Hypoglycemia before CFRD?

Incomudrox

How many people have had hypoglycemia before their CFRD dx?
Also if you have hypoglycemia how long have you had it?

Incomudrox

How many people have had hypoglycemia before their CFRD dx?
Also if you have hypoglycemia how long have you had it?

Hi,

No, before I was diagnosed, I didn't notice any lows but I probably had hyperglycemia most of the time. I tend to run high without insulin and only get low blood sugar when I take to much insulin ( I have been diabetic for 14 years). Sorry if this is not very helpful.

Hi,

No, before I was diagnosed, I didn't notice any lows but I probably had hyperglycemia most of the time. I tend to run high without insulin and only get low blood sugar when I take to much insulin ( I have been diabetic for 14 years). Sorry if this is not very helpful.

mmmtat

ME! I have had hypoglycemia my entire life. I was FINALLY diagnosed with CFRD last September. My OGTT test, and A1C is still normal, but they put me on a dexcom continuous meter for one week and saw that I was hitting 200 and 300 with all food.

The dietician I am working with (she works at my CF clinic, and my endocrinologist's office) seems to be the most knowledgeble person I've ever met about CFRD, and she said "if you're going low, you're definitely going high".
I don't know if that is true for everyone, but it turned out true for me. I was undiagnosed for many, many years.

I'm still having trouble treating my highs, because I still get a lot of lows. My pancreas is slow to react (thus the highs), but when it does put out insulin, it really over does it (thus the lows).

mmmtat

ME! I have had hypoglycemia my entire life. I was FINALLY diagnosed with CFRD last September. My OGTT test, and A1C is still normal, but they put me on a dexcom continuous meter for one week and saw that I was hitting 200 and 300 with all food.

The dietician I am working with (she works at my CF clinic, and my endocrinologist's office) seems to be the most knowledgeble person I've ever met about CFRD, and she said "if you're going low, you're definitely going high".
I don't know if that is true for everyone, but it turned out true for me. I was undiagnosed for many, many years.

I'm still having trouble treating my highs, because I still get a lot of lows. My pancreas is slow to react (thus the highs), but when it does put out insulin, it really over does it (thus the lows).

robert321

I am not currently on insulin but have been on a small dose in the past. It was discontinued when I started having more trouble with lows and currently without it I have a normal a1c. They say I'm likely to have to start it again on down the road.
Right now I won't have very many lows except for when I do something out of the ordinary. If I have a very late lunch, spend very much time doing significant physical work, etc.

robert321

I am not currently on insulin but have been on a small dose in the past. It was discontinued when I started having more trouble with lows and currently without it I have a normal a1c. They say I'm likely to have to start it again on down the road.
Right now I won't have very many lows except for when I do something out of the ordinary. If I have a very late lunch, spend very much time doing significant physical work, etc.

Havoc

HbA1c isn't as useful in CF patients as it is with the regular population. A lot of the time you get false low readings, which might put you WNL when you are actually running high. The OGTT, or frequent home monitoring is the gold standard.

Havoc

HbA1c isn't as useful in CF patients as it is with the regular population. A lot of the time you get false low readings, which might put you WNL when you are actually running high. The OGTT, or frequent home monitoring is the gold standard.