is home birth even an option?

ms.rowan

Hello all,
I read post frequently on this forum but have never posted myself.
I am a young lady who has was diagnosed with CF from birth. I am not pregnant but wanting to know my options as I hope to have a family sooner than later. When and if I do get the chance to carry a child of my own, I would like a 100% normal/natural birth ideally in the comfort of my home. However, I know in TN (where I call home) it is against the law for a midwife to deliver a baby at home for a high-risk pregnancy. I was very sad to find this out and i'm trying to be positive but it is difficult not being sure what my options really are. SO. ladies- I am wondering if any of you have had a successful home birth or even planned for a home birth and had to transfer. What did your doctors think? Do you think it was better or worse to leave out all of the hospital interventions/stress for a CF body? How did your midwife feel about you having CF? Did you have to do it 'under the table' because high risk home births are not allowed in your state? I am very interested to hear your experiences and find out more. Thanks so much!

Rowan

W

welshwitch

Hi Rowan! I haven't (not YET anyway) but I do know there are some CF mommies on this forum who have gone the home birth route. GOOD LUCK :)

anien2

Home conception is fine. Home birth is an unnecessary risk. What if anything goes wrong and you or the baby need the kind of help that only can be found in a hospital? Safety should be priority number one. For a CFer or a non CFer.

I would have to agree with Anien2. I'm a CF Mom of 2. I delivered both in the hospital. I had complications with my first and the Dr. had a difficult time controlling my bleeding. They were able to get it under control and I avoided blood transfusions etc. I have a friend who was the same age when I gave birth (38) and she wasn't so lucky. She had the same complications but they couldn't control the bleeding. She unfortunately ended up having a hysterectomy. Her baby was fine. I don't tend to tell horror stories about childbirth. The most important this is the safety of you and your baby. A home delivery shouldn't be your priority. Perhaps you can look into a midwife attending your birth in a hospital. If you want more info, please let me know. Good luck!

H

heidikk

what is it about cf specifically that would cause complications during birth?

Helenlight

I understand how a PWCF could have problems during pregnancy (getting enough nutrition and strain on the body etc) but is the birth itself higher risk than normal?

I personally have had a home birth- I don't have CF, but our little girl turned out to have CF. So it's kind of funny in a way that she started life having nothing to do with hospitals, and now she relies on them! Having been through a home birth- (they are fully legal here in New Zealand with free midwife and any care we need) I can say that while I'm glad I had the experience, I don't think it really matters where you give birth as long as you have the help and care available to you that you need. We are very close to a hospital so I felt comfortable that extra help was near if we needed it. My birth was relatively uncomplicated, though I did have an anterior lip which may have required a transfer if it didn't resolve itself, and some bleeding at the end which my midwife was able to deal with. I think the decision is up to each mother and also depends on what your local hospital is like because each will be different. In NZ we can have our own midwife deliver at the hospital with little or no intervention from hospital staff. Other hospitals may remove more rights and have different protocols. Ask them some questions like: will they let you hold the baby straight after birth? Some hospitals will immediately wash the baby with soap (I don't know who does this but I have seen recent footage of it) which is an unnecessary practice and not good for the baby at all. There are lots of other considerations you could check.
Having been through birth now, I can say it is an absolute butt-whipping :)-/) and I don't think I'd mind either way if I was at home or hospital next time, as long as I had the right people around me, both caring and proficient. You've got to trust in and be comfortable with those people.
In the end you'll do what's right for you, just do your research and feel confident in your decision. All the best :)

triples15

Super Moderator
Hi Rowan,

In my state home birth is against the law across the board, so it was never something I entertained. Although, I can't say I likely would have entertained it anyway.

My pregnancy was smooth. I consulted with a high-risk OB early on in my pregnancy, but then was able to stay with my regular OB throughout the pregnancy. So I don't know if having CF automatically qualifies you as "high risk" as far as the laws regarding home birth go. You could probably fight being given the high risk label.

I also developed gestational diabetes, which gets you labeled as high risk. So I'm pretty sure that even though I stayed with my regular doc, I was still considered high risk on paper.

For me personally, I would feel much safer delivering in a hospital. I think these days hospitals are doing MUCH better at honoring birth plans etc. And of course your midwife could attend at the hospital. Most hospitals are also getting much more family based with bigger beds and nicer "suites". Most also have jacuzzi or birthing tubs.

I think as long as you and your midwife have birth plan there should be no reason you couldn't have the kind of labor/delivery experience you want while still erring on the side of safety and delivering in the hospital. My labor and delivery ended up being smooth, but I'm still glad I was in the hospital.

Take care and best of luck to you! Let us know if you have any other questions!

