Insurance coverage through employer - how do you keep high useage from employer?

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
I still don't understand why it is legal for the employer to know who are the heavy insurance users (they may know anyway because of time off of work). I know they can't lay you off and tell you it is because you are costing too much in insurance. But they can think of another "legal" reason to get rid of that position. It is just doesn't make since. I really feel this happened to my husband once. He was at a new job and had consistently gotten good feedback and was blindsided by a lay off because the company was going to go a new way with the position. It was right before open enrollment and in addition to my daughter's CF meds and care, I had cancer treatment (major surgery, radiation, and chemo) that year. Just so frustrating!

You are exactly right. I don't see how it is legal for them to see who is using the most of the insurance. I thought that was the point of the HIPPA law. I guess it is only to protect the privacy of children when they get older from their parents as they have to get permission from my son to even discuss bills I pay. That sounds like that is what happened with your husbands job. That is too sad as I'm sure at the time you already had enough to deal with. That is what I am afraid of. They can always find a way to "legally" get rid of you, just like you said. My husband also had cancer two years ago, like you, and went through surgeries and treatment and is actually fine now but I know we have always been the big users. I guess we can have other people on this forum further explain to us just why it is so fair for the employer to do that in this unfair world. It's all about who pays the most and if you don't have the most to pay you are pretty much at the hands of those who do. That's another reason I appeal through prayer to a higher power.

nmw0615

It does not violate HIPAA because no actual medical information is given. Yes, the individual is tied to the amount of money being paid. But personal medical information is not being given out. The insurance isn't saying "We need you to approve 'x' amount of money to cover med a, b, and c for the individual's disease of ..." They are saying "we need you to approve 'x' amount of money for person Y." Because no medical information is shared, HIPAA is still honored.

Thank you for your help NMW0615. I appreciate your help. I do understand that but I feel it is a major flaw in the HIPPA law as employers can figure a way to get rid of you if you cost too much. I pray this never happens to my son or any of you out there. Thank you for your info the other day and also now.

Printer

Mrs. Believingjesus:

You should contact Senators Pat Roberts and Jerry Moran to get new legislation moving to overturn this major flaw.

God bless you,
Bill

Thank you Mr. Printer for that helpful advice finally. I don't feel that would do a thing as they are against President Obama's healthcare law. I did not vote for them this last time but they were both reelected. I know that would be useless but thank you for the advice. Some of your advice is helpful. I did not mean to say not to tell people to see an accredited CF center. At that point I was not portraying the person I should be. I know that is helpful advice as I know that a lot of doctors, along with our own a long time ago, are not familiar with CF. That is why we found out when my son was 4 and not at birth even tho I told the doctor of numerous symptoms and he ignored me. I am sorry for telling you to not give that advice. I know it is helpful.

RobinB29

I have Printer on ignore for this very reason. Not seeing hateful messages has made reading the forum much nicer :)

Mr. Bill: for the record we were told by our doctor here to go to a CF center but only after he missed 4 years of symptoms and the doctor also treating me like I was crazy and there wasn't a thing wrong. I know the advice I criticized u for was good advice. I am sorry for saying that.

Ah! Thanks for understanding. I am trying to get over this week of controversy with him and hopefully he can think about how he says things and how they r perceived. I shouldn't have got so upset either as by my age u should have done better. Thank u for your support Robinb29. I am just learning how to do this forum as I have just read it for years and I didn't even know how to post but finally did. Lol! Thanks for your support.

Also I clicked on the green thing on my fone on your message but I didn't know what that was Robinb29. It turned red and now I realize what it was. I also meant to type on my previous message that "I" should have known better at my age, not the word "u". Lol!

Last edited: