How to keep up with neb cup age

scrapper1264

How does everyone keep up with how old a certain nebulizer cup is? I used to mark my son's cups with a sharpie but the ink fades, and I must admit I have been a little lazy about trying to keep up with the dates! He nebs Xopenex, Saline, Pulmozyme and Tobi when needed so he has a lot of cups. As long as the med comes out in a mist is it necessary to replace the cup every 6 months?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
It's hard to keep track; however, Pari has a new reminder button that you attach to your compressor that turns red when it's time to change neb cups. And even though mist is still coming out neb cups can get warped from all the boiling we do to them, hard water can cause issues and drugs like tobi can interfere and clog them up, too. If treatment times are increasing, it's probably a good idea to change them, too even if the 6 months isn't up.

D

Deb

I have the same problem. I have tried marking the cups but then there are so many parts that I don't always put them back together the same. So I may be using one cup that is new and 2 that are older but when i wash them all together I no longer know which parts are which. How do other people keep track?

S

SassyGirl13

I have been having the same problem. Also, since 2 or 3 meds use the same type of neb it's hard to keep it straight so I wrote to Pari and suggested they make different colors (they could put a dot or something on them that wouldn't wash off) but the customer service girl really didn't understand my issue. She told me I should get a special box for each one and mark what med it is...??? I've had a side stream for over 10 years and I hate throwing it away because it's gray (and not blue like they are today).

S

Shelly43

I've been using different colored sharpies and marking them as I've been told not to use the same neb cups for dffernet meds?

So I mark each a differnet color and keep a few sets running at a time then throw them all out? I also keep a calendar in my purse all the time for meds and changes and things.....That way when the general doctor asks when we switched meds I have it along with me? Besiides a good place to add questions that might come up between visits?

Seeing as my son goes in almost every six months? it's a good tim to throw them all out, especially since if we ask the nurses let you keep all the neb cups used there for the whole14 days? I go home with plenty to keep us going, I mark them all and start again?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I do use a sharpie, too. Years ago someone told me they scratch the outside with a pin and then paint nail police on the scratch to color code neb parts. Never tried that. I've also tried to time neb cup replacments with DS' birthday -- was born and diagnosed wcf in June -- so replace neb cups and do so again in December.

K

Kaethe108

So you change every six months?
We get a "year pack" which means we change only once a year.
We have one cup for morning and one for the evening. I marked them with a permanent marker.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
One for each drug -- Tobi, Pulmozyme and Albuterol/Atrovent. Plus I have extras, so I only have to boil nebs once a day instead after each use. And manufacture labels indicate changing every 6 months. I get reminder emails from Pari, but it's based on 6 months from the time we got DS' compressor and I had just changed out neb cups a couple months before.

S

SassyGirl13

How do you get the ink to stay on? I've tried all kinds of markers and mine always comes off

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
How do you get the ink to stay on? I've tried all kinds of markers and mine always comes off

I've had the best luck with those big old "Marks A Lot" markers. Think they're made by Avery. Sharpies tend to fade fairly soon after use, but better than any other "permanant" markers I've used.

schmj4910

I purchased a cheap etching pen on eBay. Total cost was about $3.00. It runs on two AA batteries, which are not included. Here's a link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Je...524?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1b5b2fec

I etch the date into the cup, the insert, and the cap. I make sure to do it in a spot that will not interfere with the proper usage of the neb cup. I do not etch on the blue rubber circle.

I always etch after the first use, before boiling. The etching creates some dust and debris. I etch the date of the first use. The etching pen is a little awkward to use at first, but you get the hang of it quick. I found the best way is to hold it at a 90 degree angle, not slanted (like you would hold a pencil).

I got sick of writing the date on with a Sharpie all the time. This is the best way I've found.