I am a college graduate with CF in need of health insurance...

caccomando

Hello

I am 22 yrs and was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis at birth. I am fortunate to have a mild case and have been relatively healthy my entire life, with a few hiccups here and there.

I am now a college graduate and looking to start my career. However, since I can no longer be on my father's insurance plan because I am not a full-time student, I am without health insurance until I find a full-time job with employee benefits.

I am scared everyday that I wake up without health insurance, especially because this is the time of year that I generally get the most sick, due to allergies and CF.

Is anyone in the same situation? If so, do you have any tips/advice on where to look for health insurance coverage for people with CF to cover CF check-ups, antibiotics, etc. I have been declined by every carrier I have contacted so far. I am fortunate, however, to be receiving my Tobi, Pulmozyme, and Pancreas free of charge thanks to the CF Foundation.

I would appreciate any help on this matter.

Thank you.

Christin

caccomando

Hello

I am 22 yrs and was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis at birth. I am fortunate to have a mild case and have been relatively healthy my entire life, with a few hiccups here and there.

I am now a college graduate and looking to start my career. However, since I can no longer be on my father's insurance plan because I am not a full-time student, I am without health insurance until I find a full-time job with employee benefits.

I am scared everyday that I wake up without health insurance, especially because this is the time of year that I generally get the most sick, due to allergies and CF.

Is anyone in the same situation? If so, do you have any tips/advice on where to look for health insurance coverage for people with CF to cover CF check-ups, antibiotics, etc. I have been declined by every carrier I have contacted so far. I am fortunate, however, to be receiving my Tobi, Pulmozyme, and Pancreas free of charge thanks to the CF Foundation.

Thank you.

Christin

caccomando

Hello

Thank you.

Christin

caccomando

Hello

Thank you.

Christin

caccomando

Hello
<br />
<br />I am 22 yrs and was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis at birth. I am fortunate to have a mild case and have been relatively healthy my entire life, with a few hiccups here and there.
<br />
<br />I am now a college graduate and looking to start my career. However, since I can no longer be on my father's insurance plan because I am not a full-time student, I am without health insurance until I find a full-time job with employee benefits.
<br />
<br />I am scared everyday that I wake up without health insurance, especially because this is the time of year that I generally get the most sick, due to allergies and CF.
<br />
<br />Is anyone in the same situation? If so, do you have any tips/advice on where to look for health insurance coverage for people with CF to cover CF check-ups, antibiotics, etc. I have been declined by every carrier I have contacted so far. I am fortunate, however, to be receiving my Tobi, Pulmozyme, and Pancreas free of charge thanks to the CF Foundation.
<br />
<br />I would appreciate any help on this matter.
<br />
<br />Thank you.
<br />
<br />Christin

Lance2020x

Hey Christin, I'm 23 with CF (from birth) and have been in similar situations. What state do you live in? Each state is different, but most have some kind of special help program. Since you're 22 it would probably be difficult to get on Medicare (I'm in TN and TennCare finally found a way to boot me off, they've been trying for years). I would start making phonecalls, start googling everywhere.
This is a good place to get info because there's a CFer from just about every state here (for instance I most likely about to relocate to California, and had never heard of GHPP but there are board members from CALI), but you have to understand that EACH state is different.
So... all that to say, lets start out with; Where are you currently living? Are you considering moving? Because if location doesn't matter there are certain states that are more helpful (I've heard that Wisconsin has incredible healthcare plans/benefits)

Lance2020x

Hey Christin, I'm 23 with CF (from birth) and have been in similar situations. What state do you live in? Each state is different, but most have some kind of special help program. Since you're 22 it would probably be difficult to get on Medicare (I'm in TN and TennCare finally found a way to boot me off, they've been trying for years). I would start making phonecalls, start googling everywhere.
This is a good place to get info because there's a CFer from just about every state here (for instance I most likely about to relocate to California, and had never heard of GHPP but there are board members from CALI), but you have to understand that EACH state is different.
So... all that to say, lets start out with; Where are you currently living? Are you considering moving? Because if location doesn't matter there are certain states that are more helpful (I've heard that Wisconsin has incredible healthcare plans/benefits)

Lance2020x

Lance2020x

Lance2020x

<br />This is a good place to get info because there's a CFer from just about every state here (for instance I most likely about to relocate to California, and had never heard of GHPP but there are board members from CALI), but you have to understand that EACH state is different.
<br />So... all that to say, lets start out with; Where are you currently living? Are you considering moving? Because if location doesn't matter there are certain states that are more helpful (I've heard that Wisconsin has incredible healthcare plans/benefits)

Sakem

Another good state I believe is Massachuettes.....they have a program called UMASS, where people w/o coverage can get on a states group policy, preexisting conditions do not exclude you. The price is based on your income...
I know at one time I had looked into some states prgrams that covered High risk pools, but nothing really popped out at me as being fantastic, or easy to qualify

Sakem

Another good state I believe is Massachuettes.....they have a program called UMASS, where people w/o coverage can get on a states group policy, preexisting conditions do not exclude you. The price is based on your income...
I know at one time I had looked into some states prgrams that covered High risk pools, but nothing really popped out at me as being fantastic, or easy to qualify

Sakem

Sakem

Sakem

<br />I know at one time I had looked into some states prgrams that covered High risk pools, but nothing really popped out at me as being fantastic, or easy to qualify

Lance2020x

Yeah that's the big buggering factor.. you're usually going to have jump through a carnival of circus hoops and waiting periods no matter where you end up...

Lance2020x

Yeah that's the big buggering factor.. you're usually going to have jump through a carnival of circus hoops and waiting periods no matter where you end up...

Lance2020x

Lance2020x

Lance2020x

<br />
<br />