Hypertonic Saline Backordered

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone else having issues getting hypertonic saline? Pharmacy couldn't get our full order last month due to backordering issues.

dbtoo2

Yes. Pharmacy decided to swith me to 3% normal saline for injection in 15ml vials, as if it was the same thing! Then they lied about it and said it was what the doctor had ordered for me. I've been told there is a 3.5% hypertonic solution available.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Yikes! DS uses 7%. I've heard from others who indicated they were told there's a shortage due to usage on covid floors. I've seen it available online at a very inflated rate. Guess I'll ask about options when he has an appointment next month.

bharison

I used to get 3% solution from Foundation Care Pharmacy but they no longer provide it. I now get it from CVS Pharmacy but they send 50 vials
each 15 ml. which is more than needed for one doze. I have to pay out of pocket as not covered by insurance.

stephen

Super Moderator
When I first started using Hypertonic Saline in 2005, I use to “mix” it. (I’m not sure if they had 7% at the time.)

My doctor prescribed 10 ml vials of both 3% and 10% saline. I would mix 2 ml of the 3% with 3 ml of the 10% to get 5 ml of approximately 7%.

The 3% vials provided 3 doses and the 7% 2. It was extremely inexpensive!