How to Teach Other Children Healthy Diet and Not Confuse CF Child?

LisaGreene

Hi Gammaw,
Yeah, this is a tough one- we went through it, too. In fact, we still do because our kids' classmates will tell them directly that they aren't eating "healthy food." So we've had to do some educating both of our kids and the kids in class as well as the teachers. And our kids handle it well now because they are older (9 and 11) and they are well educated on what their needs are.

We've also taught them effective ways to answer the "comments" from the other kids. It's almost the same kind of training that parents need to give kids for handling bullying. A great book for this is "Words Will Never Hurt Me- Helping Kids Handle Teasing, Bullying, and Putdowns" by Sally Ogden; available at www.LoveandLogic.com and amazon.

So, I would talk with the teacher about this especially with the new section on nutrition coming up. If it were me, I would volunteer to teach a little segment to the kids about CF and how different people have different bodies and different needs. But, you might not be comfortable with this so just talking with the teacher will hopefully take care of it.

The other important piece is to teach your little one about CF care and that some things about his body are different. At 4, he is old enough to understand this if presented simply. There are some good books for his age level which will help him to learn about CF and how to care for himself including his nutritional needs. Now is the perfect time to begin educating him about this.

Good luck on this. My website has some ideas and tips for teaching the class if you need them. www.TipsForCFParents.com under School Issues.

Take care, Lisa

LisaGreene

Hi Gammaw,
Yeah, this is a tough one- we went through it, too. In fact, we still do because our kids' classmates will tell them directly that they aren't eating "healthy food." So we've had to do some educating both of our kids and the kids in class as well as the teachers. And our kids handle it well now because they are older (9 and 11) and they are well educated on what their needs are.

We've also taught them effective ways to answer the "comments" from the other kids. It's almost the same kind of training that parents need to give kids for handling bullying. A great book for this is "Words Will Never Hurt Me- Helping Kids Handle Teasing, Bullying, and Putdowns" by Sally Ogden; available at www.LoveandLogic.com and amazon.

So, I would talk with the teacher about this especially with the new section on nutrition coming up. If it were me, I would volunteer to teach a little segment to the kids about CF and how different people have different bodies and different needs. But, you might not be comfortable with this so just talking with the teacher will hopefully take care of it.

The other important piece is to teach your little one about CF care and that some things about his body are different. At 4, he is old enough to understand this if presented simply. There are some good books for his age level which will help him to learn about CF and how to care for himself including his nutritional needs. Now is the perfect time to begin educating him about this.

Good luck on this. My website has some ideas and tips for teaching the class if you need them. www.TipsForCFParents.com under School Issues.

Take care, Lisa

LisaGreene

Hi Gammaw,

Take care, Lisa

LisaGreene

Hi Gammaw,

Take care, Lisa

LisaGreene

Hi Gammaw,
<br />Yeah, this is a tough one- we went through it, too. In fact, we still do because our kids' classmates will tell them directly that they aren't eating "healthy food." So we've had to do some educating both of our kids and the kids in class as well as the teachers. And our kids handle it well now because they are older (9 and 11) and they are well educated on what their needs are.
<br />
<br />We've also taught them effective ways to answer the "comments" from the other kids. It's almost the same kind of training that parents need to give kids for handling bullying. A great book for this is "Words Will Never Hurt Me- Helping Kids Handle Teasing, Bullying, and Putdowns" by Sally Ogden; available at www.LoveandLogic.com and amazon.
<br />
<br />So, I would talk with the teacher about this especially with the new section on nutrition coming up. If it were me, I would volunteer to teach a little segment to the kids about CF and how different people have different bodies and different needs. But, you might not be comfortable with this so just talking with the teacher will hopefully take care of it.
<br />
<br />The other important piece is to teach your little one about CF care and that some things about his body are different. At 4, he is old enough to understand this if presented simply. There are some good books for his age level which will help him to learn about CF and how to care for himself including his nutritional needs. Now is the perfect time to begin educating him about this.
<br />
<br />Good luck on this. My website has some ideas and tips for teaching the class if you need them. www.TipsForCFParents.com under School Issues.
<br />
<br />Take care, Lisa