I have Cali GHPP and am now offered insurance thru job, do I have to take it?

erock77

Only relevant for Californians.
Since I've gone part time 2 years ago I wasn't qualified for the core private insurance plan they offer through my work and have used GHPP solely. I haven't had any issues recently with GHPP, only when transitioning, and they cover 100% of costs so I'm hesitant to take this other insurance. The private insurance has a $2600 deductible, which I'm pretty sure GHPP doesn't cover. So that's a loss. When I've used GHPP as a secondary insurance it always gets complicated with providers and who covers what. I recall someone (maybe a social worker) saying the rules are if you're offered private insurance, you have to take it. But in these days of Obamacare, isn't everyone eligible for private insurance?
Also, I feel guilty b/c I don't like being a drain on our wonderful state and having private insurance would save GHPP & the state about 70% of my healthcare costs. But is it worth $2600 and the inevitable time I'll be spending annoyed on the phone with insurances and providers?

Anybody have any insight on this?
Eric

ladybird

I have private insurance as well as GHPP and they work very well together. I never have copays for doctor visits or prescription drugs, however the only pharmacy that seems to be able to handle secondary insurance is CF Services, which suits me fine because then everything is mail order - no more milling around CVS waiting for a refill. Our private insurance has an annual deductible as well of a couple of thousand but GHPP in effect takes care of that as anything not covered by private insurance is paid for by secondary. If you attend a major CF Clinic they should be able to handle it.

Just do not change to an HMO or Kaiser as you will then be stuck with limited choice or with Kaiser. Kaiser is fine if you do not have any major issues but their CF center sucks.

Private insurance is helpful for stuff like therapy or acupuncture.