I disagree

kitomd21

My husband was told at DD's last CF clinic that it's sufficient to sterilize neb parts one weekly. He said they looked at him with dismay when he told them we boil them before each use. Anyone else being given this information?<br>

kitomd21

My husband was told at DD's last CF clinic that it's sufficient to sterilize neb parts one weekly. He said they looked at him with dismay when he told them we boil them before each use. Anyone else being given this information?<br>

kitomd21

hmw

Oh my goodness, that is nuts!! Did the dr tell you that or one of the RT's? I'd print off some info that is published by the CFF itself and bring it to clinic to back up the need for sterilizing equipment.

When Emily was admitted the RT's were specifically instructed to provide fresh neb cups every single time Emily did vest/nebs- so obviously our team believes a fresh, sterile neb is vital every. single. time. ...they back up their instructions to us with action when the kids are in the hospital!

hmw

Oh my goodness, that is nuts!! Did the dr tell you that or one of the RT's? I'd print off some info that is published by the CFF itself and bring it to clinic to back up the need for sterilizing equipment.

When Emily was admitted the RT's were specifically instructed to provide fresh neb cups every single time Emily did vest/nebs- so obviously our team believes a fresh, sterile neb is vital every. single. time. ...they back up their instructions to us with action when the kids are in the hospital!

hmw

<br />
<br />When Emily was admitted the RT's were specifically instructed to provide fresh neb cups every single time Emily did vest/nebs- so obviously our team believes a fresh, sterile neb is vital every. single. time. ...they back up their instructions to us with action when the kids are in the hospital!

E

edan

It is my experience that many RTs don't really "get it" when it comes to sterilizing nebs for cf patients. We personally boil between each use. My doctor said there have been studies done and it takes 24 hours for pseudomonas to colonize. That is why our hospital will reuse throughout the day and then toss at the end of the night for their cf patients. I however consider it a small price to pay to boil between each use just so I have piece of mind that I haven't introduced any bacteria to her. We change the tubes a few times a week as well. The disposables are about $3 bucks a piece at nationalallergy.com.

E

edan

It is my experience that many RTs don't really "get it" when it comes to sterilizing nebs for cf patients. We personally boil between each use. My doctor said there have been studies done and it takes 24 hours for pseudomonas to colonize. That is why our hospital will reuse throughout the day and then toss at the end of the night for their cf patients. I however consider it a small price to pay to boil between each use just so I have piece of mind that I haven't introduced any bacteria to her. We change the tubes a few times a week as well. The disposables are about $3 bucks a piece at nationalallergy.com.

E

edan

kitomd21

I'm with you guys! Seemed nuts! Why risk it? In addition - why allow the nebs to sit out with whatever the CF individual cultures from breathing into the unit? Not sure if it amounts to potential reinocculation, but seriously - boil the nebs before each use. It's not saving that much time to leave this step out. Sheesh.

kitomd21

I'm with you guys! Seemed nuts! Why risk it? In addition - why allow the nebs to sit out with whatever the CF individual cultures from breathing into the unit? Not sure if it amounts to potential reinocculation, but seriously - boil the nebs before each use. It's not saving that much time to leave this step out. Sheesh.

kitomd21

D

Deb

For those that are boiling neb cups there is a great alternative. You can buy MEDELA quick clean bags that you use in the microwave. They are actually made for disinfecting breast pump parts. You can put several cups in the bag and it takes a minutes and 40 seconds. Bags can be used 20 times.
I buy them at a "baby store" but sometimes you can find them at Target stores in the baby aisle next to breast pumps, etc. Or if you can't find them you can order them on-line.

BTW, I always disinfect mine. My infectious disease doctor has even gone so far as to say that nebs are a huge source of infection and the less you do the better. Keeping cups disinfected and changing tubing often will help to some degree.

D

Deb

For those that are boiling neb cups there is a great alternative. You can buy MEDELA quick clean bags that you use in the microwave. They are actually made for disinfecting breast pump parts. You can put several cups in the bag and it takes a minutes and 40 seconds. Bags can be used 20 times.
I buy them at a "baby store" but sometimes you can find them at Target stores in the baby aisle next to breast pumps, etc. Or if you can't find them you can order them on-line.

BTW, I always disinfect mine. My infectious disease doctor has even gone so far as to say that nebs are a huge source of infection and the less you do the better. Keeping cups disinfected and changing tubing often will help to some degree.

D

Deb

<br />I buy them at a "baby store" but sometimes you can find them at Target stores in the baby aisle next to breast pumps, etc. Or if you can't find them you can order them on-line.
<br />
<br />BTW, I always disinfect mine. My infectious disease doctor has even gone so far as to say that nebs are a huge source of infection and the less you do the better. Keeping cups disinfected and changing tubing often will help to some degree.

beleache

I also disagree ...   I use one sterilized set per med per day..  Also the drs. at Denver National Jewish suggest changing the tubing every 2 wks .. which I think is overkill but they must have a reason & since they are the experts in Mycobacterium abbesses I try to change it as often as I remember lol  ..  

beleache

I also disagree ... I use one sterilized set per med per day.. Also the drs. at Denver National Jewish suggest changing the tubing every 2 wks .. which I think is overkill but they must have a reason & since they are the experts in Mycobacterium abbesses I try to change it as often as I remember lol ..

beleache

I also disagree ... I use one sterilized set per med per day.. Also the drs. at Denver National Jewish suggest changing the tubing every 2 wks .. which I think is overkill but they must have a reason & since they are the experts in Mycobacterium abbesses I try to change it as often as I remember lol ..

M

Markus

its funny that every time that I go into the hospital they just hand the cups over the 02 lever and leave it there for the whole time...They never even switched the cups for the different meds.

M

Markus

its funny that every time that I go into the hospital they just hand the cups over the 02 lever and leave it there for the whole time...They never even switched the cups for the different meds.