I need someone with CF to talk to Please

zander152

I realize that we all might not have cf on here but I do and I could use some time to talk to another cf person, preferably older than I so I can bounce questions off them, and get a better grasp of the disease that has a horrible grasp on me. This disease has tested my patients, and sanity. In the last 2 weeks I have been diagnosed with Burkholderia Cepecia and now yesterday MRSA. I am wondering how bad this is? Am I over reacting by being scared? Do I need to wear a mask in public from now on? Can I pass this to my daughter who has asthma, how about her father that also has asthma... and if I do will it affect them negativly or will it do like it does to most normal people and just lye dormant?...please someone help me understand this.
Thanks Josh Benjamin

zander152

I realize that we all might not have cf on here but I do and I could use some time to talk to another cf person, preferably older than I so I can bounce questions off them, and get a better grasp of the disease that has a horrible grasp on me. This disease has tested my patients, and sanity. In the last 2 weeks I have been diagnosed with Burkholderia Cepecia and now yesterday MRSA. I am wondering how bad this is? Am I over reacting by being scared? Do I need to wear a mask in public from now on? Can I pass this to my daughter who has asthma, how about her father that also has asthma... and if I do will it affect them negativly or will it do like it does to most normal people and just lye dormant?...please someone help me understand this.
Thanks Josh Benjamin

zander152

Thanks Josh Benjamin

zander152

Thanks Josh Benjamin

zander152

<br />Thanks Josh Benjamin

stillkicking

Hey sorry you're going through such a tough time. I don't have B. Cepacia, that I'm aware of, I haven't done a culture in over 2 yrs. All my cultures before then were resistant to antibiotics and nothing has helped me since that time, so now I'm in an ignorance is bliss mode. Just wanted you to know you're not alone. I can't really answer your questions, but I don't think your over-reacting. Both bugs are bad. It doesn't mean the end of the world, by any means, but it can increase the difficulty level. I would definitely ask your doctor on the mask or risk of transferring it to your daughter or others with respiratory issues. The only cases of cross infection that I've heard of are between CF patients. But better safe than sorry. Hope things improve for you and that someone with more experience in your particular area responds.

stillkicking

Hey sorry you're going through such a tough time. I don't have B. Cepacia, that I'm aware of, I haven't done a culture in over 2 yrs. All my cultures before then were resistant to antibiotics and nothing has helped me since that time, so now I'm in an ignorance is bliss mode. Just wanted you to know you're not alone. I can't really answer your questions, but I don't think your over-reacting. Both bugs are bad. It doesn't mean the end of the world, by any means, but it can increase the difficulty level. I would definitely ask your doctor on the mask or risk of transferring it to your daughter or others with respiratory issues. The only cases of cross infection that I've heard of are between CF patients. But better safe than sorry. Hope things improve for you and that someone with more experience in your particular area responds.

stillkicking

stillkicking

stillkicking

CFkitty

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>zander152</b></i>

Thanks Josh Benjamin</end quote></div>

Please talk to your CF doctor about cross infection and the implication of your new colonizations on your lungs. Every person is different. It does suck to find out you've colonized something new, especially the "scarier" bugs, so I can empathize with you. I have cultured MRSA once and in subsequent cultures, it hasn't shown up. It's frustrating because medicine isn't black and white, but on the same vein, it's reassuring that even though others may have had poor outcomes, others have not.

Good luck!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>stillkicking</b></i>

Hey sorry you're going through such a tough time. I don't have B. Cepacia, that I'm aware of, I haven't done a culture in over 2 yrs. All my cultures before then were resistant to antibiotics and nothing has helped me since that time, so now I'm in an ignorance is bliss mode. Just wanted you to know you're not alone. I can't really answer your questions, but I don't think your over-reacting. Both bugs are bad. It doesn't mean the end of the world, by any means, but it can increase the difficulty level. I would definitely ask your doctor on the mask or risk of transferring it to your daughter or others with respiratory issues. The only cases of cross infection that I've heard of are between CF patients. But better safe than sorry. Hope things improve for you and that someone with more experience in your particular area responds.</end quote></div>

Sorry to go off-topic, but you do know that bugs that were previously resistant to antibiotics can become sensitive again. Sometimes, bugs will disappear altogether, and you can acquire new ones.

