Insight on son's cough

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
We have our son's quarterly on Tuesday and I'll be asking the doctor of course, but was hoping for some thoughts from either parents or CFres. So last night for about 15 minutes our son had a coughing spell. Not the whole fifteen minutes but he coughed on and off for about that long with some of his "bark" coughs that he use to have a lot of being his GI stuff improved and also before starting QVar. But this morning after a couple right when he woke up he hasn't coughed the entire day. I tried to get him to get a few more out during his treatments but there wasn't much to it, even after several deep hypersal breaths...mostly just a hypersal irritated cough.

Just wondering if something was brewing does it usually continue in the day? And if the day he is completely cough free (even more than he normally is...normally he'll have about 6 coughs but not harsh ones), does that seem to indicate there's nothing brewing and it is either postnasal drip from sleeping, acid reflux, or just a tickle you or I might get?

We've been very blessed with no real lung involvement so I want to make sure I know what to keep an eye on. Any thoughts?

ethan508

I've had nights with coughing fits that haven't turned into much more. Sometimes things move when you are in a lying down position. I'm not sure what turns a normal cough into a 'fit'. But watch his cough closely (as I'm sure you always do). After a weekend you should know if this was just an occasional thing or if it is becoming a pattern.

As sleep is important, if his cough is waking him up, you could prop him more upright with more or bigger pillows at night. I keep an extra big pillow nearby that I can use to if needed to sleep in a more upright position. I've also spent a few nights in a recliner/easy-chair so I could get some sleep without being interrupted by coughing.

Also I've used cyclic breathing with gentle huff coughs to help calm a coughing fit. Sometimes kids don't know how to settle a cough. My daughter (non-CF) when ill sometimes seems to force coughing until it becomes a more of a fit. Maybe the RT could teach your kid how to do active cycle breathing during your visit.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
That was my thought xctly because we were out that afternoon and pollen was covering the car! We did have tests for allegories before but they were all negative but news reports are saying that pollen s so bad this year that some who never had problems are having this year. And his ped said that you need exposure to develop the allegory and I think he might have been tested when so young he didn't yet have the exposure. His cough was non existent yesterday less than the normal very minor few and last night was better than normal...he usually has a few after falling asleep. Definitely will discuss with cf doctor on Tuesday and also ask his ped the later of whom has so much experience in the normal kid suff and allergies and actually has other older kids with cf too...so hopefully can get som more thoughts.

thanks also Ethan...we do prop him up...he has a wedge and lots of pillows. He sleeps great through it...me on the other hand wake, listen, worry...wash rinse repeat until it stops and then on high alert to see what happens next day and whether to up treatments and or call doctor!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Has he had a recent culture done? DS struggled a few years ago with a dry, throat clearing cough. We thought it was just a habit or post-nasal drip. In his case he was culturing steno. maltophilia and oral abx cleared it up. Friend of mine had a similar experience, but not sure what she was culturing.

I always ask ds to describe his cough -- what it feels like -- is it stuff running down his throat from his nose, tight chest.... Earlier this winter when coughing, I asked him what it felt like and he said "like something was stuck on that 'hanging thing' in the back of this throat". Got out the flashlight and he appeared to have a spot (canker sore?)on his uvula, which irritated this throat. Had him gargle with salt water and he was fine. Sometimes it's just something normal and run of the mill. And lots of people this time of year who normally don't have issues with allergies, are indicating the pollen etc is bothering them.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Thanks! He had a culture two monthsagoand just his normal staph. He will get a other on Tuesday. Just wondering g though if it was something would he just have one little spell and the. Completely clear next day and now going on two? That's what I do t haveany experience ce with...I did ask him and he didn't remember coughing and in fact said he didn't cough...and I quizzed him on how his lungs felt in morning and he said normal, fine, not itchy, twitchy, tight or like a cough stuck. Did some huge breaths for me and sounded fuller and clearer than my breaths do! Thanks all!

Printer

CF and pollen is a awful combination. The amount of pollen in the air varies daily and is effected by wind and/or rain. I tested negative to all allergies but I am extremely affected by grass and pollen. The allergy Doctor said that I have a "reaction" and not an allergy.

Treat the symptoms, I don't need to tell you about OTC drugs.

Bill

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Thanks Bill. That makes sense. But I would love your take on what you mean by treat the symptons and I'm not sure what you mean re OTC. My take on OTC is not to give him anything unless I've cleared it with the doctors because I don't know what I don't know! He had been on prescription allergy when he was much younger 1-2 I think and that's when his peds said that allergies didn't make sense because he hadn't been through a season of whatever it was. The only symptom he had was the nighttime coughing spell and it was completely gone the next day (and now on day 2 of great no coughs). And the last time he did the prescription allergy he woke up looking like he had gone a round with Rocky. That's when I gathered from here that it might not be a good idea because it dries them out so much. And discussed with the doctor and concluded it wasn't needing the meds.
I use to have horrible "hayfever" (ragweed) and DH also has, so I'm pretty attune to the runny nose, itch/red eyes, sneezing, and he doesn't have that. But with CF on top it could just be that extra night time cough. But if you have a chance and could expand on how you handle CF and the reaction to the pollen, that'd be great. Thanks
Love

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Pollen and other spring allergies often develop into a nasal/sinus infections. The added mucus stimulated by a histamine response creates an environment even more inviting for a nice infection to take hold. When I was a boy, I always had a somewhat frightening head infection for years without any break. Almost at will I could suck a large, very green gob of mucus from above the pallette, hopefully not too far or I would be choking on the lump. It is common for a progression in infection. Pollens at the microscopic level make a jumping cactus look benign. They hook into the tender mucosa and like ten thousand cuts, infection has a special opportunity.

Even if everything is alright now, check with the local pollution data measures and look for a suspect that just peaked and stopped. If you can, vacuum off everyone whenever family members have been out for any period. I do this myself and have been surprised at how much hooks in our hair and skin but especially clothes.

LL

Gammaw

Super Moderator
LL I have to ask.....how do you vacuum off everyone after they've been out, including hair etc????

shay

Love,
I would recommend giving it a few days and see what happens assuming your son is not obviously sick. Trying to analyze every cough or symptom will end up driving you nuts! I think that if I could redo one thing about when my kids were small, it would be to just slow down a little. We were so worried about losing that precious lung function that I think at times we might have been over vigilant. And that leads sometimes to over treating. Over treating causes its own problems in the long run. So if I had any advice, I would say notice symptoms, collect observations and treat when necessary, but try not to chase every cough. Just my two cents.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Thanks shay! And everyone. All great advise. I'm very hesitant to treat with antibiotics because of his gi issues and having gotten things in check, but obviously would if the doctor wants. I'm just trying to in my ind co part mentality things so I can say okay if at night and nothing more...don't worry re the at night ones. I like t know the why though too, thus trying to see if folks who are o,der can put into words....
little lab...we're pretty good re changing cloth and baths if we're outside a lot with the pollen..my husband actually wears a mask to mow because his allegories (meant allergies but his allegories are bad too!) are really bad and then he changes in the garage before coming in...that was what he always did so good to know its good for ds too.