I smoked cigs and marijuana, how will this effect my lungs?

Enzo2311

So I haven't seen my CF doctors in a full year (a little longer actually). And in that year, a lot happened.

About a year ago (a little less), I went through a phase where I smoked cigs. I smoked about a pack every 1-2 weeks, or around 2-3 cigs a day. I know it was stupid.

I also smoked medical cannabis for around combined 8 months. I officially stopped smoking it 3 weeks ago. About a month and a half ago, i started using strictly edibles, but due to how expensive they are, i couldn't afford it, so i smoked it for another 2 weeks, then stopped. Then thats when I got my vaporizer. I hope thats not confusing (hopefully this will help. I started using medical marijuana in May, i smoked it up until November, which is when I started using something called concentrates. In december, I started using ONLY edibles, then, beginning of january, i couldn't afford to get anymore, so i smoked from around jan 4-jan24. Then, I didn't use cannabis for a week and a half, and on January 30th I received my vaporizer in the mail. since then, i haven't smoked)

Now, I don't smoke it. I vaporize it.

The main reason why I didn't vaporize early on is because I couldn't afford it. The machine I got (cheapest high quality vaporizer, ariser extreme q) was $150. I wanted to vaporize the whole time and i hated smoking it, its just that money was an issue.

So how will these effect my lungs and FEV test?

I want to note. Within the last 4 months, i have become very health conscience. Ive done a lot of research regarding vaporizing marijuana.

Vaporizing marijuana does not mean I'm smoking it.

Vaporizing heats the cannabinoids (active ingredients) in marijuana to a specific temperature range. It heats it to the point to where the cannabinoids begin to boil from the plant, making it an actual vapor. Vaporizing avoids combustion, which is what is harmful. Marijuana in of itself isn't unhealthy, but when its burnt, it releases a ton of toxic chemicals and tar (ie. benzenes). There are different levels of vapor, and for me, I try to keep on the lower-medium spectrum of vapor, not where its super thick but not like I'm breathing in air (i use it via a balloon, not a pipe, or a hookah whip, or anything. its a medical grade balloon). When you take the cannabis out of the little chamber its kept it. Its not grey, its not black. Its a tobacco brown. Tobacco brown = Vaporized. Black, ashy, grey, etc. = Combustion = smoke = unhealthy.

When I tell my CF doctors that i have a medical marijuana card, what do you think theyre response will be?

the primary reason why I use it is for appetite, but it also helps with my anxiety and joint pain. Both of which is noted by my primary care physician. And both of which have designated prescriptions (Naproxen 500MG; Xanax/Valium). Cannabis has effectively replaced xanax and naproxen and my sleeping pills. But I always find it useful to keep them around, as they are legal to carry across states, where cannabis isn't. Also, those medications are great for when I don't want to be intoxicated (xanax has little effect on me, I am able to carry on my day perfectly when i take it).

I also want to add, that since the month of November, Ive been going to the gym avidly 2-3x a week. Primarily weight lifting. I also have a very strenuous job as a courtesy clerk, and I walk on average about 3 miles before i go to the gym, and there is a ton of lifting, pushing, walking, running, etc. associated with my job. all while going to the gym 2-3x a week. I weigh approx 156 lb. and 5 ft 10 in

ethan508

For me, my lungs are fairly sensitive and CF makes them somewhat fragile and inflamed. Therefore I try to avoid breathing anything into them that isn't directly proven to help them fight the disease (not always possible as particulates are everywhere).

You could alway schedule a PFT and see where you are at, then don't vape or smoke for 3 month and do a PFT again. See where you're at. Then if you decide to, vape for 3 more months and get another PFT. Then you will have nice hard data points to know how your lungs behave with your new drug regimen.

But really this seems like a conversation you should have with your CF doctor as your primary care Dr might not know all the ins and outs of CF care. (I'm not award of any studies involving CF and cannabinoids). The doctor might lecture you a bit but for my doctors the lectures usually are more education than guilt. At least you will come away better understanding the risks/rewards of your habit.

kmhbeauty

So I haven't seen my CF doctors in a full year (a little longer actually). And in that year, a lot happened.

About a year ago (a little less), I went through a phase where I smoked cigs. I smoked about a pack every 1-2 weeks, or around 2-3 cigs a day. I know it was stupid.

I also smoked medical cannabis for around combined 8 months. I officially stopped smoking it 3 weeks ago. About a month and a half ago, i started using strictly edibles, but due to how expensive they are, i couldn't afford it, so i smoked it for another 2 weeks, then stopped. Then thats when I got my vaporizer. I hope thats not confusing (hopefully this will help. I started using medical marijuana in May, i smoked it up until November, which is when I started using something called concentrates. In december, I started using ONLY edibles, then, beginning of january, i couldn't afford to get anymore, so i smoked from around jan 4-jan24. Then, I didn't use cannabis for a week and a half, and on January 30th I received my vaporizer in the mail. since then, i haven't smoked)

Now, I don't smoke it. I vaporize it.

The main reason why I didn't vaporize early on is because I couldn't afford it. The machine I got (cheapest high quality vaporizer, ariser extreme q) was $150. I wanted to vaporize the whole time and i hated smoking it, its just that money was an issue.

So how will these effect my lungs and FEV test?

I want to note. Within the last 4 months, i have become very health conscience. Ive done a lot of research regarding vaporizing marijuana.

Vaporizing marijuana does not mean I'm smoking it.

Vaporizing heats the cannabinoids (active ingredients) in marijuana to a specific temperature range. It heats it to the point to where the cannabinoids begin to boil from the plant, making it an actual vapor. Vaporizing avoids combustion, which is what is harmful. Marijuana in of itself isn't unhealthy, but when its burnt, it releases a ton of toxic chemicals and tar (ie. benzenes). There are different levels of vapor, and for me, I try to keep on the lower-medium spectrum of vapor, not where its super thick but not like I'm breathing in air (i use it via a balloon, not a pipe, or a hookah whip, or anything. its a medical grade balloon). When you take the cannabis out of the little chamber its kept it. Its not grey, its not black. Its a tobacco brown. Tobacco brown = Vaporized. Black, ashy, grey, etc. = Combustion = smoke = unhealthy.

When I tell my CF doctors that i have a medical marijuana card, what do you think theyre response will be?

the primary reason why I use it is for appetite, but it also helps with my anxiety and joint pain. Both of which is noted by my primary care physician. And both of which have designated prescriptions (Naproxen 500MG; Xanax/Valium). Cannabis has effectively replaced xanax and naproxen and my sleeping pills. But I always find it useful to keep them around, as they are legal to carry across states, where cannabis isn't. Also, those medications are great for when I don't want to be intoxicated (xanax has little effect on me, I am able to carry on my day perfectly when i take it).

I also want to add, that since the month of November, Ive been going to the gym avidly 2-3x a week. Primarily weight lifting. I also have a very strenuous job as a courtesy clerk, and I walk on average about 3 miles before i go to the gym, and there is a ton of lifting, pushing, walking, running, etc. associated with my job. all while going to the gym 2-3x a week. I weigh approx 156 lb. and 5 ft 10 in

How old are you because when I was in my early 20s. I could smoke and it would effect my lungs at all. I didn't smoke though but I did drink a good amount of alcohol. Now I'm 29, and I cough up a lot of blood. I still love a normal life with no CF medication. I think if you smoke, CF will catch up with you. If you are in your early 20s just know, you may be doing damage that will hit you in 5 years. As a child, I never even cought, never sick, nothing. When I was 20 years old, I tried to "fail" a pft test and still scored in the 90s. I'm not sick, being 29 now, but it has caught up to me a little. My pfts are 79 percent buy again, I cough up a lot of blood. I wouldn't smoke if I were you, but it's your choice. I use to hate when people told me I was making mistakes. Its your body, your choice. I live an all natural life with exerice and healthy eating that many won't agree with but cf meds Dont help me.

nocode

Hi there,
I know you don't want to hear this but smoking will always put you at a disadvantage regarding CF. If not now, then later. I'm not sure about vaporizing it but I know it is a lot less harmful than normal smoking. I'd still be reluctant to vaporize.

However, as a person who enjoys marijuana myself, my best tip for you is to eat it. I buy my hash normally and then dissolve it in some milk and water for about 20 minutes on the stove and it's ready to drink. Mind you I live in a country where buying cannabis is legal (Netherlands). My doctors are aware that I occasionally indulge. The benefits are noticeable for me: appetite increase and it helps me clear my mucus better (it acts as an expectorant). I am pretty sure CFers in general could benefit from cannabis (edibles) for these reasons and it will probably be recommended in the future, when marijuana is more generally accepted.

And as you already know, cigarettes are pretty bad and you should stay away from them if you want to protect your lungs. You don't need this to be cool ;)

All the best.