IV ball options?

rubyroselee

Hi,

I was just curious, are there any of those IV balls (eclipse?) available for PA medicines? Specifically meropenem? Just wondering for next time I need IV's. I'd really like to be able to work during the day next time without much interruption, so I'm hoping there are options for the portable IV meds rather than the standard IV bag/pole.

Thanks!

B

Beaz

We've used Eclipse balls for many different meds, including meropenem. They are super easy to use and the freedom they afford is life-changing!

S

stephen

Rubyroselee,

Let me second what Beax said. I too have used the "IV Balls" for Meropenem, as well as other antibiotics.

They're really easy to use and provide a large degree of freedom. When I was working, there were time when I would would go out to the parking lot for 45 minutes and do an IV treatment there. I've even done IV treatments when driving my car.

Obviously it would be better if you didn't need IV antibiotics, but if you do, the "IV Balls" are a great way to go.

One draw back maybe insurance coverage. The last few times I needed it my provider was Medicare, and they didn't cover home IV. I had to pay about $40 a day to cover the "home device" portion.

JustaCFmom

View attachment 535 http://www.cfmedicine.com/cfdocs/cftext/homeiv.htm

I am assuming that this is what you are talking about.

My daughter has never been in hospital and she did this for of IV treatment a few months ago. It worked out really well for her. She had one for Amikacin and another for a different medicine. One was infused over 23 hours and the other for just one hour. We never dealt with IV poles.

She had it down to a fine art. She would hook up to the 23 hour ball around 6pm, so it would be significantly lighter and smaller by the time she had to be in school. Then, disconnect around 5pm to do the 1 hour med. Generally, she could forget about everything until the evening. She wore the 23 hour med inside a sock, secured to her leg, hanging under a skirt. It was discreet and inconspicuous. The system worked well for her and I think it is more ideal to have the medicine infused evenly throughout the day.

This was for treating Pseudomonas.

Good luck!

K

kenna2

I have always used these and they're amazing. They allow for so much freedom. If you're at home doing meds ask to see if your meds can be delivered in the IV ball. However, there are some meds that can't be placed in them due to some reactions it might have. Always ask! DOWN WITH THE IV POLE!!! lol

D

Deb

Fortunately I have not been on IV meds for quite some time but I did home IV treatments for years and the "balls" are the best by far for trying to maintain a normal routine. However, I got to the point where my insurance would no longer cover them. They cost a lot of extra money. Also, I don't remember which med, but I used one for which I was told the only acceptable way was the hanging bag on an IV pole. If your insurance covers it, go for it. But if you have a cap on your insurance be aware they you are spending a lot more for the ease of the balls.

jaimers

Super Moderator
I've used those many times. They are the best! Ideal if you're hoping to keep working--they can be popped in your pocket or I would run the tubing down my sleeve and into my purse/bag if I had to be out and about running errands or something.

mamaScarlett

Hi, I'm on Imipenem, Tobramycin and Vancomycin all via eclipse. They're also giving me 500cc a day of hydration via eclipse. I'm hooked up much of the day but I don't care-anything is better than a pole in the house or pump beeping all night!

mamaScarlett

Oh also-one of my meds wasn't available via eclipse, the imipenem. It was that particular home care co didn't carry it. So my nurse opted for a different home care co that did carry it. Imipenem-similar to Meropenem-can't be pre mixed in the ball ahead of time. So a simple solution is, they give me a filled eclipse with sodium chloride, I draw out of the med bottle with a syringe and put it in the eclipse right before administering my dose. Its very easy. Nurse taught me how to do it, has been no problem.

aslong

I was told the Ball could not be used with Meropenem... How do you keep it stable? Once mixed it has to be used within a short time. Just curious because I will be asking questions if I go on it again.

triples15

Super Moderator
I was told the Ball could not be used with Meropenem... How do you keep it stable? Once mixed it has to be used within a short time. Just curious because I will be asking questions if I go on it again.

I was told the same thing regarding Meropenum. I did my others in a syringe pump or the ball, but I had to hang the darn meropenum the old school way. Ugh.

The other thing I wanted to mention in case it helps anyone, is that you may have to specifically ask (or even push) for the eclipse balls. As others mentioned, they are more expensive so the pharmacy/home care companies would rather take the cheaper route and give you the pump or gravity bags. If you have a choice in who you use for home health this might even be a good question to ask before you choose who to use.

Take care and best of luck!

Autumn

B

Beaz

Our home care only sends a four day supply of Meropenem at a time, as opposed to the normal weeks supply of other abx. They claim it is stable, refrigerated, for four days.
We have also been using a fairly new drug, Ceftaroline, for MRSA. It has to be mixed immediately prior to administration, then put into the ball which already has saline in it. Home care showed me how to do this and it's not hard...heck, even my husband can do it!

rubyroselee

This is awesome news! I'm happy to hear there are these balls for PA meds. Yay! I will definitely be asking about them next time I need them. Hopefully the insurance will pay for them. So does anyone then do the IVs at work? I think that's my biggest challenge. Last time I was on IVs I had to leave work early every day to do my afternoon dose. It was hard and tiring, and my coworkers didn't really understand what was going on with me. Ugh. If I didn't have to leave work it would be better.

occupyjapan

When I was very young, I remember having an IV ball (I was on my mom's private insurance plan, which covered them). I don't recall which drugs I was on. Presumably Tobramyin and maybe Timentin (ticarcillin) though it was so long ago that I may be confusing that with AUGmentin (which I was definitely on a lot back then, so I'm not totally sure.

These days, my insurance doesn't cover IV balls, but that's fine as the drugs that are a silver bullet for me during a more severe exacerbation are ceftazidime (which can be injected over the course of 5 minutes with a huge syringe or nebulized), Tobi (inhaled) and Zyvox (oral).