I need health insurance...

caccomando

Hello

I am 22 yrs and was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis at birth. I am fortunate to have a mild case and have been relatively healthy my entire life, with a few hiccups here and there.

I am now a college graduate and looking to start my career. However, since I can no longer be on my father's insurance plan because I am not a full-time student, I am without health insurance until I find a full-time job with employee benefits.

I am scared everyday that I wake up without health insurance, especially because this is the time of year that I generally get the most sick, due to allergies and CF.

Is anyone in the same situation? If so, do you have any tips/advice on where to look for health insurance coverage for people with CF to cover CF check-ups, antibiotics, etc. I have been declined by every carrier I have contacted so far. I am fortunate, however, to be receiving my Tobi, Pulmozyme, and Pancreas free of charge thanks to the CF Foundation.

I would appreciate any help on this matter.

Thank you.

Christin

Gnub

I am in the same boat as you are. After I graduated I was no longer on my dad's insurance. I'm still looking for a job that offers full benefits (which is getting harder since employers are beginning to drop coverage because of its expense). Insurers are just looking to fill their pockets, which is why they deny coverage, even if you are healthy (bitter irony considering there are people out there without CF or any pre-existing condition, yet are sicker than we are and get full coverage).

Your best, and probably only bet, is to get coverage through an employer (or Medicaid, which I don't use because you aren't guaranteed anything through them, and they are extremely limited). I know it doesn't sound like much advice, but unless someone has found another way, it is the only thing that I can offer. We really have to thank the assistance programs. I do not know where we would be right now if someone wasn't looking out for us.

26 years old

Landy

Yep, get a job with a good sized company that offers group health insurance. Unfortunately, even with a college degree, you sometimes have to start at the bottom.

No college degree here, but in more than one job I had to start as a receptionist & then work my way up. The important thing was that I was making OK money & had insurance.

melx

I totally agree with Landy. Large company vs small. I once had a full time position with a small company and every time I purchased pulmozyme the insurance had to get the approval from my employer. I never fully understood the concept or why that was done. It was crazy and sounded like a HIPPA violation to me. But with larger companies I never had issues. Anyway If needed: maybe two part time positions, where one offers benefits for part timers. There are some companies (though few) that will do this. Government positions also offer great benefits.

C

cfpatience

Hi. It would be a wonderful world if we could all find work that provides insurance and you never got laid off. But, that is not always the case.

In the state of Michigan, there is a program called "Childrens Special Helth" (previously known as "Crippled Childrens Health". It is run through Medicaide. It covers what your regular insurance won't cover but only for Cystic Fibrosis realted treatment and drugs. If you do not have other insurance it pays in full. The cost is based on income and if very affordable. I do not know if all states have this, but you can check with your local Health Department. Remember this program only covers CF related needs.

Good luck on your job search.

J

joseph_humphreys

Shop insurance policy online that fits your needs and budget! And try to talk with their insurance agent, and then inform them your health conditions.

running4life

You are eligible to stay on your parents insurance until you are 26 according to Obama care. I am turning 26 in March and I requested to be eligible to stay on my father's insurance for a life. It's some sort of disabled dependent form. Have your dad ask his HR people about it. It was extremely simple for me. My dad requested the one page form, my doctor answered a few questions, we mailed it off to United Healthcare and within a few weeks I have been approved to stay on my dad's insurance for all of 2013. I'm not sure if I will have to apply every year or what, but that is one less year of worrying about what to do.

By the way, my lung function is in the mid 80s as of now (hoping to see it higher soon). I have been hospitalized once for my CF earlier this year and don't work a regular 40 hour work week. I work about 25-32 hours as a nanny and another 5-15 as a personal assistant to my best friend. Neither job affords me health insurance but allows me the flexibility I need to work in breathing treatments, sick time, doctor's appointments, exercising, eating healthy, etc. I realize that I am very fortunate in my work, but check out that form from your parent's insurance company. It has reduced a lot of stress on me and perhaps you can find a job where you work less or more flexible hours if you aren't so concerned with health insurance.