If you or your child needed a G-tube, what was a bigger factor: BMI or the growth chart?

hmw

If you or your child needed a G-tube, what was a bigger factor: BMI or the growth chart?

Back in March, Emily achieved weight of 47lbs and reached the 30% for BMI for the first time ever. She got sick the following month, lost 5lbs and her BMI plummeted all the way to the 6th%. Over the course of the last 6mo her BMI has crept back up to the 30% range but she's still way down there on the growth charts. I wish she was up higher to give her that cushion when she gets sick & loses weight. If she was at the 50% for her age on the growth charts, she'd be well over 10lbs heavier and 3" taller. It's almost impossible to picture her that big although she was over the 50% as a baby and toddler!

We add extra butter to lots of things, half and half to her instant breakfast... she's discovered cream cheese in a big way and wants lots of snacks... I try to sneak in calories in other ways. We did a calorie study with the nutritionist not long ago and she agreed we were doing well, but I don't count every day. We run into trouble with her filling up too fast if I make her food too rich; sometimes she'll eat more of the 'lighter' foods than she will the high-cal stuff so I am always experimenting to see what will work.

hmw

Back in March, Emily achieved weight of 47lbs and reached the 30% for BMI for the first time ever. She got sick the following month, lost 5lbs and her BMI plummeted all the way to the 6th%. Over the course of the last 6mo her BMI has crept back up to the 30% range but she's still way down there on the growth charts. I wish she was up higher to give her that cushion when she gets sick & loses weight. If she was at the 50% for her age on the growth charts, she'd be well over 10lbs heavier and 3" taller. It's almost impossible to picture her that big although she was over the 50% as a baby and toddler!

We add extra butter to lots of things, half and half to her instant breakfast... she's discovered cream cheese in a big way and wants lots of snacks... I try to sneak in calories in other ways. We did a calorie study with the nutritionist not long ago and she agreed we were doing well, but I don't count every day. We run into trouble with her filling up too fast if I make her food too rich; sometimes she'll eat more of the 'lighter' foods than she will the high-cal stuff so I am always experimenting to see what will work.

hmw

hmw

hmw

<br />
<br />We add extra butter to lots of things, half and half to her instant breakfast... she's discovered cream cheese in a big way and wants lots of snacks... I try to sneak in calories in other ways. We did a calorie study with the nutritionist not long ago and she agreed we were doing well, but I don't count every day. We run into trouble with her filling up too fast if I make her food too rich; sometimes she'll eat more of the 'lighter' foods than she will the high-cal stuff so I am always experimenting to see what will work.