Is everyone on Prevacid?

T

tammykrumrey

My daughters have been on Prilosec and Zantac over the years. My oldest one is now on Prevacid, and it seems to being helping her. My youngest is on generic Prilosec, and handles that good too. My younger one suffered terrible reflux, so we tried everything with her as an infant.

We have over the years tried taking them off these, but they do not gain weight without them. These medications really have helped in making the enzymes work better.

My oldest one was having horrible stomach aches every morning, and we started giving her 1 dose of Prevacid in the morning and 1 in the evening, and the stomach aches went away and the weight gain started going full force. Sometimes I am amazed at what a difference can be seen by just changing something as simple as adding a dose in the evening!

folione

My son w/CF is 3 and was on Zantac from birth and recently switched to Prevacid. He had terrible reflux until age 1 and is still very susceptible, so that alone is enough reason for his Rx. His CF doctor said they help the enzymes work better but we had not noticed it that much until he started prevacid. Prevacid apparently has a much greater effect on slowing the rate at which food moves through his system and we've backed off quite a bit on his enzymes. He'a also not had any reflux problems - which had started recurring before the switch.

folione

My son w/CF is 3 and was on Zantac from birth and recently switched to Prevacid. He had terrible reflux until age 1 and is still very susceptible, so that alone is enough reason for his Rx. His CF doctor said they help the enzymes work better but we had not noticed it that much until he started prevacid. Prevacid apparently has a much greater effect on slowing the rate at which food moves through his system and we've backed off quite a bit on his enzymes. He'a also not had any reflux problems - which had started recurring before the switch.

folione

ktsmom

I'll hijack briefly to answer blopunky's mom about long term effects of Prevacid. I am told by a nutrionist that proton pump inhibitors can eventually cause a permanent lack of the proper 'good' digestive acid in the stomach.

But I think the benefits for us right now far outweigh the potential downside so take this with a grain of salt, as with everything.

Dana
Mom to Katy (3, cf) and Kyra (6, no cf)

ktsmom

I'll hijack briefly to answer blopunky's mom about long term effects of Prevacid. I am told by a nutrionist that proton pump inhibitors can eventually cause a permanent lack of the proper 'good' digestive acid in the stomach.

But I think the benefits for us right now far outweigh the potential downside so take this with a grain of salt, as with everything.

Dana

ktsmom

Dana

Nicole

My son was started on zantac at birth, switched to previcid, switched to pepcid which he's been on for about 2 years now. I don't know how he would be without it as he has always been on something. He had pretty bad reflux as a baby.

Nicole

My son was started on zantac at birth, switched to previcid, switched to pepcid which he's been on for about 2 years now. I don't know how he would be without it as he has always been on something. He had pretty bad reflux as a baby.

Nicole

caymancf

My oldest son was dx at 6 yrs. For the last 2 years we have been taking him to The Cystic Fibrosis Hospital in Verona, Italy. There they started him on Zantac. One at bed time. Should I ask about upping the dose to add another in the morning? He has no lung issues, all of the problems are digestive but his growth and weight gain ( or lack of) has always been the problem.
Thanks for any advice!
Tiffany
Mother of 4
10 yr old w/ cf
7 1/2 yr old, 6 yr old & 14 month old cf carriers

caymancf

My oldest son was dx at 6 yrs. For the last 2 years we have been taking him to The Cystic Fibrosis Hospital in Verona, Italy. There they started him on Zantac. One at bed time. Should I ask about upping the dose to add another in the morning? He has no lung issues, all of the problems are digestive but his growth and weight gain ( or lack of) has always been the problem.
Thanks for any advice!
Tiffany
Mother of 4
10 yr old w/ cf

caymancf

Thanks for any advice!
Tiffany
Mother of 4
10 yr old w/ cf

T

tammykrumrey

Tiffany,
We did add a second daily dose to my daughter, and it did help. She is on Prevacid, simply because they have a chewable version and she is for some reason having a mental block in swallowing any type of pills. She has been doing it since she was 4, very discouraging! Taking enzymes is a nightmare!! But, back to adding a dose, it may depend on what his max dosage is and if they can add any. At one time we were just splitting the dosage in half...half in the am and half in the pm, and it too helped. Maybe suggest it to the doctor. I really don't know how it could hurt to try it.

T

tammykrumrey

Tiffany,
We did add a second daily dose to my daughter, and it did help. She is on Prevacid, simply because they have a chewable version and she is for some reason having a mental block in swallowing any type of pills. She has been doing it since she was 4, very discouraging! Taking enzymes is a nightmare!! But, back to adding a dose, it may depend on what his max dosage is and if they can add any. At one time we were just splitting the dosage in half...half in the am and half in the pm, and it too helped. Maybe suggest it to the doctor. I really don't know how it could hurt to try it.

T

tammykrumrey

Tiffany,

Seana30

Courtney takes Aciphex twice daily. I was told a acid reducer help the enzymes work better plus most CFers have acid reflux issues.

Seana

Seana30

Courtney takes Aciphex twice daily. I was told a acid reducer help the enzymes work better plus most CFers have acid reflux issues.

Seana

Seana30

Seana

gr33nie

Eli takes 1.5 ml of Zantc twice a day. I'm thinking about asking the doc. about trying prilosec as I'm really not sure if the Zantac helped with his reflux which was it's original intent.

We tried prevacid but could not get it into a form that he would take, maybe now that he knows how to eat enzymes in applesauce (and sugar) he could take it but I think that prilosec comes in a liquid so that might be better.