This is only my opinion, but I think that you should reconsider not getting cultured. Things can change. I have had bugs be resistant to a certain med, and after months of not using the med, it became sensitive again.

My doctor does a culture whenever I have an exacerbation, which is necessary because all three strains of PA have differing sensitivities and resistance. We want to make sure that we are treating the right bugs.

I am not sure what stage of lung disease you are in, but as you said - "better safe than sorry".

CFkitty

Please talk to your CF doctor about cross infection and the implication of your new colonizations on your lungs. Every person is different. It does suck to find out you've colonized something new, especially the "scarier" bugs, so I can empathize with you. I have cultured MRSA once and in subsequent cultures, it hasn't shown up. It's frustrating because medicine isn't black and white, but on the same vein, it's reassuring that even though others may have had poor outcomes, others have not.

Good luck!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>stillkicking</b></i>

Hey sorry you're going through such a tough time. I don't have B. Cepacia, that I'm aware of, I haven't done a culture in over 2 yrs. All my cultures before then were resistant to antibiotics and nothing has helped me since that time, so now I'm in an ignorance is bliss mode. Just wanted you to know you're not alone. I can't really answer your questions, but I don't think your over-reacting. Both bugs are bad. It doesn't mean the end of the world, by any means, but it can increase the difficulty level. I would definitely ask your doctor on the mask or risk of transferring it to your daughter or others with respiratory issues. The only cases of cross infection that I've heard of are between CF patients. But better safe than sorry. Hope things improve for you and that someone with more experience in your particular area responds.</end quote></div>

Sorry to go off-topic, but you do know that bugs that were previously resistant to antibiotics can become sensitive again. Sometimes, bugs will disappear altogether, and you can acquire new ones.

This is only my opinion, but I think that you should reconsider not getting cultured. Things can change. I have had bugs be resistant to a certain med, and after months of not using the med, it became sensitive again.

My doctor does a culture whenever I have an exacerbation, which is necessary because all three strains of PA have differing sensitivities and resistance. We want to make sure that we are treating the right bugs.

I am not sure what stage of lung disease you are in, but as you said - "better safe than sorry".

CFkitty

Good luck!

CFkitty

Thanks Josh Benjamin</end quote>

Good luck!

Hey sorry you're going through such a tough time. I don't have B. Cepacia, that I'm aware of, I haven't done a culture in over 2 yrs. All my cultures before then were resistant to antibiotics and nothing has helped me since that time, so now I'm in an ignorance is bliss mode. Just wanted you to know you're not alone. I can't really answer your questions, but I don't think your over-reacting. Both bugs are bad. It doesn't mean the end of the world, by any means, but it can increase the difficulty level. I would definitely ask your doctor on the mask or risk of transferring it to your daughter or others with respiratory issues. The only cases of cross infection that I've heard of are between CF patients. But better safe than sorry. Hope things improve for you and that someone with more experience in your particular area responds.</end quote>

