IV Cipro

idajune

Hey all - I have been searching the internet for info on this and thought I should check with those who might know what I am talking about.

Has anyone been on IV Cipro and had numbness or tingling (like when your foot falls asleep from sitting on it)? I have been on IV Cipro for two weeks, and last night my whole left side, from the tips of my fingers to my toes went tingly and numb, like they weren't part of my body. I looked it up and it says it is a side effect but when I called to talk to the Pharmacist he said it was new to him. Then he asked if I had seen online in my search a black box warning, well no, but in further research I found the people are pushing the FDA to require this black box warning on these types of drugs. There is also a risk of tendon rupture - and I have noticed my wrist has been very sore for the last week or so.

Any one have anything to share on this subject.

Thanks.

idajune

Hey all - I have been searching the internet for info on this and thought I should check with those who might know what I am talking about.

Has anyone been on IV Cipro and had numbness or tingling (like when your foot falls asleep from sitting on it)? I have been on IV Cipro for two weeks, and last night my whole left side, from the tips of my fingers to my toes went tingly and numb, like they weren't part of my body. I looked it up and it says it is a side effect but when I called to talk to the Pharmacist he said it was new to him. Then he asked if I had seen online in my search a black box warning, well no, but in further research I found the people are pushing the FDA to require this black box warning on these types of drugs. There is also a risk of tendon rupture - and I have noticed my wrist has been very sore for the last week or so.

Thanks.

idajune

Thanks.

JazzysMom

We have had a few members with the tendon issues connected to CF, but I dont recall the issues you are describing. I have never done Cipro via IV, but I know someone who has so I will inquire when I speak with her.

JazzysMom

We have had a few members with the tendon issues connected to CF, but I dont recall the issues you are describing. I have never done Cipro via IV, but I know someone who has so I will inquire when I speak with her.

JazzysMom

dramamama

YES!! Be aware that cipro leaches magnesium and when you get too deficient in this mineral you can start having all of these symptoms!!!

It is IMPERATIVE to get on a magnesium supplement immedaitely...whether you want to have them test your blood or not...you need to be on one.

In the summer of 2002, I had my first severe reaction to cipro iv. They tried to switch me to levaquin (oral) and my joints got even worse and the numbness increased. At that point, they put me back on iv cipro while I was at home. My walking got so painful...they were telling me it was my arthritis....that I went in to the hospital. My bloodwork showed no real deficits and no magnesium was prescribed.

I decided they were killing me and left against medical advice because I really felt NO ONE was listening to me. I started doing research on the subject of magnesium deficiency, vit deficits and overall nutritional status of cfers.

In late 2003, I was put back on cipro iv, but THIS TIME I was armed. ANYTIME I am on Ivs I take a little extra of my cal-mag supplement and I do not have any of the nerve issues or the pain. I use the Blubonnet CAL-MAG-ZINc liqui-gels. I take four a day intead of three and I swear by them. I have to say that I take a lot of supplements, but for what you are describing, I believe this will help the most.

They say you are not supposed to take this cipro with magnesium b/c it renders the cipro useless. Just don't take them at the same time.... about 2 hours from taking the cipro. Personally, I think that just means with oral cipro...but I decided to humor my doctor on that one.

PM me if you want any info on magnesium and ALL the things it does in the body. If you are on ivs and you have not been supplementing, you really need to. The nerve Damage and joint damsge from Cipro can be permanent....

mandy

dramamama

YES!! Be aware that cipro leaches magnesium and when you get too deficient in this mineral you can start having all of these symptoms!!!

It is IMPERATIVE to get on a magnesium supplement immedaitely...whether you want to have them test your blood or not...you need to be on one.

In the summer of 2002, I had my first severe reaction to cipro iv. They tried to switch me to levaquin (oral) and my joints got even worse and the numbness increased. At that point, they put me back on iv cipro while I was at home. My walking got so painful...they were telling me it was my arthritis....that I went in to the hospital. My bloodwork showed no real deficits and no magnesium was prescribed.

I decided they were killing me and left against medical advice because I really felt NO ONE was listening to me. I started doing research on the subject of magnesium deficiency, vit deficits and overall nutritional status of cfers.

In late 2003, I was put back on cipro iv, but THIS TIME I was armed. ANYTIME I am on Ivs I take a little extra of my cal-mag supplement and I do not have any of the nerve issues or the pain. I use the Blubonnet CAL-MAG-ZINc liqui-gels. I take four a day intead of three and I swear by them. I have to say that I take a lot of supplements, but for what you are describing, I believe this will help the most.

They say you are not supposed to take this cipro with magnesium b/c it renders the cipro useless. Just don't take them at the same time.... about 2 hours from taking the cipro. Personally, I think that just means with oral cipro...but I decided to humor my doctor on that one.

PM me if you want any info on magnesium and ALL the things it does in the body. If you are on ivs and you have not been supplementing, you really need to. The nerve Damage and joint damsge from Cipro can be permanent....

mandy

dramamama

mandy

dramamama

Hi..
Just was doing some research on magnesium and cipro and came across this study....have to do with quinolones...(cipro)

<b>Pathogenesis of chondrotoxicity can probably be explained by the magnesium-chelating properties of these drugs.</b> As juveniles are especially sensitive, use of these drugs in paediatrics should be restricted to carefully selected indications (such as the use of ciprofloxacin in cystic fibrosis). Another manifestation of the toxic effects of quinolones on connective tissue structures are tendopathies. Tendinitis and tendon ruptures have occurred as late as several months after quinolone treatment. Overall, quinolones are well tolerated drugs. Their specific toxic potentials have to be considered when they are chosen for treatment of bacterial infections.

dramamama

Hi..
Just was doing some research on magnesium and cipro and came across this study....have to do with quinolones...(cipro)

<b>Pathogenesis of chondrotoxicity can probably be explained by the magnesium-chelating properties of these drugs.</b> As juveniles are especially sensitive, use of these drugs in paediatrics should be restricted to carefully selected indications (such as the use of ciprofloxacin in cystic fibrosis). Another manifestation of the toxic effects of quinolones on connective tissue structures are tendopathies. Tendinitis and tendon ruptures have occurred as late as several months after quinolone treatment. Overall, quinolones are well tolerated drugs. Their specific toxic potentials have to be considered when they are chosen for treatment of bacterial infections.

dramamama

Hi..