and beliefs. Is your child going to be surrounded by children whose parents only buy them expensive clothes and iPods? Is your child going to be surrounded by overworked parents who cannot participate in its events or boost the schools' function?
My preference if possible is for an economic, social and racial mix--so my kids learn more about the world: that some kids will have their own Mac laptops in third grade, and others will wear 4x hand-me-down clothes.

Melissa75

Administrator
Teachers!
Meet them. Find out it they are planning to stay. (I got burned on that once when splendid teacher left 2 weeks into the preschool yr. and apparently parents not new to the school like me knew this would happen!)

Sometimes a school has a very charismatic principal or leader, but the teachers are mediocre. Make sure you meet the teachers. An intelligent and motivated bunch of teachers can work around resource issues. And an apathetic group can do little with the tools handed to them.

What are their philosophies on learning and discipline? How do they structure the day? How do they account for different learning styles and different levels of advancement in the same age group.

Also look at class size, no matter how talented a teacher, too many kids to handle can wreck the learning potential of everyone. Also, how does the school handle special needs kids (ADHD, Autism)? Is their enough money for the class to get an additional teacher to compensate for the attention this/these children will need?

I am sure other people will have great advice, but this is what I've learned over the yrs. My kids are only 5, 7, and 9. They went/go to private preschools and go to public elementary school.

Oh, here is another thing I'll add which might come off badly, but try to look at who are the other kids and families that go to the school. In general what are their values and beliefs. Is your child going to be surrounded by children whose parents only buy them expensive clothes and iPods? Is your child going to be surrounded by overworked parents who cannot participate in its events or boost the schools' function?
My preference if possible is for an economic, social and racial mix--so my kids learn more about the world: that some kids will have their own Mac laptops in third grade, and others will wear 4x hand-me-down clothes.

Melissa75

Administrator
Teachers!
<br />Meet them. Find out it they are planning to stay. (I got burned on that once when splendid teacher left 2 weeks into the preschool yr. and apparently parents not new to the school like me knew this would happen!)
<br />
<br />Sometimes a school has a very charismatic principal or leader, but the teachers are mediocre. Make sure you meet the teachers. An intelligent and motivated bunch of teachers can work around resource issues. And an apathetic group can do little with the tools handed to them.
<br />
<br />What are their philosophies on learning and discipline? How do they structure the day? How do they account for different learning styles and different levels of advancement in the same age group.
<br />
<br />Also look at class size, no matter how talented a teacher, too many kids to handle can wreck the learning potential of everyone. Also, how does the school handle special needs kids (ADHD, Autism)? Is their enough money for the class to get an additional teacher to compensate for the attention this/these children will need?
<br />
<br />I am sure other people will have great advice, but this is what I've learned over the yrs. My kids are only 5, 7, and 9. They went/go to private preschools and go to public elementary school.
<br />
<br />Oh, here is another thing I'll add which might come off badly, but try to look at who are the other kids and families that go to the school. In general what are their values and beliefs. Is your child going to be surrounded by children whose parents only buy them expensive clothes and iPods? Is your child going to be surrounded by overworked parents who cannot participate in its events or boost the schools' function?
<br />My preference if possible is for an economic, social and racial mix--so my kids learn more about the world: that some kids will have their own Mac laptops in third grade, and others will wear 4x hand-me-down clothes.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS' preschool was fairly close to home. They were very good about informing parents about what illnesses were going around and enforcing their sick policy. Great about sanitizing surfaces, toys, etc.

I loved it that they had a nice playground, plus they set aside time each morning and afternoon to go on walks, play outside. The preschool curriculum followed that of the elementary school system. During the summer they transported the children to swimming, baseball, tennis lessons thru the parks system and also had field trips.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS' preschool was fairly close to home. They were very good about informing parents about what illnesses were going around and enforcing their sick policy. Great about sanitizing surfaces, toys, etc.

