Is it the SALT?

ymikhale

We have been adding salt since my dd was diagnosed. She is 2 y/o and they recommend 2-3 grams of salt per day. I use sea salt, I thinkit helped my dd a lot in gaining weight.

ymikhale

We have been adding salt since my dd was diagnosed. She is 2 y/o and they recommend 2-3 grams of salt per day. I use sea salt, I thinkit helped my dd a lot in gaining weight.

ymikhale

ymikhale

ymikhale

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We've always given DS free rein when it comes to using the salt shaker. He sometimes just takes hits off it, followed by a drink of water. So obviously he needs it.

He gets his blood checked once a year around his birthday -- liver function, glucose, vitamin levels, sodium.... So might be a good idea to see how she's tracking and if that's causing her problems.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We've always given DS free rein when it comes to using the salt shaker. He sometimes just takes hits off it, followed by a drink of water. So obviously he needs it.

He gets his blood checked once a year around his birthday -- liver function, glucose, vitamin levels, sodium.... So might be a good idea to see how she's tracking and if that's causing her problems.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />He gets his blood checked once a year around his birthday -- liver function, glucose, vitamin levels, sodium.... So might be a good idea to see how she's tracking and if that's causing her problems.

hmw

Thanks everyone... for some reason whenever I've thought of salt depletion I've always thought of symptoms associated with heatstroke, symptoms like muscle cramps, exhaustion, stuff like that. Never did contributing to growth problems even occur to me.

She is a very medically complex child and has SO MANY SYMPTOMS that can point to any number of problems: her seizures have been associated with nausea, vomiting, and afterwards she has headaches and is very tired. She has migraines, which also can cause extreme exhaustion and nausea. One of her seizure medications can reduce her tolerance of the heat. Another medication is notorious for affecting growth and appetite but she cannot function at school without it (believe me, we have tried. Over and over again. And the enduring fact remains anyway: the kid eats like a horse!) The fact that these symptoms can all also be cf-related absolutely drives me crazy because I cannot discern the difference so much of the time!

Her developmental disabilities limit her ability to communicate how she is feeling about any of this stuff, as well as her ability to comprehend how important it is to fully cooperate in certain aspects of her care that embarrass her (i.e. showing us the poop. She finally achieved potty autonomy at age 5 and is now known to sometimes take it very personally when we need to know any bathroom details.) So it is very hard to figure it all out, very frustrating.

So, supplementing the salt certainly seems worth a try. I think I will try the product Missa recommends, that sounds very good... maybe a very tiny amount to begin with (in hopes she won't notice) in plain water and work up to the dose recommended. This seems like a great place to start given her preference for plain water. Maybe the tablets if that is not enough. She does not often ask for salty snacks, but there are several she does like... key will be moderating how much her brothers and father eat (dad has high blood pressure!)

I do wonder if her increased problems with stomachaches over the last few months has come from my deliberate efforts to get the salty junk food out of the house. I never really thought about it having an effect on *her* ...I bet she was eating more of it than I thought, and even stuff like store-bought cookies often has a very high sodium content, which is why I had to stop buying most of it (when it's in the house, dh eats it.) The treats I bake, for example, don't. I just did not THINK of this. I make her separate fatty stuff and didn't think of replacing the salt.

hmw

Thanks everyone... for some reason whenever I've thought of salt depletion I've always thought of symptoms associated with heatstroke, symptoms like muscle cramps, exhaustion, stuff like that. Never did contributing to growth problems even occur to me.

She is a very medically complex child and has SO MANY SYMPTOMS that can point to any number of problems: her seizures have been associated with nausea, vomiting, and afterwards she has headaches and is very tired. She has migraines, which also can cause extreme exhaustion and nausea. One of her seizure medications can reduce her tolerance of the heat. Another medication is notorious for affecting growth and appetite but she cannot function at school without it (believe me, we have tried. Over and over again. And the enduring fact remains anyway: the kid eats like a horse!) The fact that these symptoms can all also be cf-related absolutely drives me crazy because I cannot discern the difference so much of the time!

Her developmental disabilities limit her ability to communicate how she is feeling about any of this stuff, as well as her ability to comprehend how important it is to fully cooperate in certain aspects of her care that embarrass her (i.e. showing us the poop. She finally achieved potty autonomy at age 5 and is now known to sometimes take it very personally when we need to know any bathroom details.) So it is very hard to figure it all out, very frustrating.

So, supplementing the salt certainly seems worth a try. I think I will try the product Missa recommends, that sounds very good... maybe a very tiny amount to begin with (in hopes she won't notice) in plain water and work up to the dose recommended. This seems like a great place to start given her preference for plain water. Maybe the tablets if that is not enough. She does not often ask for salty snacks, but there are several she does like... key will be moderating how much her brothers and father eat (dad has high blood pressure!)

I do wonder if her increased problems with stomachaches over the last few months has come from my deliberate efforts to get the salty junk food out of the house. I never really thought about it having an effect on *her* ...I bet she was eating more of it than I thought, and even stuff like store-bought cookies often has a very high sodium content, which is why I had to stop buying most of it (when it's in the house, dh eats it.) The treats I bake, for example, don't. I just did not THINK of this. I make her separate fatty stuff and didn't think of replacing the salt.

hmw

hmw

hmw

<br />
<br />She is a very medically complex child and has SO MANY SYMPTOMS that can point to any number of problems: her seizures have been associated with nausea, vomiting, and afterwards she has headaches and is very tired. She has migraines, which also can cause extreme exhaustion and nausea. One of her seizure medications can reduce her tolerance of the heat. Another medication is notorious for affecting growth and appetite but she cannot function at school without it (believe me, we have tried. Over and over again. And the enduring fact remains anyway: the kid eats like a horse!) The fact that these symptoms can all also be cf-related absolutely drives me crazy because I cannot discern the difference so much of the time!
<br />
<br />Her developmental disabilities limit her ability to communicate how she is feeling about any of this stuff, as well as her ability to comprehend how important it is to fully cooperate in certain aspects of her care that embarrass her (i.e. showing us the poop. She finally achieved potty autonomy at age 5 and is now known to sometimes take it very personally when we need to know any bathroom details.) So it is very hard to figure it all out, very frustrating.
<br />
<br />So, supplementing the salt certainly seems worth a try. I think I will try the product Missa recommends, that sounds very good... maybe a very tiny amount to begin with (in hopes she won't notice) in plain water and work up to the dose recommended. This seems like a great place to start given her preference for plain water. Maybe the tablets if that is not enough. She does not often ask for salty snacks, but there are several she does like... key will be moderating how much her brothers and father eat (dad has high blood pressure!)
<br />
<br />I do wonder if her increased problems with stomachaches over the last few months has come from my deliberate efforts to get the salty junk food out of the house. I never really thought about it having an effect on *her* ...I bet she was eating more of it than I thought, and even stuff like store-bought cookies often has a very high sodium content, which is why I had to stop buying most of it (when it's in the house, dh eats it.) The treats I bake, for example, don't. I just did not THINK of this. I make her separate fatty stuff and didn't think of replacing the salt.

debs2girls

We have also given dd free reign of the salt shaker. There are times she will make herself a glass of salt water and drink it...sometime, several times a day.

debs2girls

We have also given dd free reign of the salt shaker. There are times she will make herself a glass of salt water and drink it...sometime, several times a day.

debs2girls

debs2girls

debs2girls

<br />