Autumn 32 w/CF

Just wanted to add that a friend of mine just had a baby and she had in her birth plan that she did not want an IV, did not want the baby given a bath, did not want the eye goop for the baby, and did not want the vit K shot immediately after he was born. The hospital honored all of these. In retrospect, I wish I would have asked for no bath. Seemed weird to me that they almost immediately took my daughter and gave her a bath, causing hysterics to ensue. Thanks for traumatizing my minutes old baby like that. Not to mentions dries out a newborn baby's skin. But that wasn't even something I thought about prior to labor.

A

alegris

I wouldn't worry much about it until you are actually pregnant and see how that goes. I'm due in two weeks and I don't really know what my plans were prior to becoming pregnant, but I can say now that I want to be in a hospital with a full supply of drugs available and a team of experts taking care of things. I've had an awful pregnancy (all complications had to do with me and not the baby) and I'm actually looking forward to having an epidural and any other pain medications they want to give me. After 9 months of suffering being able to take nothing but tylenol, it will be so nice! I know that sounds a bit crazy but I think you just have to see how the pregnancy goes. You will probably change your mind a hundred times throughout anyways. At the very least, it will be nice getting my meals made for me at the hospital! And of course I will feel more comfortable being somewhere that can better handle complications should they arise with the baby. I'm also an hour away from the nearest hospital so that factors in as well. I'm in Canada and every woman with CF is classified as high risk at my hospital. One good thing about that is all CF patients get a private room without having to pay extra for it and we can bump the people out who have paid for a private room (hehe). You have to take the little victories!

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
This may be a silly question but since this is not yet happening are you certain you classify as "at risk"? At risk momz usually are 13 year olds, drug addicts and HIV positive women. That is the highest risk people for whom the law was written, they have good* reasons to avoid disclosing their pregnancy along with their non pregnancy issues.

Maybe some discrete questions can tell you more. You know your health and will be very aware of what you can do or must do as the due date nears. Even if you are now catalogued as at risk or become at risk once you are pregnant, there may be a legal remedy. An appeal process could be undertaken since the very term "at risk" or whatever, is open to interpretation.

Most mid wives these days are licensed with very high standards. I know three and they all spent years in maternity wards. They have excellent judgment when it comes to the safety or risk with mom and baby to be. Finding a mid wife and engaging your CF doctor as advocates when all this comes to be, plus a cheap, sympathetic lawyer if it comes time to get serious. I know that birthing rooms in modern hospital is not your mother's experience. Apartment like rooms allow whatever people you want in, or out at various times. Doctors and nurses don't wear costumes, but also don't wear uniforms. Many young families want natural child birth. It might be the next best thing, go see a couple places.

LL

*Good reasons for them, they are good reasons not to have home birthing. Even with the Federal repeal of eugenics laws, State laws may still be in effect. If you feel violated by imposed regulations, eugenics laws are historically used to sterilize indigent "welfare mothers" including her minor children assuming they weren't just taken away. Fortunately so few doctors are willing to participate in this egregious law, sterilization has virtually stopped. Boy, "at risk" does sound frightening! Assure yourself you aren't at risk, in fact and kick 'em where it hurts at the first hint of intrusion.

anien2

I wouldn't worry much about it until you are actually pregnant and see how that goes. I'm due in two weeks and I don't really know what my plans were prior to becoming pregnant, but I can say now that I want to be in a hospital with a full supply of drugs available and a team of experts taking care of things. I've had an awful pregnancy (all complications had to do with me and not the baby) and I'm actually looking forward to having an epidural and any other pain medications they want to give me. After 9 months of suffering being able to take nothing but tylenol, it will be so nice! I know that sounds a bit crazy but I think you just have to see how the pregnancy goes. You will probably change your mind a hundred times throughout anyways. At the very least, it will be nice getting my meals made for me at the hospital! And of course I will feel more comfortable being somewhere that can better handle complications should they arise with the baby. I'm also an hour away from the nearest hospital so that factors in as well. I'm in Canada and every woman with CF is classified as high risk at my hospital. One good thing about that is all CF patients get a private room without having to pay extra for it and we can bump the people out who have paid for a private room (hehe). You have to take the little victories!

You will burn in hell for that, you know it?? its in the Bible: "in pain you shall bring forth children" Genesis 3:16 Epidural goes against the willing of God.

Thats what an aunt of mine said to my 8 months pregnant wife. I will not reproduce my wife´s answer (it was...impolite)

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Hopefully your wife knows her Bible, I can't even get angry at the pathetic people quoting the Good Book like a lawyer for God. I was in the ER one time giving birth to yet another kidney stone and a sympathetic nurse was keeping me company along with my agony. She told me she had one kidney stone and two babies, the only difference was she had nothing to take home with the stone. I have endured a dozen kidney stones but I'm a guy so that is as close as I can imagine.