I loved it that they had a nice playground, plus they set aside time each morning and afternoon to go on walks, play outside. The preschool curriculum followed that of the elementary school system. During the summer they transported the children to swimming, baseball, tennis lessons thru the parks system and also had field trips.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />I loved it that they had a nice playground, plus they set aside time each morning and afternoon to go on walks, play outside. The preschool curriculum followed that of the elementary school system. During the summer they transported the children to swimming, baseball, tennis lessons thru the parks system and also had field trips.

PatrickM

I loved the preschool my son went to . It was what they call a cooperative preschool and parents were present each day in the class to work as a "parent helper". I loved seeing my son interact with the other kids and other parents go to know my son so when he went for play dates at their house they felt comfortable giving him his enzymes.

I would say what I really loved most and what I specifically looked for when I was researching preschools for him was class size. My older son, non cf, went to a very large preschool, 20 kids and 3 teachers. For my younger son I found a preschool with 12 children per class, I figured fewer opportunities to get sick. Also they went outside every single day. I loved that he was out getting fresh air and exercise.

The teacher/ student ratio is important as well because if the teacher has more time I find the classroom will be cleaner. So be sure to see the environment your child will be in. You aren't going to avoid all germs but does the place look clean, do they clean the toys, how does the bathroom look? Do they have access to a playground? My older son had a beautiful playground at his preschool but the teachers never took the kids outside . Some teachers think by the time the kids get dressed in the winter it is time to come back in so why bother. Others, and this was my youngest son's school philosophy, is that getting dressed in itself is a learning experience.

See if you can observe a class and then decide could you picture your child there. Good luck!

Tara

PatrickM

I loved the preschool my son went to . It was what they call a cooperative preschool and parents were present each day in the class to work as a "parent helper". I loved seeing my son interact with the other kids and other parents go to know my son so when he went for play dates at their house they felt comfortable giving him his enzymes.

I would say what I really loved most and what I specifically looked for when I was researching preschools for him was class size. My older son, non cf, went to a very large preschool, 20 kids and 3 teachers. For my younger son I found a preschool with 12 children per class, I figured fewer opportunities to get sick. Also they went outside every single day. I loved that he was out getting fresh air and exercise.

The teacher/ student ratio is important as well because if the teacher has more time I find the classroom will be cleaner. So be sure to see the environment your child will be in. You aren't going to avoid all germs but does the place look clean, do they clean the toys, how does the bathroom look? Do they have access to a playground? My older son had a beautiful playground at his preschool but the teachers never took the kids outside . Some teachers think by the time the kids get dressed in the winter it is time to come back in so why bother. Others, and this was my youngest son's school philosophy, is that getting dressed in itself is a learning experience.

See if you can observe a class and then decide could you picture your child there. Good luck!

Tara

PatrickM

<br />
<br /> I would say what I really loved most and what I specifically looked for when I was researching preschools for him was class size. My older son, non cf, went to a very large preschool, 20 kids and 3 teachers. For my younger son I found a preschool with 12 children per class, I figured fewer opportunities to get sick. Also they went outside every single day. I loved that he was out getting fresh air and exercise.
<br />
<br /> The teacher/ student ratio is important as well because if the teacher has more time I find the classroom will be cleaner. So be sure to see the environment your child will be in. You aren't going to avoid all germs but does the place look clean, do they clean the toys, how does the bathroom look? Do they have access to a playground? My older son had a beautiful playground at his preschool but the teachers never took the kids outside . Some teachers think by the time the kids get dressed in the winter it is time to come back in so why bother. Others, and this was my youngest son's school philosophy, is that getting dressed in itself is a learning experience.
<br />
<br />See if you can observe a class and then decide could you picture your child there. Good luck!
<br />
<br />Tara
<br />
<br />

auntcob

Hi--You have touched on a subject near and dear to my heart!! I am a professor of early childhood education. The number one link to preschool quality is teacher education. In America, anyone can teach preschool, without teacher certification. In many states, the regulations require only a high school diploma. Some other countries have universal preschool (tied to the public school system) and/or teaching certification is required--not sure how you country works.

