International Patient

I am a Pediatrician who goes on medical missions to the Dominican Republic 3 times a year. I have recently begun seeing Yendry, a little 4 year old Dominican child, with cystic fibrosis. His family is unable to afford his medications and I am providing what I can find. Does anyone have ideas for donations of Creon and 7% hypertonic saline? Those are the most expensive, difficult to find at a reasonable cost. I will be going down again in late August and hope to take enough medication to get him through until mid January. Insurance there does not cover his medications and I had no idea how expensive these 2 were until I began trying to provide them for him.
Thank you for any ideas.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
You could check with CF clinics to see if they get samples from drug companies or if they know of anyone who may have switched brands and has a surplus. Unfortunately it is spendy, I just got the receipt for my child's 3 month supply of creon, which was covered by insurance and it was $22,000 plus. Hypertonic saline in our case isn't covered by insurance, so I have to pay out of pocket $33 every month.