IM DESIGNING A NEW VEST..>>>> need to know what people like nad dislike about current vest :)

CarolynnS

IM DESIGNING A NEW VEST..>>>> need to know what people like nad dislike about current vest :)

Hi, my name is carolynn i am an Industrial Design student from milwaukee WI. I do not have CF but my Boyfreind and his brother both do. For my Senior Thesis i am redesigning "the vest".

I was wondering if people could tell me the problems they have occured with thier vest or any respritory therapy at all... or have seen with thier family memebers.

What do you like about the vest you have,
Which vest and other theropys do you use.
Is it hard for you to use..
Where in the house do you do the therapy.
Do you travel with the vest? Is it difficult?
Do you find it effective?
Dose it hurt to bad?
Dose your medi-port get in the way.
If you are female dose it hurt the breast area?
Dose it ride up?
Is it not vibrating enough on places you need it to?
Dose it work for you?

Any thing anyone can tell me will be most helpful and greatly appreiciated. I know thier are many individual proplems with current models and i would like to attend to those. I will keep every updated on the progress made on my design Hopefully it will be th next best thing hehe.... THANK YOU

god bless ,

Carolynn

CarolynnS

Hi, my name is carolynn i am an Industrial Design student from milwaukee WI. I do not have CF but my Boyfreind and his brother both do. For my Senior Thesis i am redesigning "the vest".

I was wondering if people could tell me the problems they have occured with thier vest or any respritory therapy at all... or have seen with thier family memebers.

Is it hard for you to use..
Where in the house do you do the therapy.
Do you travel with the vest? Is it difficult?
Do you find it effective?
Dose it hurt to bad?
Dose it ride up?
Is it not vibrating enough on places you need it to?
Dose it work for you?

Any thing anyone can tell me will be most helpful and greatly appreiciated. I know thier are many individual proplems with current models and i would like to attend to those. I will keep every updated on the progress made on my design Hopefully it will be th next best thing hehe.... THANK YOU

god bless ,

Carolynn

anonymous

RE:IM DESIGNING A NEW VEST..>>>> need to know what people like nad dislike about current vest :)

I really like my vest. I have the 104 model.

Things I like:
small
pretty quiet
fairy light to carry from one room to another
seems to help my lungs
not painful to me.

Don't like:
MUCH too heavy and bulky for carry-on on a plane... there HAS to be a better way!
still makes some noise especially on hard floors... I have to use a pillow.
nowhere to put the tubing other than lay it on the floor or table, etc. when not in use... would be nice to have a "compartment" to store them in on the vest.
have to change the frequency on my own... would be nice if you could set it to change every so many minutes.
WAY too expensive!!!
Insurance doesn't cover upgrades very often. URGH!

Sonia

anonymous

RE:IM DESIGNING A NEW VEST..>>>> need to know what people like nad dislike about current vest :)

I really like my vest. I have the 104 model.

Things I like:
small
pretty quiet
fairy light to carry from one room to another
seems to help my lungs
not painful to me.

Don't like:
MUCH too heavy and bulky for carry-on on a plane... there HAS to be a better way!
still makes some noise especially on hard floors... I have to use a pillow.
nowhere to put the tubing other than lay it on the floor or table, etc. when not in use... would be nice to have a "compartment" to store them in on the vest.
have to change the frequency on my own... would be nice if you could set it to change every so many minutes.
WAY too expensive!!!
Insurance doesn't cover upgrades very often. URGH!

Sonia

proverbs3

RE: IM DESIGNING A NEW VEST..>>>> need to know what people like nad dislike about current vest :)

My 10 year old daughter just received one a few months ago and we like it very much. Since we are newly diagnosed the drs only want us to use it once a day. Sometimes we use it twice because of after school activities. I REALLY wish the bag had wheels. It's very heavy to carry from the car into the school and set everything up. I agree with Sonia, the tubing needs to be stored easily somewhere. I don't want to have to pack it all away just for it to be unpacked less than 12 - 24 hours away.

Carol

proverbs3

RE: IM DESIGNING A NEW VEST..>>>> need to know what people like nad dislike about current vest :)

My 10 year old daughter just received one a few months ago and we like it very much. Since we are newly diagnosed the drs only want us to use it once a day. Sometimes we use it twice because of after school activities. I REALLY wish the bag had wheels. It's very heavy to carry from the car into the school and set everything up. I agree with Sonia, the tubing needs to be stored easily somewhere. I don't want to have to pack it all away just for it to be unpacked less than 12 - 24 hours away.

