Is where we live better or worse for our CF up keep?

kjorgen1

Hello,<br><br>After living in Colorado and Wyoming and moving to Pensacola, Florida. I have to say the cold air and dry climate felt better to me. With the humidity and ocean, I felt really congested all the time and the chance for mold growing around you is very good. <br>

C

CF45sucks

I have done extensive research on this topic and I can tell you the higher altitude that you live in the better, this is not only true for CF patients but the general population. If you do research you will see that people just live longer lives the higher up you go. The airborne bacteria has a harder time growing the further up you go and the air is cleaner as a whole. Also, the dry arid regions in the southwest part of the United States have proven to be good environments for anyone with pulmonary issues including CF. Several older folks who are battling different pulmonary issues go west during times when the air is not kind to them in their area.

I live in West Texas and battle bad infections during the spring, summer, and fall when the humidity is high and the temperatures don't allow for any of the bacteria to die. I have been considering a move to a higher altitude in New Mexico for a long time but currently can't due to finances. My ultimate goal is to live as high up as possible in either New Mexico or Colorado.

Hope this helps

C

CF45sucks

I have done extensive research on this topic and I can tell you the higher altitude that you live in the better, this is not only true for CF patients but the general population. If you do research you will see that people just live longer lives the higher up you go. The airborne bacteria has a harder time growing the further up you go and the air is cleaner as a whole. Also, the dry arid regions in the southwest part of the United States have proven to be good environments for anyone with pulmonary issues including CF. Several older folks who are battling different pulmonary issues go west during times when the air is not kind to them in their area.

I live in West Texas and battle bad infections during the spring, summer, and fall when the humidity is high and the temperatures don't allow for any of the bacteria to die. I have been considering a move to a higher altitude in New Mexico for a long time but currently can't due to finances. My ultimate goal is to live as high up as possible in either New Mexico or Colorado.

Hope this helps

CyrilCrodius

I don't have a hard time to believe that we do better in cold climates... I know that I have a harder time breathing when it's hot outside... also, heat really increases the chances of hemoptysis, I guess because of vasodilation? Maybe...
I live in the great white north and the cold has never been a problem to me.

cppoignand

My 13 yo daughter has commented that the air in Nova Scotia, Canada is the best for her. We have travelled extensively - she has also liked the salt air in Costa Rica and the dry air in Arizona. Above all, she likes Nova Scotia, which I believe is due to low air pollution, ocean air, and cooler, less humid days.