Hypertonic Saline Non-Covered Medication

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS' doctor switched him from Atrovent/Albuterol nebs to Hypertonic Saline/Albuterol last Fall and it's not covered under our insurance. So it's $33 every 20 days since he does treatments three times a day. It's just annoying that other, more expensive medications are covered, but not this. It's just saltwater.

Where does everyone get their hypersal? Are there any copay programs available? Thanks.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
We get our Hypersal free at Foundation Care Pharmacy with every order of Creon. It's a promotion. We recently switched to this to decrease the $ we spend on copays. Does your son do Hypersal 3 times a day?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, he does hypersal three times a day. Once we hit our $2700 out of pocket max for medical care, we don't have to pay copays UNLESS, which is the case the drug is considered non-covered. If it was non-forumulary, then we'd at least only have to pay for half.

Mekikya

well I am not sure about a long term solution but when I get desperate or I have a lapse in my insurance, I make my own for my son. I read this online a long time ago.

I get a gallon of distilled water (do not use any other kind of water!) and non iodine added salt (like kosher salt), I pour the salt in until it doesn't dissolve anymore and starts to pool up in the bottom of the gallon. Then I add a bit more. Shake it violently around until I dont see any salt at the bottom. Shake again before use, then I pour a little bit into the neb cup and it seems to work fine. Is it as potent at the hypersal? Maybe not but I'd rather do that then not do it at all. Keep it in the fridge for a week.

Last edited: