I want kids and I'm 18

Enzo2311

I go through these "I want a kid" obsessions every now and then. But I was reading that CF Males may not be able to make a baby, why is this? What makes cf males unable to make a baby? What are the chances of my kid having cf if my wife does and does not carry the gene (both situations)?

Melissa75

Administrator
http://www.howcast.com/videos/3043-How-to-Do-Better-Google-Searches

malformed vas deferens, which is the tube that carries sperm from the testis to the *****
50% if wife is carrier
0% if wife is NOT a carrier

edited to add: I don't intend for that link to come across as snarky. I really think it could help you. Consider the proverb:
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
(It is more worthwhile to teach someone to do something than to do it for them.)

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Don't assume you're infertile just ask "guywithcf". Infertility in men due to CF it could be structural like incomplete vas deferens where sperm cannot join with seminal fluid. This means your ejaculate has no sperm hence no little Enzo's. Your sperm quality, quantity and your seminal fluid carrying your sperm should be looked at by a urologist when you're considering children, or now if you wish to know.

You have the same potential for IVF taking sperm from your testes just as eggs are removed for fertilization and implanting in the uterus. All this means that you have a good chance of fathering a child someday. A lot of science is descending on reproductive health care and like your genetic testing, if you and your future wife wish, she can have the same genetic test. With luck, any children can be CF free.

LL

becabee

You can get a test to see if your Vas deferens is there or possibly blocked. Just please don't just go out and have a child on a whim. You need to make sure that whoever you have a child with does not carry the CF gene. Knowingly having a child that could have CF is careless and irresponsible.

anien2

You can get a test to see if your Vas deferens is there or possibly blocked. Just please don't just go out and have a child on a whim. You need to make sure that whoever you have a child with does not carry the CF gene. Knowingly having a child that could have CF is careless and irresponsible.

If your Vas deferens is blocked (most probabbly) you wont be able to fertilize a woman naturally. But it doesnt matter, you can be a father as well. I know two cases of adult, responsible and independent male CFRS, not 18 yo kids, that are parents. All you have to do is go to a fertility center and get your sperm taken directly from the testicles. It is not confortable but if you want it you will have it.

Of course, once you find the right woman, before you start doing anything to become a father make her take the cf test to make sure she is not a carrier.

rmotion

If you are 18, what is the hurry, get your life together before you have the responsibility of a kid. Can you afford your care plus a kid? Dont let your ego get in the way of making good decisions. Think of the well being of the child before your own knee jerk reaction. I want a kid is a big self question. Why what is going on in your life you feel you need this and is that a right decision for you at this time. Be smart

Enzo2311

If your Vas deferens is blocked (most probabbly) you wont be able to fertilize a woman naturally. But it doesnt matter, you can be a father as well. I know two cases of adult, responsible and independent male CFRS, not 18 yo kids, that are parents. All you have to do is go to a fertility center and get your sperm taken directly from the testicles. It is not confortable but if you want it you will have it.

Of course, once you find the right woman, before you start doing anything to become a father make her take the cf test to make sure she is not a carrier.

whys it not comfortable, what do they do? Can't they put you to sleep and how much does it cost?

anien2

whys it not comfortable, what do they do? Can't they put you to sleep and how much does it cost?

What they do is literally cut a little piece of one of your testicles and get the sperm out of it to make an in vitro fecundation, just like they do with vasectomized men who want to have kids.

Of course they put you to sleep, but once the anesthesia is gone the pain remains for a while. How much does it cost? no idea, but it doesnt look cheap.

Anyways, being 18 it doesnt look like it is time to worry about this issue. Just keep in mind that if you want to have kids IN THE FUTURE, you will be able to have them.

Katie Low

Becabee- Please- don't judge, I believe it is a personal decision to make, and a difficult one. My parents had me without knowing and I have CF, but then knew the risks to have my brother, and while he doesn't have CF, he very well could have.

julie

The men with cf who are infertile don't have "blocked" vas deferen's. They have ABSENT vas deferens. It's called Congenital bilateral absence of the Vas Deferens (CBAVD) and it occurs in roughly 95-98% of CF males, but not all.

There is hope, IVF with ICSI is an option. I did that 9 years ago and now have 8 year old triplets. I used to have a website about it, here is the website archive, it's not currently hosted. https://web.archive.org/web/20140113125355/http://cysticfibrosismaleinfertility.com/

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Julie,
I don't think that is right. Our CF doctor told us that ddf508 did not cause an absence of vas deferens, but rather blockage and 50% of CFers have ddf508. I pulled out the Cystic Fibrosis Guide for Patient and Family and it states that "an UNCOMMON form of male infertility" is called congenital bilateral absence of the vas deferens" and it lists the genes that are associated with CBAVD. (See page 225). And later it notes that 98% of men with CF have a blocked (or even absent) vas deferens. So the 98% is blocked and absent and from the earlier quote it appears the absence is uncommon. Now, to me, why this would matter is that with the drugs that are fixing the function of the CFTR gene, those with a vas deferens could well grow up to be fertile if the vas deferens is no longer blocked with sticky mucus.