Carol

jayteeny

I have the new model, 104 I think. I like the fact that it is portable, but it is very heavy. The bag they sent it with is NOT effective for carrying, espeically, if you keep in mind, that the person who would most likely be hauling it around has CF or another pulmonary disease in which he or she probably would have a hard time lugging around something heavy on his or her shoulder. I use a modified Minnesota protocol where I do 5 minutes at each frequency/power: 6/10, 8/10, 10/10, 12/6, 14/6, 16/6. I do my vest treatments along with nebulized hypertonic saline, pulmozyme and Tobi. Although it is very effective, it is LOUD at high frequencies. It doesn't hurt to use it can be a pain when it comes to time (30 minute treatments 3 times a day). I have a newer version of the actual vest as well called the chest vest, which doesn't jostle your stomach and intestines so much, so I can eat a half hour before I do it and not feel sick. It does, however, ride up a lot and I have to adjust it a few times per treatment. Another flaw in the actual vest is that the velcro doesn't stick to itself nearly as good as it sticks to your hair(ouch!). It comes undone at least twice a treatment and I find that to be inadequate. I know the old vests had clips, which don't come undone, but they are less forgiving. The tubes are also poor quality. I travel with mine a lot and, thusly, roll my tubes up after use and put them away. One the tube actually came unraveled! The plastic at the base broke and began to unravel as wound it up. They sent me new ones gratis but I was still annoyed because I couldn't use it for a couple days. I think another area they should consider having air moving is across the back, as it is in the front. It would vibrate more of the lung area and be more effective. (I don't know whether this is possible). All in all, I'm very glad I got my vest, it's very effective, but there can still be improvements made.

Good luck with your modifications!

-Justine

jayteeny

I have the new model, 104 I think. I like the fact that it is portable, but it is very heavy. The bag they sent it with is NOT effective for carrying, espeically, if you keep in mind, that the person who would most likely be hauling it around has CF or another pulmonary disease in which he or she probably would have a hard time lugging around something heavy on his or her shoulder. I use a modified Minnesota protocol where I do 5 minutes at each frequency/power: 6/10, 8/10, 10/10, 12/6, 14/6, 16/6. I do my vest treatments along with nebulized hypertonic saline, pulmozyme and Tobi. Although it is very effective, it is LOUD at high frequencies. It doesn't hurt to use it can be a pain when it comes to time (30 minute treatments 3 times a day). I have a newer version of the actual vest as well called the chest vest, which doesn't jostle your stomach and intestines so much, so I can eat a half hour before I do it and not feel sick. It does, however, ride up a lot and I have to adjust it a few times per treatment. Another flaw in the actual vest is that the velcro doesn't stick to itself nearly as good as it sticks to your hair(ouch!). It comes undone at least twice a treatment and I find that to be inadequate. I know the old vests had clips, which don't come undone, but they are less forgiving. The tubes are also poor quality. I travel with mine a lot and, thusly, roll my tubes up after use and put them away. One the tube actually came unraveled! The plastic at the base broke and began to unravel as wound it up. They sent me new ones gratis but I was still annoyed because I couldn't use it for a couple days. I think another area they should consider having air moving is across the back, as it is in the front. It would vibrate more of the lung area and be more effective. (I don't know whether this is possible). All in all, I'm very glad I got my vest, it's very effective, but there can still be improvements made.

Good luck with your modifications!

-Justine

karon72

The wheel idea is great...just like a carryone suitcase. My biggest complaint is the the storage. We have a nice bag, but it is just something else to put away. Our tubes pop out a lot. I think it would be nice to have retractable tubes - like the cord on some irons???

karon72

The wheel idea is great...just like a carryone suitcase. My biggest complaint is the the storage. We have a nice bag, but it is just something else to put away. Our tubes pop out a lot. I think it would be nice to have retractable tubes - like the cord on some irons???

65rosessamurai

I don't have one, but after hearing how much they cost, how about a design that's more cost efficient (as well)??

65rosessamurai

I don't have one, but after hearing how much they cost, how about a design that's more cost efficient (as well)??

anonymous

I wish it would get to my upper lungs more. It is great around the rib cage but the uper chest feels like it was neglected so I end up doing other stuff to work up there.

Katie

anonymous

Is it hard for you to use..--<u>Not hard to use only hard to travel with and transport.</u>
Where in the house do you do the therapy.-----bedroom
Do you travel with the vest? Is it difficult?----very difficult but I do.
Do you find it effective?----I think it could be better.
Dose it hurt to bad?----I'm a guy, but it doesn't hurt me at all. IT feels pretty good.
Dose it ride up?----only occassionally
Is it not vibrating enough on places you need it to?----Since I do not think it is that effective, probably not. I know it works for some people but sometimes I am very congested and can't get anything up with the vest. By contrast I'll do some exercise and bring up a lot of junk.
Dose it work for you?---It must at least move secretions around, but in terms of bringing up a lot of junk, I'm not sure it does that well.

anonymous

Analytical Fred,

I'm a 21/m w/cf. By comparison, it's safe to say that I'm very healthy. I do my airway clearance twice a day and that typically keeps my lungs somewhere around 90% pf. In the last year or so my health has started to drop. My biggest question to you is: where have you found your inspiration to carry on? In context, I may very well sound idiotic asking this question. I'm living in the 21st Cen which testifies to the greatest medicine and health care in world history. There are people with and without CF who are much worse off then I am.

I've never really needed inspiration before. Lately I've been a mental wreck trying to determine if any of my goals are realizable.

Any advice is appreciated.