IVF - Starting the Process

idajune

Tuesday we meet with the doctors in reproductive endocrinology. After accepting that being pregnant is not a wise choice we have spent the last 5 months trying to deal with the sadness of that. We came away from the appointment hopeful, we were there nearly two hours for our consult. We have decided to go ahead and retrieve my eggs and have them fertilized with my DH sperm and then freeze them. I have to do this while my health is still relatively good. According to the clinic the success rate for fresh and frozen transfers are very close, so when we are ready and our gestational carrier is ready we will transfer. I still have to get approval from my CF doc and the Cardiologists before we can proceed,but I am hopeful.

I know Julie mentioned a scholarship of sorts through somewhere, which I have checked out but think it will take too long to get and I really want to stay here for our retrieval process. But how or where did you all who have/had done IVF find the money to do so? Loans, credit cards (shutter at the thought)? I have to put a call into the clinics financial representative but thought I would see what you all had to say.

Thanks for any input.

idajune

Tuesday we meet with the doctors in reproductive endocrinology. After accepting that being pregnant is not a wise choice we have spent the last 5 months trying to deal with the sadness of that. We came away from the appointment hopeful, we were there nearly two hours for our consult. We have decided to go ahead and retrieve my eggs and have them fertilized with my DH sperm and then freeze them. I have to do this while my health is still relatively good. According to the clinic the success rate for fresh and frozen transfers are very close, so when we are ready and our gestational carrier is ready we will transfer. I still have to get approval from my CF doc and the Cardiologists before we can proceed,but I am hopeful.

I know Julie mentioned a scholarship of sorts through somewhere, which I have checked out but think it will take too long to get and I really want to stay here for our retrieval process. But how or where did you all who have/had done IVF find the money to do so? Loans, credit cards (shutter at the thought)? I have to put a call into the clinics financial representative but thought I would see what you all had to say.

Thanks for any input.

idajune

Thanks for any input.

idajune

Thanks for any input.

idajune

<br />
<br />I know Julie mentioned a scholarship of sorts through somewhere, which I have checked out but think it will take too long to get and I really want to stay here for our retrieval process. But how or where did you all who have/had done IVF find the money to do so? Loans, credit cards (shutter at the thought)? I have to put a call into the clinics financial representative but thought I would see what you all had to say.
<br />
<br />Thanks for any input.

tara

Hi Sarah,

It's unfortunate that IVF is so expensive. When my husband and I went through IVF we were cash pay patients, as in, our health insurance did not pay for anything related to IVF. In the end I think we spent about $15,000 for our one and only cycle. We ended up cashing in some stock we had saved over the previous 2 or 3 years.

Other than IVF scholarships and flat out asking relatives and friends for donations, my only other thought is to pursue a career where you know the health benefits include IVF coverage. I know there are some states (MA comes to mind) where if you work in a large enough company (100 or more people???) the company has to provide IVF coverage. (or something along those lines, at least that was the case in 2004.)

Another concern you might want to give thought to is not only the success rates of fresh vs frozen, but the success rates of the actual thawing procedure. I once read the success rate for thawing is about 70%, but it probably varies from clinic to clinic.

Good luck Sarah.

tara

Hi Sarah,

It's unfortunate that IVF is so expensive. When my husband and I went through IVF we were cash pay patients, as in, our health insurance did not pay for anything related to IVF. In the end I think we spent about $15,000 for our one and only cycle. We ended up cashing in some stock we had saved over the previous 2 or 3 years.

Other than IVF scholarships and flat out asking relatives and friends for donations, my only other thought is to pursue a career where you know the health benefits include IVF coverage. I know there are some states (MA comes to mind) where if you work in a large enough company (100 or more people???) the company has to provide IVF coverage. (or something along those lines, at least that was the case in 2004.)

Another concern you might want to give thought to is not only the success rates of fresh vs frozen, but the success rates of the actual thawing procedure. I once read the success rate for thawing is about 70%, but it probably varies from clinic to clinic.

Good luck Sarah.

tara

Hi Sarah,

Good luck Sarah.

tara

Hi Sarah,

Good luck Sarah.

tara

Hi Sarah,
<br />
<br />It's unfortunate that IVF is so expensive. When my husband and I went through IVF we were cash pay patients, as in, our health insurance did not pay for anything related to IVF. In the end I think we spent about $15,000 for our one and only cycle. We ended up cashing in some stock we had saved over the previous 2 or 3 years.
<br />
<br />Other than IVF scholarships and flat out asking relatives and friends for donations, my only other thought is to pursue a career where you know the health benefits include IVF coverage. I know there are some states (MA comes to mind) where if you work in a large enough company (100 or more people???) the company has to provide IVF coverage. (or something along those lines, at least that was the case in 2004.)
<br />
<br />Another concern you might want to give thought to is not only the success rates of fresh vs frozen, but the success rates of the actual thawing procedure. I once read the success rate for thawing is about 70%, but it probably varies from clinic to clinic.
<br />
<br />Good luck Sarah.

high22class

I have heard somewhere that capital one provided a loan for IVF, and then i have heard of a company called ARC that can also provide finacial assistance. I actually just went to the capital one website and found the link <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.capitalonehealthcarefinance.com/fertility/
">http://www.capitalonehealthcarefinance.com/fertility/
</a>
Good Luck!

high22class

I have heard somewhere that capital one provided a loan for IVF, and then i have heard of a company called ARC that can also provide finacial assistance. I actually just went to the capital one website and found the link <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.capitalonehealthcarefinance.com/fertility/
</a>
Good Luck!

high22class

</a>
Good Luck!

high22class

</a>
Good Luck!

high22class

</a><br />
<br />Good Luck!

idajune

Thank you for your replies. My husband is going to try and get a job at our hospital/clinic system here as they cover half of the meds for IVF, we shall see. I also checked out the capitalonehealthcarefianance website, that looks like a possible route. I can't ask family as they are not supportive of this decision. But I have some friends who have said they would do a fund raiser, so we shall see. Hopefully some day I will post on here we have begun the process.

Thanks.

idajune

Thank you for your replies. My husband is going to try and get a job at our hospital/clinic system here as they cover half of the meds for IVF, we shall see. I also checked out the capitalonehealthcarefianance website, that looks like a possible route. I can't ask family as they are not supportive of this decision. But I have some friends who have said they would do a fund raiser, so we shall see. Hopefully some day I will post on here we have begun the process.

Thanks.

idajune

Thanks.

idajune

Thanks.

idajune

<br />
<br />Thanks.