Is it the SALT?

Fran

Lachy has taken salt tablets for many years. They contain 600mg sodium chloride. He takes up to ten a day. I should say that we live in Queensland, Australia where it is very hot almost year round. He also does the usual salty foods, I have just started buying sea salt as it doesn't contain anti caking agents (don't like the sound of that).

He is a very good weight, probably slightly overweight on some charts, don't know if it is related to salt intake.

Fran

Lachy has taken salt tablets for many years. They contain 600mg sodium chloride. He takes up to ten a day. I should say that we live in Queensland, Australia where it is very hot almost year round. He also does the usual salty foods, I have just started buying sea salt as it doesn't contain anti caking agents (don't like the sound of that).

He is a very good weight, probably slightly overweight on some charts, don't know if it is related to salt intake.

Fran

Fran

Fran

<br />
<br />He is a very good weight, probably slightly overweight on some charts, don't know if it is related to salt intake.

lmattaway

Harriet,
I'm not entirely sure if this applies, but since I suffered from stomach aches for most of my young life, I thought I'd share in the chance that it might help. While I ate lots as a child, I also had trouble gaining weight. I would struggle with feeling bloated and waking up in the middle of the night with pain.

It wasn't until I was able to control the stomach pain that I started gaining weight again. I am currently on a capful of Miralax every night after dinner. It keeps the pipes working and keeps me pain free. (Running also does the trick)

We went through many "diagnoses" with my stomach aches before realizing it was just DIOS and that Miralax would solve it. I remember being able to literally feel the bowel getting stuck and almost popping out a little bulge on the side of my stomach (thought it was a hernia at one point) until I would massage it back in. I found that eating large meals made it worse. Small meals more often seemed to help.

That said, I would often take salt tablets when I was involved in sports, especially in the summer. A lack of salt can cause dehydration and on a smaller scale, the lack of water can make stools harder and more difficult to pass.

Hope that helps!

lmattaway

Harriet,
I'm not entirely sure if this applies, but since I suffered from stomach aches for most of my young life, I thought I'd share in the chance that it might help. While I ate lots as a child, I also had trouble gaining weight. I would struggle with feeling bloated and waking up in the middle of the night with pain.

It wasn't until I was able to control the stomach pain that I started gaining weight again. I am currently on a capful of Miralax every night after dinner. It keeps the pipes working and keeps me pain free. (Running also does the trick)

We went through many "diagnoses" with my stomach aches before realizing it was just DIOS and that Miralax would solve it. I remember being able to literally feel the bowel getting stuck and almost popping out a little bulge on the side of my stomach (thought it was a hernia at one point) until I would massage it back in. I found that eating large meals made it worse. Small meals more often seemed to help.

That said, I would often take salt tablets when I was involved in sports, especially in the summer. A lack of salt can cause dehydration and on a smaller scale, the lack of water can make stools harder and more difficult to pass.

Hope that helps!

lmattaway

Harriet,

Hope that helps!

lmattaway

Harriet,

Hope that helps!

lmattaway

Harriet,
<br /> I'm not entirely sure if this applies, but since I suffered from stomach aches for most of my young life, I thought I'd share in the chance that it might help. While I ate lots as a child, I also had trouble gaining weight. I would struggle with feeling bloated and waking up in the middle of the night with pain.
<br />
<br />It wasn't until I was able to control the stomach pain that I started gaining weight again. I am currently on a capful of Miralax every night after dinner. It keeps the pipes working and keeps me pain free. (Running also does the trick)
<br />
<br />We went through many "diagnoses" with my stomach aches before realizing it was just DIOS and that Miralax would solve it. I remember being able to literally feel the bowel getting stuck and almost popping out a little bulge on the side of my stomach (thought it was a hernia at one point) until I would massage it back in. I found that eating large meals made it worse. Small meals more often seemed to help.
<br />
<br />That said, I would often take salt tablets when I was involved in sports, especially in the summer. A lack of salt can cause dehydration and on a smaller scale, the lack of water can make stools harder and more difficult to pass.
<br />
<br />Hope that helps!

M

Mommafirst

It definitely could be salt. It could also be a zinc deficiency. With such diffficulties absorbing nutrients, CFers can often be low on zinc, which is what helps gain weight. They tested Alyssa for this when we were trying to avoid the feeding tube. I hope you find an answer and that answer gives you some real direction to help.

M

Mommafirst

It definitely could be salt. It could also be a zinc deficiency. With such diffficulties absorbing nutrients, CFers can often be low on zinc, which is what helps gain weight. They tested Alyssa for this when we were trying to avoid the feeding tube. I hope you find an answer and that answer gives you some real direction to help.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

mariahsmommy

I used to just estimate how much salt I was giving Mariah by a few shakes from the salt shaker. She would get belly aches, be lethargic, and vomit. After I started measuring out how much they recommended per day, it made a world of difference. Like they said above, I would put it into everything she eats without going completely overboard. Good luck and I hope she starts to feeling better.

mariahsmommy

I used to just estimate how much salt I was giving Mariah by a few shakes from the salt shaker. She would get belly aches, be lethargic, and vomit. After I started measuring out how much they recommended per day, it made a world of difference. Like they said above, I would put it into everything she eats without going completely overboard. Good luck and I hope she starts to feeling better.

mariahsmommy

mariahsmommy

mariahsmommy