Is it the SALT?

hmw

I've posted so many times about my daughter's weight gain issues (well, more like lack thereof) and now, of late she has had incessant stomachaches that have really been taking away a lot of her QOL and left us constantly wondering what is going on and have us worrying about the Poop Situation (pooping really becomes a major event in a cf household sometimes, doesn't it.)

We've been pushing constantly to increase the fat & calories... this child is eating all the time and it cannot possibly be a deficit of calories at fault here. I was trying to find some information for someone about something else before and inadvertently came across symptoms of depleted sodium in CF and realized that stomachaches, nausea and POOR GROWTH can result. I hear mostly about sodium supplementation being necessary with babies and therefore don't pay much attention to that (she's almost 9 and wasn't dx'ed until 7.5) and do hear 'add salty snacks' when it's hot or she's exercising a lot... but is it possible we've been missing this for a while now? Have any of your kids had problems like this due to low sodium?

I don't know why but I never realized the consequences of low sodium could be digestive/growth. She is due for her labs next clinic appt, so we haven't checked on electrolytes in quite some time.

What a relief it would be if there was something we could remedy like this!

hmw

I've posted so many times about my daughter's weight gain issues (well, more like lack thereof) and now, of late she has had incessant stomachaches that have really been taking away a lot of her QOL and left us constantly wondering what is going on and have us worrying about the Poop Situation (pooping really becomes a major event in a cf household sometimes, doesn't it.)

We've been pushing constantly to increase the fat & calories... this child is eating all the time and it cannot possibly be a deficit of calories at fault here. I was trying to find some information for someone about something else before and inadvertently came across symptoms of depleted sodium in CF and realized that stomachaches, nausea and POOR GROWTH can result. I hear mostly about sodium supplementation being necessary with babies and therefore don't pay much attention to that (she's almost 9 and wasn't dx'ed until 7.5) and do hear 'add salty snacks' when it's hot or she's exercising a lot... but is it possible we've been missing this for a while now? Have any of your kids had problems like this due to low sodium?

I don't know why but I never realized the consequences of low sodium could be digestive/growth. She is due for her labs next clinic appt, so we haven't checked on electrolytes in quite some time.

hmw

hmw

hmw

<br />
<br />We've been pushing constantly to increase the fat & calories... this child is eating all the time and it cannot possibly be a deficit of calories at fault here. I was trying to find some information for someone about something else before and inadvertently came across symptoms of depleted sodium in CF and realized that stomachaches, nausea and POOR GROWTH can result. I hear mostly about sodium supplementation being necessary with babies and therefore don't pay much attention to that (she's almost 9 and wasn't dx'ed until 7.5) and do hear 'add salty snacks' when it's hot or she's exercising a lot... but is it possible we've been missing this for a while now? Have any of your kids had problems like this due to low sodium?
<br />
<br />I don't know why but I never realized the consequences of low sodium could be digestive/growth. She is due for her labs next clinic appt, so we haven't checked on electrolytes in quite some time.
<br />
<br />What a relief it would be if there was something we could remedy like this!

ehtansky21

I could be REALLY wrong, but.....I believe the whole essence of Cystic Fibrosis is the inability of the body to deal with salt appropriately. Thus, there is a need for high quantities and qualities of salt.
I put a couple scoops of sea salt in the boys' bath.
They drink water with ELITE (a highly concentrated amount of electrolytes) mixed in with it, all the time.
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.amazon.com/Elete-Electrolyte-Add-In-16oz/dp/B0025UJTX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1265674721&sr=8-1
">http://www.amazon.com/Elete-El...qid=1265674721&sr=8-1
</a>I put salt on everything I can, the more fat I add, the more salt I can add. It seems like they neutralize each other's taste.
I buy a high quality salt called REAL SALT. It is less refined and contains the natural minerals that come along with salt.

blessings,
missa

ehtansky21

I could be REALLY wrong, but.....I believe the whole essence of Cystic Fibrosis is the inability of the body to deal with salt appropriately. Thus, there is a need for high quantities and qualities of salt.
They drink water with ELITE (a highly concentrated amount of electrolytes) mixed in with it, all the time.
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.amazon.com/Elete-Electrolyte-Add-In-16oz/dp/B0025UJTX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1265674721&sr=8-1
</a>I put salt on everything I can, the more fat I add, the more salt I can add. It seems like they neutralize each other's taste.
I buy a high quality salt called REAL SALT. It is less refined and contains the natural minerals that come along with salt.

blessings,
missa

ehtansky21

blessings,
missa

ehtansky21

blessings,
missa

ehtansky21

<br />I put a couple scoops of sea salt in the boys' bath.
<br />They drink water with ELITE (a highly concentrated amount of electrolytes) mixed in with it, all the time.
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.amazon.com/Elete-Electrolyte-Add-In-16oz/dp/B0025UJTX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1265674721&sr=8-1
</a><br />I put salt on everything I can, the more fat I add, the more salt I can add. It seems like they neutralize each other's taste.
<br />I buy a high quality salt called REAL SALT. It is less refined and contains the natural minerals that come along with salt.
<br />
<br />blessings,
<br />missa

hmw

Thanks Missa. Does the Elite add a lot of taste to the water? Emily loves water and would drink it straight all day... she doesn't care for most flavors of Gatorade or Pedialyte (doesn't care for much juice either, for that matter) and I noticed that the Elite is unflavored/unsweetened, etc- that might work better for her.

hmw

Thanks Missa. Does the Elite add a lot of taste to the water? Emily loves water and would drink it straight all day... she doesn't care for most flavors of Gatorade or Pedialyte (doesn't care for much juice either, for that matter) and I noticed that the Elite is unflavored/unsweetened, etc- that might work better for her.

hmw

hmw

hmw

ehtansky21

I can tell that there is a little salty taste. The kids don't mind, they can't even tell the difference when I give them regular water.

ehtansky21

I can tell that there is a little salty taste. The kids don't mind, they can't even tell the difference when I give them regular water.

ehtansky21

ehtansky21

ehtansky21