"Give me my epidural" was the comic mantra taught by a Shanghi'd doctor trapped into teaching a birthing class in the sitcom "Northern Exposure". I believe vaginal birth is the best option if possible, but beyond that, whatever meets your needs should be the rule. Doctors found C section babies are a whole lot easier to do to the point where it was well into the catagory of needless surgery. Now some of the blowback is hitting home. The act of giving birth is more than a metaphore and less than vital. I don't think the act of giving birth is as important for the mother as the baby. I have been around enough mammalian births to notice the easy births often don't survive. If an animal is giving birth to three and one slips out too easy, we would grab it and give it a proper squashing to clear and stimulate life outside the womb. Medical issues are starting to surface in the greater C section population. No Bible quotes, just something interesting to watch out for.

LL

A

alegris

You will burn in hell for that, you know it?? its in the Bible: "in pain you shall bring forth children" Genesis 3:16 Epidural goes against the willing of God.

Thats what an aunt of mine said to my 8 months pregnant wife. I will not reproduce my wife´s answer (it was...impolite)

Ok I kind of have to laugh at this. I'm sorry but having an epidural is MY choice and if I'm willing to burn in hell for it, then well I guess that's my business. I was just trying to get the point across that pregnancy and labour isn't all sunshine and roses and maybe once the original poster experiences it, she will want something different than what she originally set out for. You can't plan what's going to happen. Just like you can't plan ahead of time whether you will be high risk or not. Sometimes normal, healthy pregnancies take a turn for the worse and you end up at the high risk clinic anyways. You just have to see how things go and decide from there. That's all I was trying to say.

As for the 'willing of God,' I mean we've all been through our struggles. I've had countless surgeries for intestinal obstructions, burst appendix, and battled cancer to name a few. At this point, I'm a little sick of pain and should I be privileged enough to meet my maker, we will have a nice talk about my life decisions. You don't know the pain I've suffered to get to this point in my life just to be able to have a child at all. So let's let him judge. That's his job, not yours.

T

Tombliboo

Hi MsRowan, I really wanted to see if I could help find an answer to your question, so I asked it on our Facebook group of 400 CF women who are mothers or hoping to become mothers, and I found one who did have a home birth! If you want me to put you in touch with her just message me here: https://www.facebook.com/emma.harris.16

Personally I would not have wanted a home birth with my little boy as the pregnancy was made very complex by CF and it would never have been an option anyway. To be honest I would feel the same way if I didn't have CF, having watched a lot of real life documentaries on birth and seen how quickly things can go wrong. However I appreciate that different people have different views!

anien2

Alegris, I agree with you 100%. It´s just that every time somebody mentions "epidural" I remember that episode of my life. Dont get me wrong.

ms.rowan

Thank you! I am a somewhat new member of that group and very much enjoy reading everyone's stories and the support.

cysterchar

Hiya,
I am 29 and a cf mummy. I had my daughter almost seven years ago and I had her at the hospital. I was not trying to get pregnant but it happened by luck. I was very under weight and needed much intervention from my cf team. If I had have been well then I possibly could have been in more control of what happened. I developed diabetes while pregnant and had to be induced and monitored through the entire labour. So therefore a home birth would not have been possible. It sounds like you want to plan things properly and I have always said if there was to be any more children for me then I will plan it properly so that I can have more control. If that is the case for you and you do not have any other complications then I do not see any reason why you could not have a home birth. x

Beccamom

As far as CF specifically, I coughed my second child out which may have been a good way to push, but she had the chord around her neck twice. It took quick doctor work to save her. Sorry if TMI bit this caused a terrible tear and lots of stitches.

I had my other child and needed IV antibiotics due to high fever and because they began the second I gave birth my baby was not affected and I was feeling better and able to care for her when we got home from the hospital.

I'm sure there are many more reasons. There is an article on the risks of home birth for the general population right now on www.nbcnews.com and it lists where the latest research study was conducted.

LouLou

If I had not dealt with hemoptysis I may have considered a homebirth due mostly to being germophobic of the hospital. Rightly so, my son and I picked up MRSA while in the hospital for delivery which reared its ugly head on day 11 of life for my son as mastitis. Unfortunately it's been in my lungs ever since. Still though I felt it was important to be in the hospital so I could be rushed to interventional radiology if I started to bleed out through my lungs during labor. I actually didn't deal with hemoptysis or any other lung/other complications during labor. I did have a birth plan that restricted a lot of the interventions hospitals often want to do which helped me to feel more in control and also that our experience was more natural. Ultimately what is important is that you stay as healthy as can be to survive for as long as possible to care/raise your child.

Beccamom

That is the funniest thing I have heard.

As my doctor put it "it is completely up to you if you want an epidural or not". I of course chos epidurals with both of my girls because it is up to you if you want to be in pain or enjoy your labor because if you are not in pain and sleep during labor then you get to enjoy your baby while you are both awake after the baby is born.