Is Texas a good state to live in with CF, are Insurance and CF Hospitals/Centers good

azdesertrat

Being the son of an Army Aviator, I was diagnosed 1 1/2 months after birth at Ft. Sam Houston.
If it wasn't for the fact Dad had joined the Army, I probably wouldn't be here at this time.
I received the best healthcare the US Taxpayers could afford.
Here's hoping Texas is as good to you as She was to me.

eganhouselisa

Could someone tell me the name of the CFF clinic here in Austin? I just moved here from Iowa and need to establish care. Thanks! LIsa

triples15

Super Moderator
Could someone tell me the name of the CFF clinic here in Austin? I just moved here from Iowa and need to establish care. Thanks! LIsa

Hey Lisa!

The CF clinic is at Dell Children's Hospital, but adult patients are hospitalized at Seton hospital. I've been going there over a year now, and I'm not sure if it technically has a name? ;) My bills come from "Austin Children's Chest Associates" and "Seton". The adult doc is Dr. Fullmer, the nurse is Kelli. The phone number for scheduling an appointment is (512) 324-0137.

Best of luck to you with your transition. I think you will be happy at Austin. Let me know if I can help with any other questions.

Autumn

eganhouselisa

Thanks so much Autumn. I will call to schedule - I appreciate it! :)

Hey Lisa!

The CF clinic is at Dell Children's Hospital, but adult patients are hospitalized at Seton hospital. I've been going there over a year now, and I'm not sure if it technically has a name? ;) My bills come from "Austin Children's Chest Associates" and "Seton". The adult doc is Dr. Fullmer, the nurse is Kelli. The phone number for scheduling an appointment is (512) 324-0137.

Best of luck to you with your transition. I think you will be happy at Austin. Let me know if I can help with any other questions.

Autumn

draz91

Hi Everyone,

I'm just checking in to see if the state of Private Insurance has improved for CF patients who live their and if any government programs have improved coverage for adults who work yet need prescriptions covered and hospitalizations covered as well? Are there any CF adults in Texas who work full time and have a good insurance situation is what I guess I'm getting trying to get at?

Much appreciated and thank you all for contributing to the thread...

Jason

Poolshark

Texas is not a good state in terms of government programs. We opted out of Medicaid expansion. There is no state income tax so there is not alot of money for the needs of the population in terms of things like healthcare and education. "Texas fell well below average, ranking 49 th, in the “Health Care Access” category". http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2016/09/07/is-texas-among-the-best-and-worst-states-for.html
My daughter is an adult but under 26 so she is still on my policy. The Healthwell foundation, a private organization is a big help with copays for medications.

M.

triples15

Super Moderator
Hi Everyone,

I'm just checking in to see if the state of Private Insurance has improved for CF patients who live their and if any government programs have improved coverage for adults who work yet need prescriptions covered and hospitalizations covered as well? Are there any CF adults in Texas who work full time and have a good insurance situation is what I guess I'm getting trying to get at?

Much appreciated and thank you all for contributing to the thread...

Jason

Hi again Jason!

We recently moved back to Nebraska, but I did have BCBS of TX for about 2 1/2 years. It was through my husband's employer and was pretty good. I can't recall having a problem getting them to cover anything CF related. So to answer your question, yes, I think if you have insurance through full-time employment you could find pretty good coverage. Depending on the employer, of course, just like anywhere else. I think the problem lies with folks needing government programs/assistance. As some mentioned, Texas doesn't collect state taxes and generally doesn't put a ton of money into healthcare. I'm not aware of any state programs that help with prescription copays, hospitalizations etc. Except, of course, Medicaid. Someone else mentioned the Healthwell Foundation, which is also the copay program I use for help with my high out-of-pocket costs. That is something you could look into if you're not already using it.

Good luck you!

Autumn

draz91

Thanks Autumn! You have some great knowledge and experience and glad you can share. Much appreciated!

- Jason