In Case Anyone's Interested

T

TonyaH

Thanks Harriet,
I used to check for updates often, but have stopped doing that. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

T

TonyaH

Thanks Harriet,
I used to check for updates often, but have stopped doing that. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

T

TonyaH

Thanks Harriet,

T

TonyaH

Thanks Harriet,

T

TonyaH

Thanks Harriet,
<br />I used to check for updates often, but have stopped doing that. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

S

SarahProcter

Thanks for posting these stats, they are very interesting.

One thing that surprised me is that the two 'big name' centers near me have much lower FEV1's for kids than the local Kaiser center and the hospital system that people tend to be kind of "meh" about (yes, there are four CF centers in my area, it's an embarrasment of riches!)

However, the two 'big name' centers are also transplant centers, and the other two centers are not. Is it reasonable to think that they get sicker kids, and that's why their numbers are lower?

I'll be discussing it with the center, thanks for the link!

S

SarahProcter

One thing that surprised me is that the two 'big name' centers near me have much lower FEV1's for kids than the local Kaiser center and the hospital system that people tend to be kind of "meh" about (yes, there are four CF centers in my area, it's an embarrasment of riches!)

However, the two 'big name' centers are also transplant centers, and the other two centers are not. Is it reasonable to think that they get sicker kids, and that's why their numbers are lower?

S

SarahProcter

S

SarahProcter

S

SarahProcter

<br />
<br />One thing that surprised me is that the two 'big name' centers near me have much lower FEV1's for kids than the local Kaiser center and the hospital system that people tend to be kind of "meh" about (yes, there are four CF centers in my area, it's an embarrasment of riches!)
<br />
<br />However, the two 'big name' centers are also transplant centers, and the other two centers are not. Is it reasonable to think that they get sicker kids, and that's why their numbers are lower?
<br />
<br />I'll be discussing it with the center, thanks for the link!

hmw

Yes, transplant centers DO get a lot of patients that are sicker and this can affect their numbers. However- it's also very unfair when people tend to automatically think of the 'big name' places first and automatically discount places not everyone has heard of or places located somewhere 'smaller.'

I bet when people think of New England centers they don't think of ours (CCCFC; located at Conn. Children's Medical Center), but you know what? They SHOULD, given it's numbers and the standard of excellence it maintains. I've come across people that seem to consider CT a bit of a 'step down' compared to Boston or NYC, but that is soooo untrue when it comes to CF care!

An 'embarrassment of riches', lol... we have many choices within 3hrs of us, too- a couple centers in Boston, another in RI, a couple in NYC, and then CT has two; the other one is less than 30min from me and is affiliated with a large university but it's numbers are very different from ours; fev1 for kids is 88% vs. 98% for ours (neither CT center does transplants.)

hmw

Yes, transplant centers DO get a lot of patients that are sicker and this can affect their numbers. However- it's also very unfair when people tend to automatically think of the 'big name' places first and automatically discount places not everyone has heard of or places located somewhere 'smaller.'

I bet when people think of New England centers they don't think of ours (CCCFC; located at Conn. Children's Medical Center), but you know what? They SHOULD, given it's numbers and the standard of excellence it maintains. I've come across people that seem to consider CT a bit of a 'step down' compared to Boston or NYC, but that is soooo untrue when it comes to CF care!

An 'embarrassment of riches', lol... we have many choices within 3hrs of us, too- a couple centers in Boston, another in RI, a couple in NYC, and then CT has two; the other one is less than 30min from me and is affiliated with a large university but it's numbers are very different from ours; fev1 for kids is 88% vs. 98% for ours (neither CT center does transplants.)

hmw

hmw

hmw

<br />
<br />I bet when people think of New England centers they don't think of ours (CCCFC; located at Conn. Children's Medical Center), but you know what? They SHOULD, given it's numbers and the standard of excellence it maintains. I've come across people that seem to consider CT a bit of a 'step down' compared to Boston or NYC, but that is soooo untrue when it comes to CF care!
<br />
<br />An 'embarrassment of riches', lol... we have many choices within 3hrs of us, too- a couple centers in Boston, another in RI, a couple in NYC, and then CT has two; the other one is less than 30min from me and is affiliated with a large university but it's numbers are very different from ours; fev1 for kids is 88% vs. 98% for ours (neither CT center does transplants.)

BaylorCrew07

very interesting; thanks for posting!
<br />
<br />looks like my CF center is below national average on just about everything... sigh