IVF costs

idajune

I was given the news this week that my FEV1 is too low to consider pregnancy. It isn't a matter of proving anyone wrong at this point, which I have always loved to do but my FEV1 is 35%pre albuterol 45% post albuterol, from what I understand. So my number is too low, can I get that up - somewhat I am sure but from looking back I have been there for a couple years, it took work to get to that point after 3 rough years. I want to get the number up, so I will keep trying......

But the point of this thread is we are considering surrogacy, using my eggs and husbands sperm, and hoping to have a friend or family member carry the baby (reducing the surrogacy cost and any other issues associated with a stranger). But I am curious what the cost of the IVF is. I am sure different places are different, but can someone give me an idea?

Also, as far as the moral/ethical issues associated with IVF, how do you deal with extra embryos or did you have worry about that?

Thanks, Sarah

idajune

I was given the news this week that my FEV1 is too low to consider pregnancy. It isn't a matter of proving anyone wrong at this point, which I have always loved to do but my FEV1 is 35%pre albuterol 45% post albuterol, from what I understand. So my number is too low, can I get that up - somewhat I am sure but from looking back I have been there for a couple years, it took work to get to that point after 3 rough years. I want to get the number up, so I will keep trying......

But the point of this thread is we are considering surrogacy, using my eggs and husbands sperm, and hoping to have a friend or family member carry the baby (reducing the surrogacy cost and any other issues associated with a stranger). But I am curious what the cost of the IVF is. I am sure different places are different, but can someone give me an idea?

Also, as far as the moral/ethical issues associated with IVF, how do you deal with extra embryos or did you have worry about that?

Thanks, Sarah

idajune

Thanks, Sarah

idajune

Thanks, Sarah

idajune

Thanks, Sarah

Hannah

Julie and I went to a clinic in Seattle, Northwest Center for Reproductive Sciences. It cost us around 15,000 when all was said and done. I actually live in Atlanta Georgia and had planned on doing it here but prices are different in different areas and we easily saved over 10,000 by doing it at this clinic.

Since your husband dosnt have Cf your cost will be alot lower!!!

As far as the ethical issues go I had some extreams in my family to deal with. I kept it all private from some of my family because they believed that disposing of the extra embryos was abortion but I viewed it as potential life. Like it takes three elements to make a fire... sure we had the embryos but it would never be life unless we desided to add the third element.... Anyways that may sound dumb but there are multiple options, you can donate them to science, donate them to another family or freeze them and save them for later (because it may take you a few trys) Tyler and I were going to save the rest for later but none of them survived until the 5 day.

Hope I helped... I'm sure someone else will post with way better info for you, just thought I do my part as you wait for what your looking for.

Hannah

Julie and I went to a clinic in Seattle, Northwest Center for Reproductive Sciences. It cost us around 15,000 when all was said and done. I actually live in Atlanta Georgia and had planned on doing it here but prices are different in different areas and we easily saved over 10,000 by doing it at this clinic.

As far as the ethical issues go I had some extreams in my family to deal with. I kept it all private from some of my family because they believed that disposing of the extra embryos was abortion but I viewed it as potential life. Like it takes three elements to make a fire... sure we had the embryos but it would never be life unless we desided to add the third element.... Anyways that may sound dumb but there are multiple options, you can donate them to science, donate them to another family or freeze them and save them for later (because it may take you a few trys) Tyler and I were going to save the rest for later but none of them survived until the 5 day.

Hope I helped... I'm sure someone else will post with way better info for you, just thought I do my part as you wait for what your looking for.

Hannah

Hannah

Hannah

tara

It depends on the clinic. I have CF and my husband doesn't. By the time we paid the final IVF cost it was $15,000 for us. There was nothing special about my cycle. I used my own eggs, and DH's own sperm. No special retrieval or ICSI procedures. I think the cycle itself was about $12,000 and the rest of the cost were other things, but mostly my stim medication. The cost varies from clinic to clinic. Find a clinic you're happy with. Shop around, after all, you are a customer and you deserve to feel comfortable there.

My IVF was nearly 4 years ago (January 2004) and our first cycle was a success. We didn't have any embryo's left to freeze. We retrieved 11 eggs, and 5 embryo's were created from those. We transferred 4 of them because they were all fairly poor quality. The fifth embie did not divide enough to be frozen on the sixth day (blastocyst stage) so he was discarded.

Good luck Sarah.

tara

It depends on the clinic. I have CF and my husband doesn't. By the time we paid the final IVF cost it was $15,000 for us. There was nothing special about my cycle. I used my own eggs, and DH's own sperm. No special retrieval or ICSI procedures. I think the cycle itself was about $12,000 and the rest of the cost were other things, but mostly my stim medication. The cost varies from clinic to clinic. Find a clinic you're happy with. Shop around, after all, you are a customer and you deserve to feel comfortable there.

My IVF was nearly 4 years ago (January 2004) and our first cycle was a success. We didn't have any embryo's left to freeze. We retrieved 11 eggs, and 5 embryo's were created from those. We transferred 4 of them because they were all fairly poor quality. The fifth embie did not divide enough to be frozen on the sixth day (blastocyst stage) so he was discarded.

Good luck Sarah.

tara

Good luck Sarah.

tara

Good luck Sarah.

tara

Good luck Sarah.

mom2lillian

the cost of the medication can vary widely by pharmacy used so I am not sure on that

my clinic costs were around $8000 (I think but mien was covered by insruance so not sure) but I live in rural MI and for whatever reason although our doctors are very good and perhaps best in state they keep prices low, we did ICSI but nothing else fancy

We have 11 frozen embryos and I would be lying if I said it didnt stress me out trying to figure out what to do with them, we will be doing a FET to try and get pregnant again and I am hopign for a few failures before a success to 'use them up' if that doesnt work we will look for soemoen wanting to adopt them but honestly I dont anticipate a big market for CF carrier embryos.

also to add that for me at least hte pregnancy was not the hard part (although mine was rough) it is the after part that is hard, the taking care of a baby and leading a normal life and fitting in treatments is much harder than the pregnancy in my opinion.

mom2lillian

the cost of the medication can vary widely by pharmacy used so I am not sure on that

my clinic costs were around $8000 (I think but mien was covered by insruance so not sure) but I live in rural MI and for whatever reason although our doctors are very good and perhaps best in state they keep prices low, we did ICSI but nothing else fancy

We have 11 frozen embryos and I would be lying if I said it didnt stress me out trying to figure out what to do with them, we will be doing a FET to try and get pregnant again and I am hopign for a few failures before a success to 'use them up' if that doesnt work we will look for soemoen wanting to adopt them but honestly I dont anticipate a big market for CF carrier embryos.

also to add that for me at least hte pregnancy was not the hard part (although mine was rough) it is the after part that is hard, the taking care of a baby and leading a normal life and fitting in treatments is much harder than the pregnancy in my opinion.

mom2lillian

mom2lillian

mom2lillian