CFkitty

<br />
<br />I realize that we all might not have cf on here but I do and I could use some time to talk to another cf person, preferably older than I so I can bounce questions off them, and get a better grasp of the disease that has a horrible grasp on me. This disease has tested my patients, and sanity. In the last 2 weeks I have been diagnosed with Burkholderia Cepecia and now yesterday MRSA. I am wondering how bad this is? Am I over reacting by being scared? Do I need to wear a mask in public from now on? Can I pass this to my daughter who has asthma, how about her father that also has asthma... and if I do will it affect them negativly or will it do like it does to most normal people and just lye dormant?...please someone help me understand this.
<br />
<br />Thanks Josh Benjamin</end quote>
<br />
<br />Please talk to your CF doctor about cross infection and the implication of your new colonizations on your lungs. Every person is different. It does suck to find out you've colonized something new, especially the "scarier" bugs, so I can empathize with you. I have cultured MRSA once and in subsequent cultures, it hasn't shown up. It's frustrating because medicine isn't black and white, but on the same vein, it's reassuring that even though others may have had poor outcomes, others have not.
<br />
<br />Good luck!
<br />
<br />
<br /><div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>stillkicking</b></i>
<br />
<br />Hey sorry you're going through such a tough time. I don't have B. Cepacia, that I'm aware of, I haven't done a culture in over 2 yrs. All my cultures before then were resistant to antibiotics and nothing has helped me since that time, so now I'm in an ignorance is bliss mode. Just wanted you to know you're not alone. I can't really answer your questions, but I don't think your over-reacting. Both bugs are bad. It doesn't mean the end of the world, by any means, but it can increase the difficulty level. I would definitely ask your doctor on the mask or risk of transferring it to your daughter or others with respiratory issues. The only cases of cross infection that I've heard of are between CF patients. But better safe than sorry. Hope things improve for you and that someone with more experience in your particular area responds.</end quote>
<br />
<br />Sorry to go off-topic, but you do know that bugs that were previously resistant to antibiotics can become sensitive again. Sometimes, bugs will disappear altogether, and you can acquire new ones.
<br />
<br />This is only my opinion, but I think that you should reconsider not getting cultured. Things can change. I have had bugs be resistant to a certain med, and after months of not using the med, it became sensitive again.
<br />
<br />My doctor does a culture whenever I have an exacerbation, which is necessary because all three strains of PA have differing sensitivities and resistance. We want to make sure that we are treating the right bugs.
<br />
<br />I am not sure what stage of lung disease you are in, but as you said - "better safe than sorry".

Jbenjamin152

Thank you for your advice...I believe that you are correct...partialy I believe that if the bug you are fighting is not using the antibiotic u are resistant to those that are resistant to that antibiotic try to mutate and become resistant to the new drug, but by the time they are reproducing more bugs that are able to be resistant they are killed off...and the hacked up and spit out in a speciman cup...lol I was wondering if you think that another option is that the resistant bugs/mucus, gets covered over by another newer layer of mucus making what are called plugs eventually. If you disagree then please explain this problem that effects most of us and I am not sure wether I have had one. I believe that I have, but I am not sure because I have never coughed up a "hard" ball or cylander like item. I have however coughed for minutes and minutes (5-10) and a time and the result is either a very thick "stick ur shingles back on ur rough" sputum. I believe that I have a moderate case...not mild, and not extreme either. I work hard to get the sputum up.
Thanks for all the help.

Jbenjamin152

Thank you for your advice...I believe that you are correct...partialy I believe that if the bug you are fighting is not using the antibiotic u are resistant to those that are resistant to that antibiotic try to mutate and become resistant to the new drug, but by the time they are reproducing more bugs that are able to be resistant they are killed off...and the hacked up and spit out in a speciman cup...lol I was wondering if you think that another option is that the resistant bugs/mucus, gets covered over by another newer layer of mucus making what are called plugs eventually. If you disagree then please explain this problem that effects most of us and I am not sure wether I have had one. I believe that I have, but I am not sure because I have never coughed up a "hard" ball or cylander like item. I have however coughed for minutes and minutes (5-10) and a time and the result is either a very thick "stick ur shingles back on ur rough" sputum. I believe that I have a moderate case...not mild, and not extreme either. I work hard to get the sputum up.
Thanks for all the help.

Jbenjamin152

Thanks for all the help.

Jbenjamin152

Thanks for all the help.

Jbenjamin152

<br />Thanks for all the help.