Hypertonic saline burning your throat?

CyrilCrodius

I'm calling the users of hypertonic saline. Does it happen that it burns your throat so much that it's unbearable? Does it happens only when your throat is especially irritated or is it always like that?
I went to the hospital to try it today and after the second breath, it was burning my throat so bad that I was wondering how the hell people could tolerate it. I didn't even finish the treatment. I took it for less than 1 minute. The burn was too much. So I want to know whether I should give it another try at another time, in case this effect is only due to temporary irritation. Because for the less than 1 minutes I took it, I was already coughing stuff up. It was 7%.
The good thing is that although I didn't take a lot, my pre and post PFT remained unchanged.

mamerth

I would call it a sure fire throat irritant. I get a dull sore throat if I do the whole tube. There are times (when I have a cold) that I have to tolerate HTS. It does get things moving.

CyrilCrodius

To me it was burning almost as much as if I was rubbing salt in an open wound. My lungs were okay, but the throat really didn't like it. Does it get that bad for you?

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Our son who is 3 has been doing for about 6 - 12 months now and we started it up very slowly 10 seconds, 20 seconds, etc. He does the full dose (7%) and never seems to have an issue. But I think there are a few % of folks who can't tolerate. I would try it again but do it slowly, literally 10 seconds at a time building it up.

CyrilCrodius

That is a good idea. They really want to test my PFTs before and after before officially giving me hypersal to make sure it doesn't cause too much inflammation - as I already have a lot - so I'll make a call to the hospital for another appointment and try taking it more slowly.

I really hope it works, because less than 1 minute of taking it was enough to start coughing stuff up!

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
I hope that works--and I would really push to do it your way and maybe see if you can do PFTs at home while building it up. With our son, while doing 10 seconds, 20 seconds, etc., the moment he started to cough I stopped. Also, you are doing a broncihal (sp?) dialator first, right Xopenex or sorry blanking on more common one??? I was told if you don't do those first you will have a bad reaction to hyper-sal. (Also if while doing you have a broncial spasm, our nurse said to do xopenex again--even if just finished).

regina65

When I first started using hypersal I didn't think I would ever get used to the burning in my throat , but it does get easier . For me it did. But like mamerth said when I get drainage or a cold I have to slack off because it just makes me cough till my throat is raw.

bharison

I could not take the burning of the throat with 7% Hypersal either. The doctor reduced it to 3% and I am good with that. use it daily and it does work to clear up the mucus. I have gotten used to it and no sore throat or hoarseness.

BJM

SIcklyhatED

This is why I HATE having to do hypertonic in the hospital because they make you do it like 3-4x a day! I even lost my voice once because it was so harsh on my throat but nooooooooooo....... had to keep doing it. Sometimes I dilute it down just a tad with albuterol or these little vials of sterile water I have. It's just too harsh.
But you do get used to it. At first I would be coughing HARD for a very long time afterwards but now it barel makes me cough.

C

chandan20

Some home remedies for sore throat:

* Put 1 tablespoon of salt in a glass of lukewarm water and do gargle, at least 4-5 times a day.

* You can also have 1 spoon of honey mix with ginger juice. But it should be taken once a day because it’s very strong.

* Instead of water you can do the gargling with betadine or even vodka. They are best in killing bacteria.

* Hot lemonade mix with honey relieves the pain quickly.

These were some home remedies for sore throat. For more information please visit my website http://sorethroatremediess.com/

Thanks for posting this question and all the information. HTS really bothers my throat, too. Only while I'm doing it...but my voice is always hoarse. Very annoying, but better than the alternative.

CyrilCrodius

I gave it another try at my last clinic appointment this week, as I thought that perhaps the reason it burned so much was because I had an especially irritated throat that day. Turns out I was right! This time, my throat was fine! I've been able to tolerate it A1! I only had 1 coughing fit during the whole thing. Otherwise, I didn't have to stop!

The PFTs showed that it caused a 4% drop. Though I really am not sure about this. The first PFTs I've done were on a different machine than usual, and I was at 33%. It really seemed odd to me as I've been stuck at ~30% for over a year and didn't change anything to my treatment regiment other than taking A/D/E vitamins. So I thought that the 3% increase was rather suspicious.... Anyway! Either way, it's good news. It either means that hypersal doesn't cause me to lose any lung function or that I really am at 33% normal!

The doc and the nurses told me that a 4% decrease in lung function wasn't significant and that it didn't justify not giving me hypersal. I should have my first order of hypersal tomorrow. Can't wait to do it!