Is it illegal to reuse an "outdated" prescription?

Enzo2311

So for the past year I've gone through trial and errors with my doctors trying out different prescription (ie. Paxi, Prozac, Klonopin, Xanax, etc.). About 8 months ago I asked my doctor to switch me from Klonopin back to Xanax (something I had taken previously) because I figured that worked better. I still have my Klonopin prescription bottle with some pills in it, if I were to finish off that bottle, would that be illegal? It still has about 10 pills in it, so it'd take me about 5 months to use it all up.

B

BreathinSteven

Hi Enzo...

I believe the answer would be no -- it is not illegal. The drugs were prescribed to you and there appears to be no issue with the age of the drugs -- I cannot see how it could be considered "illegal". But, if you'd already determined that the medication was not working -- and that was the reason you went back to another medication -- I'm uncertain why you'd want to take the Klonopin. If, on the other hand, you found they were effective -- I see nothing wrong with keeping them and using them, as long as they do not interact negatively with other meds you're taking... Love, Steve

peter

It is illegal to sell or share with anyone else. Otherwise you may take if prescribed. Some pills have a shelf life and "ingredient(s) can denature and become neutralized. Expired meds should not have adverse affect but could have no intended efficacy past expiration date.

Enzo2311

Well I'd only use it if I don't have a supply of Xanax. Kinda like a back up. It works for anxiety a tad bit, just not as effective as Xanax.