I would suggest looking at www.NAEYC.org--the National Association for the Education of Young Children. They have a wealth of information including quality checklists.

Key things in addition to teacher education: like Tara said, class size; student teacher ratio. For 5 year olds, the ratio in the States is 20 to 1. I would look for no more than 15 to 1. Daily schedule----is there lots of time for child-selected activity like PLAY; they should have an open door policy---parents can drop by at anytime. Open-ended materials like blocks, art supplies, etc. Ask yourself if the majority of the materials they have available can be used in multiple ways, i.e. can the kids use their imaginations? No worksheets or scripted art lessons--like everyone makes the identical looking caterpillar out of egg cartons....

This is off the top of my head and am rushing out to teach my first class of the day, coincidentally Introduction to Early Childhood Education........

Good luck and ask more if you want.........

auntcob

Hi--You have touched on a subject near and dear to my heart!! I am a professor of early childhood education. The number one link to preschool quality is teacher education. In America, anyone can teach preschool, without teacher certification. In many states, the regulations require only a high school diploma. Some other countries have universal preschool (tied to the public school system) and/or teaching certification is required--not sure how you country works.

I would suggest looking at www.NAEYC.org--the National Association for the Education of Young Children. They have a wealth of information including quality checklists.

Key things in addition to teacher education: like Tara said, class size; student teacher ratio. For 5 year olds, the ratio in the States is 20 to 1. I would look for no more than 15 to 1. Daily schedule----is there lots of time for child-selected activity like PLAY; they should have an open door policy---parents can drop by at anytime. Open-ended materials like blocks, art supplies, etc. Ask yourself if the majority of the materials they have available can be used in multiple ways, i.e. can the kids use their imaginations? No worksheets or scripted art lessons--like everyone makes the identical looking caterpillar out of egg cartons....

This is off the top of my head and am rushing out to teach my first class of the day, coincidentally Introduction to Early Childhood Education........

Good luck and ask more if you want.........

auntcob

<br />
<br />I would suggest looking at www.NAEYC.org--the National Association for the Education of Young Children. They have a wealth of information including quality checklists.
<br />
<br />Key things in addition to teacher education: like Tara said, class size; student teacher ratio. For 5 year olds, the ratio in the States is 20 to 1. I would look for no more than 15 to 1. Daily schedule----is there lots of time for child-selected activity like PLAY; they should have an open door policy---parents can drop by at anytime. Open-ended materials like blocks, art supplies, etc. Ask yourself if the majority of the materials they have available can be used in multiple ways, i.e. can the kids use their imaginations? No worksheets or scripted art lessons--like everyone makes the identical looking caterpillar out of egg cartons....
<br />
<br />This is off the top of my head and am rushing out to teach my first class of the day, coincidentally Introduction to Early Childhood Education........
<br />
<br />Good luck and ask more if you want.........

LouLou

From a cf perspective...
- sick policy
- bathroom procedure and how much sticklers they are for handwashing.
- indoor air quality report results
- condition and general cleanliness of toys and facilty
- no daycare at same facility

From a non-cf perspective there are many things to consider but this is not the forum for that so I'll not get into detail other than a great question to ask is what do they do when two kids are fighting over a toy. I find this gets to the route of their teaching style and whether they are teaching communication skills or just trying to entertain your child.

LouLou

From a cf perspective...
- sick policy
- bathroom procedure and how much sticklers they are for handwashing.
- indoor air quality report results
- condition and general cleanliness of toys and facilty
- no daycare at same facility

From a non-cf perspective there are many things to consider but this is not the forum for that so I'll not get into detail other than a great question to ask is what do they do when two kids are fighting over a toy. I find this gets to the route of their teaching style and whether they are teaching communication skills or just trying to entertain your child.